Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Privacy Settings

pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 11,076
edited July 2018 in The cake stop
Not sure if this applies to everyone, but it certainly does with this website and iPhones.
Next time you scroll through this website you might see a little “privacy settings” tab.
No need for me as I am fairly secure I thought, but I did out of curiosity. I am glad that I did.
Turns out I was sharing my data with literally hundreds of websites, only 2 of which I have had direct contact with. One of which was Motorola and I haven’t had a Motorola phone for 12 years!
If you have the function, use it!
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.
veronese68 wrote:
PB is the most sensible person on here.
«1

Posts

  • tomb57tomb57 Posts: 1,555
    Thanks for the tip PB just checked mine couldn’t believe the numbers worth
    Anyone else with the button checking thanks again chap.
    Whoops who did that!
  • ProssPross Posts: 22,153
    Yep, I've been doing it a lot lately. Most sites are dressing it up so that you feel you have hit accept to proceed which I'm not sure is in the spirit of GDPR. There's usually another option that is worded so you won't realise you can alter the settings. At least on here it is fairly clear but it annoys me that it keeps coming up (although it does at least seem to save your preferences so you should be able to just hit accept once you've set everything to 'no').

    Edit - I just checked mine using the button at the bottom of the page and they were all on accept again :?
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,166
    Same with android.

    I just rejected all of them - there seemed to be thousands and it seems to have worked.
  • ProssPross Posts: 22,153
    Just be careful on this site, I don't know if it's just me but I regularly get the large pop up regarding privacy settings and when I check that it shows that if I had just hit accept everything had been set back to being on. It seems to be a blatant attempt to get people to inadvertently accept to their data being sold on!
  • laurentianlaurentian Posts: 1,688
    Pross wrote:
    Just be careful on this site, I don't know if it's just me but I regularly get the large pop up regarding privacy settings and when I check that it shows that if I had just hit accept everything had been set back to being on. It seems to be a blatant attempt to get people to inadvertently accept to their data being sold on!

    Same here, rejected everything yesterday and today all are back on.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • surrey_commutersurrey_commuter Posts: 9,869
    laurentian wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Just be careful on this site, I don't know if it's just me but I regularly get the large pop up regarding privacy settings and when I check that it shows that if I had just hit accept everything had been set back to being on. It seems to be a blatant attempt to get people to inadvertently accept to their data being sold on!

    Same here, rejected everything yesterday and today all are back on.

    bizarrely only one came back for me
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 11,076
    Working fine for me.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dinyulldinyull Posts: 2,962
    Think it depends on if you clear your cookies/ history.
  • surrey_commutersurrey_commuter Posts: 9,869
    dinyull wrote:
    Think it depends on if you clear your cookies/ history.

    Good point - if you clear your cookies how would they know it is you?
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,904
    Mine seems to revert back every time I log on. Annoying. Can I report them to the EU before we go?
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • surrey_commutersurrey_commuter Posts: 9,869
    cooldad wrote:
    Mine seems to revert back every time I log on. Annoying. Can I report them to the EU before we go?

    Are you using different devices
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 16,928
    cooldad wrote:
    Mine seems to revert back every time I log on. Annoying. Can I report them to the EU before we go?

    Are you using different devices
    IANAtechie but presumably your preferences are saved via a cookie so would be different for each device.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    1980s BSA 10sp

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,904
    Yes, but I've done the settings on all, Chromebook, desktop and phone.

    DT at work, so I can't check, but Chromebook and phone keep reverting.

    I use Chrome as the browser on all though?
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • First.AspectFirst.Aspect Posts: 3,441
    Well that was an eye opener. What an insidious website this is. I think I'd be safer doing one of those 50 question quizzes that 98% of British men can't answer.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 11,076
    Makes you wonder about all the other websites that you visit without the option though...
    Use the internet and you have effectively left your front door open.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • robert88robert88 Posts: 2,706
    pblakeney wrote:
    Makes you wonder about all the other websites that you visit without the option though...
    Use the internet and you have effectively left your front door open.

    Yup, it's horses and stable doors.

    Just live with the fact that there is no privacy on the internet. Facebook being a prime example. You might not use FB yourself, but you'll interact with hundreds of people who do, some who have a compulsion to document every moment of their miserable lives!

