Hunt 50 Carbon Aero Disc wheels

hd264
hd264 Posts: 21
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to upgrade my Kinesis Crosslight CX discs on my road bike to some nice aero carbon wheels...
The ones that I've got eyes on atm are the Hunt 50 Carbon Aero Disc. Does anyone have any experience with them or indeed any of the Hunt carbon wheels?

Cheers

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    just built a bike up with them

nice wheels, nicely made, come with spare spokes, spoke key, all the trendy bits of cardboard dockets signed off by (allegedly) the bloke who built the wheels. very en vogue re bits of tat in the box and a very trendy make.

overly expensive for what they are though - generic carbon rim with generic hub and spokes. no better than Farsport or Carbonzone for half the price. i'd go Carbonzone and spend the balance on hos n blow.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • just built a bike up with them

nice wheels, nicely made, come with spare spokes, spoke key, all the trendy bits of cardboard dockets signed off by (allegedly) the bloke who built the wheels. very en vogue re bits of tat in the box and a very trendy make.

overly expensive for what they are though - generic carbon rim with generic hub and spokes. no better than Farsport or Carbonzone for half the price. i'd go Carbonzone and spend the balance on hos n blow.

Totally agree. About £300 overpriced, seem to be riding the Rapha Effect wave for wheels that on paper, are very little different to other UK wheelsets that are built with generic Toray fibre, Pillar or Sapim spokes and Novatec hubs. Absolutely nothing wrong with that combination of elements, but don't waste your money on a en vogue name.
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    I looked at the and compared them to Borg.
    Borg looked better due to using Miche hubs.
    Couldn`t see where the £800 odd quid was in the Hunts.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • hd264
    Interesting...so everyone thinks they're overpriced for what they are?

A couple of online reviews that I've found seem to say otherwise...

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cat ... iew-51773/

https://road.cc/content/review/232599-h ... -and-tyres
  • Maybe take a few mins to compare the Hunts at £899 to these, for £479 with the discount. I know these aren't the same wheels you're after, but it serves as a comparison nonetheless.

http://www.zuus.co.uk/zuus-pro-50-carbo ... de-zuus10/

Similar weights
    Same generic 3k Toray fibre with basalt brake track
    Similar wide rim dims
    Similar generic alu straight pull hubs
    Same x3 pawl freehub mech
    Same steel insert spline
    Same EZO bearings
    Same Pillar spokes
    Both tubeless ready

So...you'd rather spend an extra £400+ on what exactly?

Only major difference is who built them. Oh, Hunt apparently include a little note to say "someone", built these wheels.

FWIW, I bought a pair of Zuus wheels 3 years ago, and they've never seen a spoke key yet. Just does my head in a bit seeing ppl getting ripped off for a "name".

I'll bank the extra £400 thanks and at the very worst, if I'm not happy with not knowing who built the wheels, rather spend an extra £50 tops and have your local wheelbuilder with a face to check tensions and adjust if necessary.
  • hd264
    Cool thanks I'll take a look and see if they have an disc versions.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    Pippi, what blocks do you use (assuming rim) and how do you find the braking?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pippi, what blocks do you use (assuming rim) and how do you find the braking?

