TDF 2018, Stage 13: Bourg d'Oisans > Valence 20/07/2018 - 169,5 km *Spoilers*

124»

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Nice dig by Gilbert there under the flamme rouge, put the wind up the sprint teams.

Even nicer reaction when it didn't work. Good to see he still has his self-belief.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Dinyull wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Sagan
    Kristoff
    Demare

Is that a list of the sprinters left or the top 3?
    both
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Dinyull wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Sagan
    Kristoff
    Demare

Both

Lampaert and Phinney also in the top 10
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Dinyull wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Sagan
    Kristoff
    Demare

both

Haha
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Dij2tawXUAA2-Dc.jpg:largeDijyPRQX4AYUq1w.jpg
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Nice dig by Gilbert there under the flamme rouge, put the wind up the sprint teams.

Even nicer reaction when it didn't work. Good to see he still has his self-belief.
    Didn't work for Gilbert, but I think it spoilt FDJ's chances, having to work from the front to catch him.

Demare said afterwards maybe he should have gone sooner, but I'd have said, after the effort needed to reach Gilbert, maybe he should have left it till a pinch later, so the others had less meters to overtake him before the line. Very gracious in defeat though.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Dinyull wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Sagan
    Kristoff
    Demare
    I'm still hoping Pasqualon strikes lucky.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Has Sagan been having his way with one of the podium girls in a bit of pre-race reconnaissance ?

c4a57
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Gah what a day to miss PTP, probably he easiest day so far.

On the plus side I now officially have an MBA
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Mr Blobby Award!
    Congratulations.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Well done. youll be able to ride your bike now :)
  • bobmcstuff
    DeadCalm wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Mr Blobby Award!
    Congratulations.
    giphy.webp
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    For a full review of today's stage, I'd defer to Sunweb's Chad Haga, who appears to be writing pithy summaries of each stage:
    Stage 13: A tired peloton was content to let the teammates of the few remaining fast guys tow them around until the predictable finish. #oversimpLeTour

https://twitter.com/ChadHaga
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Mr Blobby Award!
    Congratulations.
    giphy.webp

That is one of the very best 5 mins of TV I ve seen for years and years...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Did Degenkolb run out of gears in that sprint?

Sagan is ridiculous.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329

Sagan is ridiculous.
    He was on Sagan's wheel, so had quite a bit to make up on the front, and as you say - Sagan is ridiculous.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Congrats. Please produce a business plan for cycling. Vaughters is looking for one.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

Sagan is ridiculous.
    He was on Sagan's wheel, so had quite a bit to make up on the front, and as you say - Sagan is ridiculous.

Yeah he just seemed to be in a gear too short.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Sagan is ridiculous.

Maybe. I've never been so good on sprint analysis, I miss detail. Just looked like he didn't have the power when Sagan went to me.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Congrats. Please produce a business plan for cycling. Vaughters is looking for one.
    Yeah I LinkedIn stalked him ages ago, without being rude his MBA has been way overstated by the cycling media, and he doesn't have a college degree either.

I find the way cycling journos (and people on here sometimes) talk about him as if he is some sort of business academic to be a load of arse.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

Sagan is ridiculous.

One of the sprinters being interviewed over the past fortnight said that you lose too much changing gear to be worth it. If you are in the wrong gear, tough!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    PBlakeney wrote:

Sagan is ridiculous.

One of the sprinters being interviewed over the past fortnight said that you lose too much changing gear to be worth it. If you are in the wrong gear, tough!

The speeds are too high and the gaps are too small to hesitate and change gear. Degenkolb seems to be undergeared quite regularly, does make him look like he's on restricted gears compared to some of the big boys
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    I find it very interesting that Chris Froome did interviews for both Avondetappe (Dutch) and Vive le Velo (Belgian), evening shows, last night.
    I cannot recall him ever doing this before, despite many requests.
    Both similar in content, he talked about it not mattering who won, as long as the team did.....

Rick might be able to find last night's Avond, although Vive looks to be geo restricted.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    I find it very interesting that Chris Froome did interviews for both Avondetappe (Dutch) and Vive le Velo (Belgian), evening shows, last night.
    I cannot recall him ever doing this before, despite many requests.
    Previously he's been in the Yellow Jersey, with all the extra media that entails. He's probably just got the time to do it for once.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    https://www.facebook.com/PeterSagFan/vi ... 74253/?t=6

Sagan - should've passed on the left
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    After the days stage - reminiscent of a Caravaggio

DinkO6tUEAAD8l3.jpg:large
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    RonB wrote:
    After the days stage - reminiscent of a Caravaggio

DinkO6tUEAAD8l3.jpg:large

*Like* that's a great photo
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I find the way cycling journos (and people on here sometimes) talk about him as if he is some sort of business academic to be a load of ars*.

Bit like Dumolin & Sagan etc. He's reasonably sexy looking, dresses funny and has sideburns ergo, he is a personality
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    davidof said:

Vizille was also the home to Paul Kimmage and Thierry Claveyrolat, the "Eagle of Vizille". Claveyrolat won a KOM in the Tour de France and taking the Bourg d'Oisans Morzine stage the following year. After retiring Claveyrolat bought the "station cafe", renamed "l'Etape" but according to Paul Kimmage,, in turning the seedy town cafe full of drunks into a chic night spot he'd failed to spot what had made the bar work and drove away the clientelle without finding a new market. Claveyrolat was drowning in debt and drinking heavily. Returning to the bar on the 13 August 1999 in his powerful BMW he had a head on collision with a Renault. The four passengers in the Renault were seriously injured, a teenager blinded. Claveyrolat was driving too fast, and drunk. A month later Claveyrolat was dead. He'd blown his brains out with a hunting rifle. A suicide note gave instructions for the funeral: "no flowers, no friends".

Laurienne Claveyrolat, Thierry's daughter, is still defending her dad's name and bitterly contests Kimmage's article. She has threatened "to have the lawyers on Kimmage if he ever publishes anything in France about her dad"

Laurienne, who works in a hospital in Lyon, was just 9 years old when her dad committed suicide. She says the bar was profitable when he died and slams Kimmage for "biting the hand that fed him, lots of people in cycling helped Kimmage when he came to France", she claims "including my dad who found him accommodation in Vizille. Stop criticizing the dead who are not here to defend themselves. Just because Kimmage says something doesn't make it true".

Claveyrolat on his trademark Liberia bike.

Claveyrolat nearly found glory in the 1989 World Championships on his home turf in Chambery. In the lead and heading for victory team make Laurent Fignon attacked the bunch dragging Kelly, Rooks, Lemond and Konyshev back onto Claveyrolat wheel. He stood no chance in a sprint with these powerful riders but still beat Fignon, exhausted from his efforts.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme