Ok to ride Team Bikes - yes or no?

velokev
velokev Posts: 20
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
So, it was only after I had invested in some dimension data and british cycling jerseys that I liked the look of that I discovered that wearing team kit was a bit of a no no.

I'm not that bothered but I do find myself discouraged from wearing them depending what I'm up to and who i'm with...

Anyway, does the same apply for team bikes? I've found a frame that I really like and I prefer it in the team colorway than any of the other colours it is available in and wanted to know how much stick I would get if I go for the team version?

I'm not planning on wearing matching team kit when riding the bike.... i'm not that bad.

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Yes, it's fine.

Although if it's the Astana coloured Argon Nitrogen on Merlin I would save the cash and get the normal coloured one for very little money (that's what I did despite liking the blue)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    velokev wrote:
    So, it was only after I had invested in some dimension data and british cycling jerseys that I liked the look of that I discovered that wearing team kit was a bit of a no no.

I'm not that bothered but I do find myself discouraged from wearing them depending what I'm up to and who i'm with...

Anyway, does the same apply for team bikes? I've found a frame that I really like and I prefer it in the team colorway than any of the other colours it is available in and wanted to know how much stick I would get if I go for the team version?

I'm not planning on wearing matching team kit when riding the bike.... i'm not that bad.
    Utter utter utter bullshyyyt.

You work for your money.

You spend your money how you want.

You like the tops, you buy the the tops, you can wear the tops.

Wear the tops, ride the bike: stuff everyone else who says otherwise.

You would not get any stick from any of the MFs, anyone they ride with or anyone who is half way normal. Anyone who says anything else is a Dotard.

Now cue furious posts that say that you haven’t earned the right to spend your money in the way you want.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Maybe avoid the jersey AND the bike at once, but at the end of the day why give a toss what other people think.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Wear whatever you want and ride whatever team bike you want. If you cared about what others think you'd never be a cyclist or wear lycra.
  • Wear the team jersey. Ride the team bike and get one of your mates to drive behind you in an estate car with some bikes on the roof.

As per the the other post. I couldn't give a toss what other people think what I'm wearing or riding.

I'm just happy to be out of the house and away from the daily grind for a couple of hours.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I'm happy for people to continue to avoid buying team kit as I bought a very nice castelli Cannondale team jersey for £25 before Christmas, presumably because nobody wanted them despite being the same as the other coloured non-team jerseys
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Fenix wrote:
    Wear whatever you want and ride whatever team bike you want.
    This covers it for me.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Team bikes, team kit, I don't think it's a no no either. Of course if you match jersey, shorts and bike people are going to smile but for me not in a bad way, others may differ.

I tend to avoid most team kit these days but mainly because non-team kit design has come on a lot and even if it's cheap I'd rather buy something I liked - I've literally never heard anyone scoff at someone for not deserving to wear a team jersey - world champs and uk national champs maybe different but even then personally I couldn't give a toss.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • velokev
    Thanks for the positive replies people!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I'm a fan of staying minimalist and low key, so I'll play Devil's Advocate here with a little story...

There's a guy at my work who drives a Subaru WRX Impreza. Even if you'd never seen his car you'd know this however, as he wears a Subraru WRX jacket and has a Subaru WRX hat, Subaru WRX gloves, Subaru WRX holdall and various different Subaru WRX t-shirts. I think he even has some some Subaru tat on his desk. I remember he looked confused when I asked how long he'd been sponsored/rallying for them.

Now, there's nothing at all wrong with Subarus, but do you really want to be that guy?

Jokes aside, it's your money though so spend it how you want ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • deano802
    deano802 Posts: 67
    Fenix wrote:
    Wear whatever you want and ride whatever team bike you want. If you cared about what others think you'd never be a cyclist or wear lycra.

:lol: just realised how true that is!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'm all for wearing team kit and if you happen to ride the same team bike, so what. If you're a beanpole and look the part, even better. Where I personally draw the line is with WC and National Champion stripes. I'd never wear them as I didn't earn them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    LISTEN TO SMITHY

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I'm a fan of staying minimalist and low key, so I'll play Devil's Advocate here with a little story...

There's a guy at my work who drives a Subaru WRX Impreza. Even if you'd never seen his car you'd know this however, as he wears a Subraru WRX jacket and has a Subaru WRX hat, Subaru WRX gloves, Subaru WRX holdall and various different Subaru WRX t-shirts. I think he even has some some Subaru tat on his desk. I remember he looked confused when I asked how long he'd been sponsored/rallying for them.

Now, there's nothing at all wrong with Subarus, but do you really want to be that guy?

Jokes aside, it's your money though so spend it how you want ;)
    If he only wore that kit while driving his Subaru then I'd say fair enough, up to him.
    I get the impression it is more than that, which is where the knob factor comes in...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    I keep seeing a bloke in full team GB kit and must admit I think he looks daft (as unless the criteria has changed dramatically I very much doubt he is paid to wear it). For me, jersey OK, bike OK, jersey and bike OK but jersey and shorts no and jersey, shoprts and bike big no.
    However as said above, if you are comfortable, wear and ride what you like.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    All for buy what you want and obviously you should buy a bike to enjoy not with an eye to re-selling but they are going to look dated if the team fold the next year, hitting your second hand value.