I just used the cork ones they came with, until they wore out. They were ok. Now just use the Shimano compound ones that I use on my Dura Ace C50 tubular race wheels.
  • I've noticed they've started selling them with no decal option again, which is great!
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    Can anyone find an ebay Chinese equivalent of the Hunts with center lock Campag hubs?
  • ds2288
    ds2288 Posts: 36
    I guess the card signed by the “builder” is just the guy who looks over the wheels before they are shipped out to the consumer. I believe they are also built in the Far East. Nothing wrong with that, but I doubt it was by a James, Greg or Matt......(totally random names chosen...)
  • arsey
    arsey Posts: 171
    I went with Stayer which is still UK built but more customisable and slightly cheaper. Check them out.
    Canyon Ultimate CF Disc
    Vitus Energie Disc
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Slightly dearer as far as I can see.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • I'm wondering why a few of these cheap deep peeps are speccing Powerway hubs now as opposed to Novatec? I'm assuming it's down to cutting costs even further. The Novatec hubs were quite decent, but I've no idea about these Powerway jobs...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited August 2018
    The zeus wheels are really cheap. I know how much mine cost me to build and even with buying in bigger quantities the saving are not big. I have just ordered 200 pairs of Borg disc hubs made by Miche in Italy to keep me going. I know bitex, novatec or powerway would be much cheaper. Also I know pillar spokes are at leat 30% cheaper than sapim. People here may think the hunt wheels are overpriced but if the afters ales service is good then the price can be worth it. So with zeus where the catch, there has to be one. I also doubt the specification is comparable to mine or the hunt wheels. The superficial spec maybe the same but dig deeper....
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jme4
    jme4 Posts: 20
    Hunt wheels seem okay to me, I’ve only ridden them not owned a set. IMO you can buy better from a builder like Strada for a similar price. Which I what I’ve done for my summer bike and will be doing for my winter bike.
  • rekagy
    rekagy Posts: 1
    I’m going to order Hunt wheels. They are shipped locally, no customs. Chinese manufactures often have insane shipping prices (over £100), some building fee, and of course good luck getting a replacement. I think for the reputation it’s worth the extra £300. Probably less if you consider shipping and customs. Also the 60 day no questions asked return policy seems pretty good.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    rekagy wrote:
    I’m going to order Hunt wheels. They are shipped locally, no customs. Chinese manufactures often have insane shipping prices (over £100), some building fee, and of course good luck getting a replacement. I think for the reputation it’s worth the extra £300. Probably less if you consider shipping and customs. Also the 60 day no questions asked return policy seems pretty good.
    You can get almost identical (or better) Chinese wheels fulfilled by Amazon, i.e. no customs, next day delivery, 2 year warranty for £250-£350 less than than Hunt are charging. But on you go and buy the Hunts if you want.
  • Matthewfalle
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13107305

self explanatory re hunt wheels.

don't get mugged fellas.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    bobones wrote:
    rekagy wrote:
    You can get almost identical (or better) Chinese wheels fulfilled by Amazon, i.e. no customs, next day delivery, 2 year warranty for £250-£350 less than than Hunt are charging. But on you go and buy the Hunts if you want.

this exactly.

really esy to find free postage chinese wheels who put zero value on customs forms, made from exactly the same bits as hunt in the same factory at half the price.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Went for some of the limited edition disco version primes for £300 less than the hunts. Not for everyone but come with black decals in the box if you aren’t brave.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159300896 ... ed-public/
  • Matthewfalle
    funky sweet ride. wheels work really well.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • funky sweet ride. wheels work really well.

Looks better now with a 120mm 17 degree stem.
  • Matthewfalle
    funky sweet ride. wheels work really well.

pics pleeeeeeaaaase.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • funky sweet ride. wheels work really well.

pics pleeeeeeaaaase.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159300896 ... ed-public/
  • Looks dangerous. I like!
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    Prime wheels are pretty good. They have transformed my TCR.
  • Matthewfalle
    Vegas76 wrote:
    Prime wheels are pretty good. They have transformed my TCR.

And £300 cheaper than wheels that aren’t pretty good.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jme4
    jme4 Posts: 20
    The equivalent Prime wheels are a fair bit heavier than the Hunts and a similar price.

Buying direct from Lightbicycle dies appear to be very cost effective, but is the quality control as good as the rims your getting from Hunt?

I’d happily save money and buy direct if the quality is just as good - any ideas?
  • Matthewfalle
    the quality is exactly the same - i have compared both non scientifically and can see no difference in anything apart from £300 in price and two stickers on each wheel.

the hunts are made in china, assembled in china, boxed in china all by the same dudes who do all the others. exactly the same q/c.

don't get mugged

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.