    Pictures of you that you don't even know about will be there, identifiable through face recognition. Every CCTV camera has a record of you on it, of your car as it passes. The supermarket knows what you buy and stores the data away like a squirrel hiding nuts, except they can find it again. Sites you log on to will know which hand you hold your phone in, how fast you type, what sort of passwords you choose, who your mother's maiden aunt is probably. They'll know what you are thinking before you do! If it's any comfort it's aggregate data that commerce wants; only the state takes it really personally.
  • sungodsungod Posts: 12,209
    cooldad wrote:
    Mine seems to revert back every time I log on. Annoying. Can I report them to the EU before we go?
    why the eu? gdpr is part of uk law, you report issues to the ico https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

    defaulting user accounts to "censored out my data" is a no no, websites that do it deserve a slapping
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,904
    Looks like the settings on my CB and phone have stayed ok overnight, will see desktop on Monday.

    So Ok. I have no secrets anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • surrey_commutersurrey_commuter Posts: 9,869
    cooldad wrote:
    Looks like the settings on my CB and phone have stayed ok overnight, will see desktop on Monday.

    So Ok. I have no secrets anyway.

    Same here - I would rather see targeted ads
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 16,928
    robert88 wrote:
    pblakeney wrote:
    Makes you wonder about all the other websites that you visit without the option though...
    Use the internet and you have effectively left your front door open.

    Yup, it's horses and stable doors.

    Just live with the fact that there is no privacy on the internet. Facebook being a prime example. You might not use FB yourself, but you'll interact with hundreds of people who do, some who have a compulsion to document every moment of their miserable lives!

    Pictures of you that you don't even know about will be there, identifiable through face recognition. Every CCTV camera has a record of you on it, of your car as it passes. The supermarket knows what you buy and stores the data away like a squirrel hiding nuts, except they can find it again. Sites you log on to will know which hand you hold your phone in, how fast you type, what sort of passwords you choose, who your mother's maiden aunt is probably. They'll know what you are thinking before you do! If it's any comfort it's aggregate data that commerce wants; only the state takes it really personally.

    Anyone had fun looking at Google Maps Timeline?

    Fascinating and discomforting at the same time.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    1980s BSA 10sp

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 7,213
    rjsterry wrote:
    robert88 wrote:
    pblakeney wrote:
    Makes you wonder about all the other websites that you visit without the option though...
    Use the internet and you have effectively left your front door open.

    Yup, it's horses and stable doors.

    Just live with the fact that there is no privacy on the internet. Facebook being a prime example. You might not use FB yourself, but you'll interact with hundreds of people who do, some who have a compulsion to document every moment of their miserable lives!

    Pictures of you that you don't even know about will be there, identifiable through face recognition. Every CCTV camera has a record of you on it, of your car as it passes. The supermarket knows what you buy and stores the data away like a squirrel hiding nuts, except they can find it again. Sites you log on to will know which hand you hold your phone in, how fast you type, what sort of passwords you choose, who your mother's maiden aunt is probably. They'll know what you are thinking before you do! If it's any comfort it's aggregate data that commerce wants; only the state takes it really personally.

    Anyone had fun looking at Google Maps Timeline?

    Fascinating and discomforting at the same time.

    "You have no Location History..."
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 16,928
    Trouble is I've got too much of a maps and stats fetish to turn it off. Oddly enough I've not had any kind of bike computer for years and never used Strava. Google Maps' geolocation is a bit hit and miss, though and some data is way off.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    1980s BSA 10sp

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 11,076
    Not having a Google account helps....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,268
    These bloody privacy settings won't leave me alone now!

    Everytime the page refreshers/changes it asks me yet again. I 'saved and exited' about 8 times now, is there anything i can do to stop it?


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • KajjalKajjal Posts: 3,404
    The continual resetting to ON and asking you to accept it suggests it is a deliberate attempt to get you to approve this.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,868
    Capt Slog wrote:
    These bloody privacy settings won't leave me alone now!

    Everytime the page refreshers/changes it asks me yet again. I 'saved and exited' about 8 times now, is there anything i can do to stop it?

    Same here. Might stay away for a few days to let it sort itself out, this is taking the p1ss.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 7,338
    Thanks for the heads up
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 5,900
    Agreed. This is getting bleepin' annoying now.

    There are other fora you know Messrs Site Owners.
  • FishFishFishFish Posts: 2,238
    I have set CCleaner to erase cookies and whatever else it does on exiting the browser and I've not had any problems. I suppose it deletes all of the cookies - but no record of actual deletions to confirm this.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

    jeez :roll:
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 7,338
    Just a heads up, decline all as suggested and scroll right to the bottom and press save and exit. Took a bit of scrolling down buts it there and works.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
Sign In or Register to comment.