Privacy Settings

pblakeney
pblakeney Posts: 25,738
edited July 2018 in The cake stop
Not sure if this applies to everyone, but it certainly does with this website and iPhones.
Next time you scroll through this website you might see a little “privacy settings” tab.
No need for me as I am fairly secure I thought, but I did out of curiosity. I am glad that I did.
Turns out I was sharing my data with literally hundreds of websites, only 2 of which I have had direct contact with. One of which was Motorola and I haven’t had a Motorola phone for 12 years!
If you have the function, use it!
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.
Veronese68 wrote:
PB is the most sensible person on here.

Comments

• tomb57
    tomb57 Posts: 2,043
    Thanks for the tip PB just checked mine couldn’t believe the numbers worth
    Anyone else with the button checking thanks again chap.
    Whoops who did that!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    Yep, I've been doing it a lot lately. Most sites are dressing it up so that you feel you have hit accept to proceed which I'm not sure is in the spirit of GDPR. There's usually another option that is worded so you won't realise you can alter the settings. At least on here it is fairly clear but it annoys me that it keeps coming up (although it does at least seem to save your preferences so you should be able to just hit accept once you've set everything to 'no').

Edit - I just checked mine using the button at the bottom of the page and they were all on accept again :?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Same with android.

I just rejected all of them - there seemed to be thousands and it seems to have worked.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    Just be careful on this site, I don't know if it's just me but I regularly get the large pop up regarding privacy settings and when I check that it shows that if I had just hit accept everything had been set back to being on. It seems to be a blatant attempt to get people to inadvertently accept to their data being sold on!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,385
    Pross wrote:
    Just be careful on this site, I don't know if it's just me but I regularly get the large pop up regarding privacy settings and when I check that it shows that if I had just hit accept everything had been set back to being on. It seems to be a blatant attempt to get people to inadvertently accept to their data being sold on!

Same here, rejected everything yesterday and today all are back on.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    laurentian wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Same here, rejected everything yesterday and today all are back on.

bizarrely only one came back for me
  • pblakeney
    Working fine for me.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Think it depends on if you clear your cookies/ history.
  • surrey_commuter
    Dinyull wrote:
    Think it depends on if you clear your cookies/ history.

Good point - if you clear your cookies how would they know it is you?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mine seems to revert back every time I log on. Annoying. Can I report them to the EU before we go?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • surrey_commuter
    cooldad wrote:
    Mine seems to revert back every time I log on. Annoying. Can I report them to the EU before we go?

Are you using different devices
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,630
    cooldad wrote:

Are you using different devices
    IANAtechie but presumably your preferences are saved via a cookie so would be different for each device.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cooldad
    Yes, but I've done the settings on all, Chromebook, desktop and phone.

DT at work, so I can't check, but Chromebook and phone keep reverting.

I use Chrome as the browser on all though?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624
    Well that was an eye opener. What an insidious website this is. I think I'd be safer doing one of those 50 question quizzes that 98% of British men can't answer.
  • pblakeney
    Makes you wonder about all the other websites that you visit without the option though...
    Use the internet and you have effectively left your front door open.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Makes you wonder about all the other websites that you visit without the option though...

Yup, it's horses and stable doors.

Just live with the fact that there is no privacy on the internet. Facebook being a prime example. You might not use FB yourself, but you'll interact with hundreds of people who do, some who have a compulsion to document every moment of their miserable lives!

Pictures of you that you don't even know about will be there, identifiable through face recognition. Every CCTV camera has a record of you on it, of your car as it passes. The supermarket knows what you buy and stores the data away like a squirrel hiding nuts, except they can find it again. Sites you log on to will know which hand you hold your phone in, how fast you type, what sort of passwords you choose, who your mother's maiden aunt is probably. They'll know what you are thinking before you do! If it's any comfort it's aggregate data that commerce wants; only the state takes it really personally.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,524
    cooldad wrote:
    why the eu? gdpr is part of uk law, you report issues to the ico https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

defaulting user accounts to "whore out my data" is a no no, websites that do it deserve a slapping
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cooldad
    Looks like the settings on my CB and phone have stayed ok overnight, will see desktop on Monday.

So Ok. I have no secrets anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • surrey_commuter
    cooldad wrote:
    Looks like the settings on my CB and phone have stayed ok overnight, will see desktop on Monday.

So Ok. I have no secrets anyway.

Same here - I would rather see targeted ads
  • rjsterry
    Robert88 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Just live with the fact that there is no privacy on the internet. Facebook being a prime example. You might not use FB yourself, but you'll interact with hundreds of people who do, some who have a compulsion to document every moment of their miserable lives!

Pictures of you that you don't even know about will be there, identifiable through face recognition. Every CCTV camera has a record of you on it, of your car as it passes. The supermarket knows what you buy and stores the data away like a squirrel hiding nuts, except they can find it again. Sites you log on to will know which hand you hold your phone in, how fast you type, what sort of passwords you choose, who your mother's maiden aunt is probably. They'll know what you are thinking before you do! If it's any comfort it's aggregate data that commerce wants; only the state takes it really personally.

Anyone had fun looking at Google Maps Timeline?

Fascinating and discomforting at the same time.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    rjsterry wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Anyone had fun looking at Google Maps Timeline?

Fascinating and discomforting at the same time.

"You have no Location History..."
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry
    Trouble is I've got too much of a maps and stats fetish to turn it off. Oddly enough I've not had any kind of bike computer for years and never used Strava. Google Maps' geolocation is a bit hit and miss, though and some data is way off.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    Not having a Google account helps....
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    These bloody privacy settings won't leave me alone now!

Everytime the page refreshers/changes it asks me yet again. I 'saved and exited' about 8 times now, is there anything i can do to stop it?

The older I get, the better I was.

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The continual resetting to ON and asking you to accept it suggests it is a deliberate attempt to get you to approve this.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Capt Slog wrote:
    These bloody privacy settings won't leave me alone now!

Everytime the page refreshers/changes it asks me yet again. I 'saved and exited' about 8 times now, is there anything i can do to stop it?

Same here. Might stay away for a few days to let it sort itself out, this is taking the p1ss.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Agreed. This is getting bleepin' annoying now.

There are other fora you know Messrs Site Owners.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I have set CCleaner to erase cookies and whatever else it does on exiting the browser and I've not had any problems. I suppose it deletes all of the cookies - but no record of actual deletions to confirm this.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Yeah, done that multiple times. Today getting repeated pop ups with the ones lower down the page reset to on, again. So single pass save and exit not working on this device anyway.

That said, been on for oh all of 2 mins and so far no pop up... Progress?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    Usually I'm only ever on Cakestop and BB. The problems started when I went to a different page. I too have done all the scrolling down and saving, but to no avail.

Hope it sorts out soon, because as others have said, it keeps reverting to a default on, which has to be wrong.

The older I get, the better I was.