Of course, that works brilliantly in your favour if shops need to clear out defunct team stuff themselves. Just make sure someone else is taking the depreciation on the team leader being found with a suitcase of EPO.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I saw a complete muppet nodding his way up a climb in full Movistar kit yesterday and immediately laughed saying "what a f*****g tool". A hell of a lot of people laugh at people in full pro kit or it wouldn't be a reoccurring topic, there's not much to discuss there as it's been discussed and nobody changes their mind from either side of the argument.

As for team edition bikes, it doesn't matter really if the rider is wearing any normal gear, you see the rider not the bike unless you're really up close.

Kids wearing full team kit is ok, that's just like having posters in your bedroom, but adults doing it need to grow up.
  • velokev
    All for buy what you want and obviously you should buy a bike to enjoy not with an eye to re-selling but they are going to look dated if the team fold the next year, hitting your second hand value.

Of course, that works brilliantly in your favour if shops need to clear out defunct team stuff themselves. Just make sure someone else is taking the depreciation on the team leader being found with a suitcase of EPO.

Good point regarding devaluation; not too worried about that but agree it will look dated as soon as the next sessions bike comes out.... oh well, all things to consider.

Doesn't sound like i'm going to get too much hassle from the anti FKW brigade so that's good.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Nobody bats an eyelid if people wear a football or rugby top from their favourite club/nation etc. No reason why cycling should be any different, and indeed it doesnt seem to be any different anywhere apart from the UK. If you go to Italy, every cyclist will be wearing either team kit or club kit. Almost nobody wears anything without logos and sponsors on. And usually they have matching shorts/top - they are designed to go together so why not match them up?
  • Matthewfalle
    bollox to devaluation: by the time you go and sell it it'll be worn out and have scratches and some chips. you're getting it dirt cheap anyway.

we always wonder why people worry about this - why live your life in fear of something that may or may not happen in 5/10 years time.

As MF once sais, a life lived in fear is a life half lived.

buy the bike - it looks really nice. ride the bike. smile, enjoy and phunk the haterz.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    won't look dated - its not garish lije a Merida.

best mate has an original Madone in blue USPS - retro cool.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CitizenLee
    apreading wrote:
    Nobody bats an eyelid if people wear a football or rugby top from their favourite club/nation etc. No reason why cycling should be any different, and indeed it doesnt seem to be any different anywhere apart from the UK. If you go to Italy, every cyclist will be wearing either team kit or club kit. Almost nobody wears anything without logos and sponsors on. And usually they have matching shorts/top - they are designed to go together so why not match them up?

That one dad who turns up to his kids football practice in full Man U kit does look like a bit of a dick though, especially when he's huffing and puffing just getting out of the car. Or the skier who wears the full body suit to do blue runs at Glenshee.

All the gear... :wink:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Matthewfalle
    CitizenLee wrote:
    apreading wrote:

That one dad who turns up to his kids football practice in full Man U kit does look like a bit of a dick though, especially when he's huffing and puffing just getting out of the car. Or the skier who wears the full body suit to do blue runs at Glenshee.

who cares? they worked for to pay for it so let them wear it.

don't look any bigger dicks than the snootybloke who says things like all the gear ;)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    CitizenLee wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Maybe but if he was playing 5 a side and turned up in full Man U kit, who would notice?

As long as you are riding your bike when wearing full team kit, not sitting down the pub, I dont see what is wrong.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

Depends on the team. Some long gone team bikes and kit still look good today. Liquigas, Lampre, Saxobank etc etc
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    I've changed my stance on this over the years ie. there are bigger problems to worry about. I don't know the percentages but compared with 20 years ago it feels that a huge number of cyclists including clubs think they own the road riding 2 or 3 abreast, in chaingangs cars can't pass, fingers up and verbal abuse at the slightest hint of anything, attitude of owning the roads, not thanking car drivers for their patience, riding past if you're mending anything without asking if you're okay (I counted 38 of them once when walking 3 miles from Effingham to Cobham with my bike) etc. And I scratch my head as I say to myself many of them must be drivers too and appreciative of someone else asking if they're okay too?

It's got to the point when I have to endure predictable conversations from non-cyclists I just say I know, I know, I'm embarrassed to be a cyclist most of the time.

Since that's the 'companions' I am lumped with whether I like it or not I have to say I wouldn't give a stuff if they did not like team kit, bike/eqpt choices etc, as Matthew falle says just buy what you want to.
  • CitizenLee
    edited July 2018
    CitizenLee wrote:
    apreading wrote:

who cares? they worked for to pay for it so let them wear it.

don't look any bigger dicks than the snootybloke who says things like all the gear ;)

kek :D

Wow, the MFs are finally silent? Have I hit one of their nerves?

You can tell them I'm far from a snob, and I've already agreed people can wear what they like... makes no difference to me. I'm just poking fun ;)

@apreading - Don't mind me mate, I actually agree - but I also like to wind up the regulars.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Matthewfalle
    the MFs are eating pork scratchings and watching Cagney & Lacey.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CitizenLee
    the MFs are eating pork scratchings and watching Cagney & Lacey.

Do they still come with bits of hair attached? The pork scratchings that is, not the MFs.

EDIT: Sorry, I shouldn't judge, it's their money and they can eat what they like ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Matthewfalle
    only mass produced ones like Mr Porky.

ones from Edwyn's thatcome just hand tied in plastic bags are just sheer portions of hand cooked joy.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.