Ok to ride Team Bikes - yes or no?

2»

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    only mass produced ones like Mr Porky.

ones from Edwyn's thatcome just hand tied in plastic bags are just sheer portions of hand cooked joy.

Not single-use plastic bags I hope? :roll:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    no - they turn them inside out and then use them to store pickled eggs in.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CitizenLee
    no - they turn them inside out and then use them to store pickled eggs in.

That's good, as we wouldn't want a repeat of the banana skin debacle!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Matthewfalle
    agree. that would even do their nuts in.

imagine if they were team branded single use pork scratching bags?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mtpockets
    mtpockets Posts: 20
    Ride and wear whatever you want. Just be safe and considerate on the roads.

I like to wear a replica yellow jersey and white shorts. Then pootle along with no helmet, reflectors on my team bike wheels, and a bell.
  • CitizenLee
    agree. that would even do their nuts in.

imagine if they were team branded single use pork scratching bags?

:lol:

Well that would certainly be a conundrum!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    43692075092_2741426510_o.jpg
  • CitizenLee
    apreading wrote:

takemymoney.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Team shorts are a definite no no when they are white, starting to become see-through and you decide to wear them on the commute, as I pointed out to the guy this morning. To be fair he was grateful for the tip as he didn't realise they were so see-through I could almost see what he had for dinner last night.....
  • Matthewfalle
    CitizenLee wrote:
    apreading wrote:

takemymoney.jpg

pwwwwwwooooarrr. GET IN MY SON.

imagine TDNFNATN wearing that under her lab coat.

damn good work that man :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,866
    Team shorts are a definite no no when they are white, starting to become see-through and you decide to wear them on the commute, as I pointed out to the guy this morning. To be fair he was grateful for the tip as he didn't realise they were so see-through I could almost see what he had for dinner last night.....
    White shorts and wet weather?
    Nnnnnnoooooooooooo! Never, ever, never.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I've changed my stance on this over the years ie. there are bigger problems to worry about. I don't know the percentages but compared with 20 years ago it feels that a huge number of cyclists including clubs think they own the road riding 2 or 3 abreast, in chaingangs cars can't pass, fingers up and verbal abuse at the slightest hint of anything, attitude of owning the roads, not thanking car drivers for their patience, riding past if you're mending anything without asking if you're okay

Thats the influx off BMW driving golfers & dentists for you.

Cyclings social econmic demographic has changed,club cycling used to be more "working class" types
  • deano802
    deano802 Posts: 67
    Moonbiker wrote:
    I've changed my stance on this over the years ie. there are bigger problems to worry about. I don't know the percentages but compared with 20 years ago it feels that a huge number of cyclists including clubs think they own the road riding 2 or 3 abreast, in chaingangs cars can't pass, fingers up and verbal abuse at the slightest hint of anything, attitude of owning the roads, not thanking car drivers for their patience, riding past if you're mending anything without asking if you're okay

Cyclings social econmic demographic has changed,club cycling used to be more "working class" types

I think your comment is wide of the mark even though I'm sure you intend to be taken with a pinch of salt which I do. I happen to fall into your middle class cliché perfectly, I drive a bmw, I love golf, started riding a flash carbon bike even though I'm not very fast and I just love all the gear, even have a mate whos a dentist but he only likes squash and marathons.

With all that being said one thing I am definitely not is a d1ck, I put empty gel wrappers and banana skins in my jersey pocket and will stop to help anyone with a puncture, also can't stand people that think they are riding the Tdf Tt and can't even nod a hello from the other side of the road. Last week I stopped the effort in the middle of a personal tt circuit as some one got on my wheel and said hello(shows you how fast I was going!), we ended up having a nice few miles chat as I helped him with directions.

Class, money, upbringing has nothing to do with all of this, there are some grade A d1cks and good blokes or women from every walk of life.

To the op, i don't personaly wear replica tops but would love a team bike, think they look great.
  • Matthewfalle
    Moonbiker wrote:

No it didn't - it just used to be less people who thought that they were important and bought arrogance and ignorance into a tranquillo area of life.

There were always nobber clubbies who looked down on people and thought you had to earn the right to whatever but you could see and avoid them due to their ridiculous clothing, now its more difficult until its too late.

REMEBER THE MANTRA:

BUY THE BIKE
    BUY THE CLOTHES
    LISTEN TO SMITHY
    ALL WILL BE WELL

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

No it didn't - it just used to be less people who thought that they were important and bought arrogance and ignorance into a tranquillo area of life.

There were always nobber clubbies who looked down on people and thought you had to earn the right to whatever but you could see and avoid them due to their ridiculous clothing, now its more difficult until its too late.

REMEBER THE MANTRA:

BUY THE BIKE
    BUY THE CLOTHES
    LISTEN TO SMITHY
    ALL WILL BE WELL

At the risk of this thread turning into yet another matthewfalle w@nkfest, the above is just utter, utter garbage...
  • deano802
    How ironic I came across this article today from ex pro Phil Gaimon

http://philthethrill.net/the-new-rules- ... iluminati/
  • Matthewfalle
    Deano802 wrote:
    How ironic I came across this article today from ex pro Phil Gaimon

http://philthethrill.net/the-new-rules- ... iluminati/

Nice. The MFs like this.

Many thanks for posting.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • People should ride whichever bike and kit they like the most. Who cares about which team colours they are? I guess I’d draw the line at discovery channel / U.S. postal. But otherwise really?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,397
    Good on Phil

Fully behind the wear what you like. With the bike my only caution would be is that the Matt Black version is probably identical and a bit cheaper. But, if its not (mine wasnt) then meh.

I use a pair of Rapha Sky shorts with whatever jersey I feel like becasue when Sky left Rapha they were on sale to a point where I could afford a pair of Rapha shorts. No one cares.

If you ever reach the point where the kit/gear collecting begins to take over the biking though, ponder Lael Wilcox who rides across continents faster than pretty much anyone else weariing a pair of boardies and a tank top...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • deano802
    ddraver wrote:

If you ever reach the point where the kit/gear collecting begins to take over the biking though, ponder Lael Wilcox who rides across continents faster than pretty much anyone else weariing a pair of boardies and a tank top...

Like the bloke who turned up to our Saturday morning newbies welcome club run on his heavy steel bike with running shoes shorts and t shirt then preceded to float up every hill out the saddle like Nairo Quintana, not a drop of sweat.
  • Matthewfalle
    People should ride whichever bike and kit they like the most. Who cares about which team colours they are? I guess I’d draw the line at discovery channel / U.S. postal. But otherwise really?

Errr - I have a Discovery Trek (or is it USPS - can't remember. I think its USPS. One of the black ones.) as the holiday bike. I got it for nothing so am not bothered that its either a Trek or those colours. I wouldn't pay money for a Trek of any sort tbh.......

Best mate has USPS as above and its incredibly retro cool.

No worse than riding whatever Festina or anyone else of that era rode.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Broono83
    Broono83 Posts: 75
    cld531c wrote:
    I keep seeing a bloke in full team GB kit and must admit I think he looks daft (as unless the criteria has changed dramatically I very much doubt he is paid to wear it). For me, jersey OK, bike OK, jersey and bike OK but jersey and shorts no and jersey, shoprts and bike big no.
    However as said above, if you are comfortable, wear and ride what you like.

Aldi or Lidl were punting all the Team GB stuff for pennies a year or 2 ago.

I know cos I bought the shorts, top and mits which were decent for the price. Never wore them altogether mind, just mix and match.

However I wear the shorts under over shorts and have never worn the top as I'm an increasingly bat fastard :D