Simple way of preventing spamming from first-time posters..

imposter2.0
imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
To the Bikeradar admin team. Thank me later..

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 85&start=0

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Problem is AFAIK the 'team' is one, poor, overworked guy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    cooldad wrote:
    Problem is AFAIK the 'team' is one, poor, overworked guy.

I think you're right, but creating a mod queue would save him time in the long run...
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Good idea Imposter.

Plus, there's nothing stopping them asking people to volunteer to moderate the forum.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Plus, there's nothing stopping them asking people to volunteer to moderate the forum.
    That’s no longer the case, which is why there are no more volunteer mod’s.
  • CitizenLee
    Veronese68 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

What's the reason behind it, if you don't mind me asking?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    What's the reason behind it, if you don't mind me asking?
    I think it was for legal reasons, not entirely sure of the details other than site owners wanting control in house. Saves me time clearing up spam and dealing with some other stuff, but unfortunately it does mean the forums can get a bit clogged up with it at times.
  • imposter2.0
    CitizenLee wrote:
    ******* hell, can you two get a room please?

Just as an aside....this thread seems to offer proof (if any were needed) that nobody from Bikeradar ever reads the ironically-titled 'discuss the website with the team' forum.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Just as an aside....this thread seems to offer proof (if any were needed) that nobody from Bikeradar ever reads the ironically-titled 'discuss the website with the team' forum.

I have been reading it, and just deleted the numerous unnecessary posts attacking other users.

The reason we don't implement the first suggestion on this post is that it would guarantee more moderation work. There is more first time posters than there is spam. Occasionally I accept that spam might be posted, say on a Friday evening, and I won't get to moderate it until the Monday morning but it is hardly clogging up the forum.

Unfortunately, and for reasons explained previously, I am the only moderator for the foreseeable future and it is one of three different roles I have over BikeRadar and Cyclingnews. If I had more time, I would add first time posters to a moderation queue and actively moderate rather than relying on user reports. For me (and you may disagree) the small amount of spam versus initial users being able to post straightaway is outweighed.

I continue to appreciate any spam being reported, as this is the quickest way it will get removed.

Cheers.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • CitizenLee
    Thanks for replying Josh ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • imposter2.0
    joshjevans wrote:
    I have been reading it, and just deleted the numerous unnecessary posts attacking other users.

Josh - thanks for the reply. I don't want to labour this point, but those posts had been there since last week, but only got removed today. Unless you only read the thread today.
    joshjevans wrote:
    The reason we don't implement the first suggestion on this post is that it would guarantee more moderation work. There is more first time posters than there is spam. Occasionally I accept that spam might be posted, say on a Friday evening, and I won't get to moderate it until the Monday morning but it is hardly clogging up the forum.

I suppose it depends on what level of spam you and/or Bikeradar decide is 'tolerable'. In my view, there is no such thing as a 'tolerable' level of spam. It's bad for the forum and by extension it's bad for Bikeradar too.
  • Hey Imposter,

I agree no level of spam should be tolerable, especially for our organisation, but in the current situation I believe it is the best option from a bad scenario.

I'm hopeful things might change in the future.

Cheers again.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • imposter2.0
    understood :)
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Have a look at the Road Beginners page. 12 spams in a row.. They are worth deleting.
  • cooldad
    So report them using the report button, and let Josh know.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    It's worse when you view all new posts, and most have already been reported.

User "bozzbien" has posted 50 spam posts since joining today, and "aarongrey0123" is back today too - he joined on 1st Aug and is still not banned for posting about fake passports etc. No point in just deleting their posts, ban their accounts and IPs too. At least makes it a bit more hassle for them to come back.

Josh is only one person and obviously has other things to do with his time. It's the site owners really need to step in and do something. Who's top level admin here?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Mega ammount of spam posts today in the road general section
  • cooldad
    Mega ammount of spam posts today in the road general section

Well done Captain Obvious....
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    joshjevans wrote:
    Occasionally I accept that spam might be posted, say on a Friday evening, and I won't get to moderate it until the Monday morning but it is hardly clogging up the forum.

On this occasion, unfortunately, that is exactly what it is doing. 443 seperate posts in Road General so far this morning - and counting.

"That's enough spam posts for one morning" - said no spam bot ever...
  • cooldad
    Mountain Bike section is clean.

Bloody roadies.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    hmmm clogging up ... yes it is lol... it is one blasted spambot account at the moment.
    Cant you remote in and destroy? Surely you'll get a bit overtime , even in IT?
  • A sensible limit of 20 threads per day should be enough for most users I'd imagine?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Mega ammount of spam posts today in the road general section

Well done Captain Obvious....

was there any need for that response.
  • cooldad
    Need? Probably not.

Desire? Probably.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    Need... absolutely! The current spammer is up to nearly 700 hundred posts. Worst thing is he actually joined back in July but wasn't banned first time.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • imposter2.0
    Joined in July, but didn't start posting (spamming) until last night...
  • Just update the software to something better, all this spam can be automatically dealt with.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Need? Probably not.

Desire? Probably.

I'll get my coat. With fuds like you around I'll find somewhere more friendly to read about bikes.
  • cooldad
    Excellent idea. This forum seems to be all about drugs.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Perfect for cycling
  • imposter2.0
    765 posts now - and counting...

Any predictions for total post-count before the BR office wakes up?