Chris Froome salbutamol/Tour merged threads

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Slowbike wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Froome on Hinault
    “He’s one of the great champions. I imagine with age sometimes your wires get a little bit crossed"

B'zing!

Did he really say that? It sounds pretty impolitic from one of the most diplomatic men in sport.

Agreed. Not a classy move, regardless of what Hinault said.

Yet if he'd said nothing on the subject then he'd be accused of being spineless and having something to hide.

Here's hoping that Froome goes on to win this years TdF and next years too ...

Umm. No. He can comment without being snarky. He usually does.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Timoid. wrote:

I don't think it's that bad - Although "I look forward to his apology" would achieve the right balance of passive/aggressive.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

I don't think it's that bad - Although "I look forward to his apology" would achieve the right balance of passive/aggressive.

I think it just shows he has been pretty upset about Hinault and that he is human not a robot.
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    This sport is a f****** fiasco.
    nobody makes you watch
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Froome on Hinault
    “He’s one of the great champions. I imagine with age sometimes your wires get a little bit crossed"

B'zing!

Ha finally the man's diplomatic mask cracks. Awesome.

ThriftyOrdinaryCoot-max-1mb.gif
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    Timoid. wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Froome on Hinault

B'zing!

Did he really say that? It sounds pretty impolitic from one of the most diplomatic men in sport.

Yet if he'd said nothing on the subject then he'd be accused of being spineless and having something to hide.

Froome should use Hinault's preferred method of communication.

hinaultparisnice.jpg
  • My respect for Froome has gone up a notch after that verbal smackdown on Hinault. Hope he wins this year just to wind him up further.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,116
    Timoid. wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Froome on Hinault

B'zing!

hinaultparisnice.jpg
    I personally thought it was a funny response. Don't like Froome, never will, but made me dislike him a smidgen less.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • above_the_cows
    ^This.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Has the internet melted yet?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,703
    I like the Froome smack down on Hinault. After the shit he laid at his door, the end result of which we may not have seen yet, the old git got off lightly.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,583
    Can anyone point me to where Hinault demanded that Virenque, Brochard, Jalabert et al be barred?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,232

ThriftyOrdinaryCoot-max-1mb.gif

Is that Froome's leaky inhaler in the handbag?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Timoid. wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Froome on Hinault

B'zing!

hinaultparisnice.jpg
    The badger appears to be punching a person of restricted growth, also he’s punching like a girl.
  • above_the_cows
    Being of the girl variety I've no idea what punching like a girl is supposed to look like, it all just looks like punching to me.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,505
    Being of the girl variety I've no idea what punching like a girl is supposed to look like, it all just looks like punching to me.

That's because to you punching like a girl is just punching.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Elbow is far too high. Not trying to be sexist but look at the different natural arm action between males and females when throwing a ball.
  • above_the_cows
    Webboo wrote:
    Elbow is far too high. Not trying to be sexist but look at the different natural arm action between males and females when throwing a ball.

Again I've no idea, I was the only woman in my school cricket team because I was the best fast bowler.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Webboo wrote:
    You mean like this.

o-NICOLA-ADAMS-570.jpg
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,276
    Webboo wrote:
    You mean like this.

o-NICOLA-ADAMS-570.jpg
    There is a legitimate natural difference in throwing ability, no idea if that extends to punching!

That doesn't preclude women from being good at throwing though, and Nicola Adams is incredibly hard so obviously women can be good at punching too...
  • above_the_cows
    Anyway back to the topic of this thread, and I really should stop with this but I'm having to sit with a sick cat and I'm thinking out loud...

Could it be that this whole saga from initial AAF to closure is in fact evidence of an anti-doping regime working as it should. That is working as it should leaks aside. Now bear with me...

Froome's AAF was detected, good, that's what we want right, for stuff that is adverse to be detected? It was detected because he was being tested. Good. The result triggered an investigation, good. The system is working as it should.

The system requires an athlete to explain the adverse analytical finding. Froome is able to do so based on data extrapolated from many other doping controls taken in the preceding days, this shows that he is being tested all the time. This is good no? He is being tested, a lot, the information from these tests is then used to determine if anything fishy is going on.

How is this any of this a bad thing?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,505
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    You mean like this.

o-NICOLA-ADAMS-570.jpg
    There is a legitimate natural difference in throwing ability, no idea if that extends to punching!

That doesn't preclude women from being good at throwing though, and Nicola Adams is incredibly hard so obviously women can be good at punching too...

She punches like a man... and Yorkshire woman are hard as nails.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Blar blar blar drugz...

Looking forward to the Froome Landa GC battles, just hope they dont kick Sagan off early this year.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    How is this any of this a bad thing?

well quite,the system works...eventually...the bad thing is of course the leaking element Id say, else we'd be none the wiser any of this had happened, and I doubt it would ever have been made public consequently, but it bugs me this whole thing will still receive far more column inches than when one of the top professional tennis tour players in the world complains theyve been tested 5 times this year,just 5 times ffs, Froome got tested in one competition event 21 times, has Im sure been tested more than frequently the past 9 months than ever before, and will be tested every day of the TdF even if he isnt stage winner or GC leader.

and yet not one of those articles reporting the tennis view which seems to always be how outrageously intrusive this process is, stands up for the principle they hold the pro cyclist to which is how dare they use an asthma inhaler, and that very much stinks imo
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,831
    Webboo wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Froome on Hinault

B'zing!

hinaultparisnice.jpg
    The badger appears to be punching a person of restricted growth, also he’s punching like a girl.

People talk about Hinault being a hardman and this photo comes up. To me, he was a bit of a bully and I wonder if he'd have got stuck into those protesters without having cameras and, presumably, police around to protect him?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,201
    So now the inventor of the salbutamol threshold test says it’s a load of crap. Declares Petacchi inoocent.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-ma ... 78402b2388
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    RichN95 wrote:
    So now the inventor of the salbutamol threshold test says it’s a load of crap. Declares Petacchi inoocent.

If that is all true then this is even more of a shambles. Why hasn't he spoken up before? If this is known why do they still use his findings? What about all the other athletes who have fallen foul of this incorrect limit?

I feel very sorry for anyone who has been tarnished as a result of using this incorrect information. And the real sad thing is that none of the tin foil hat brigade will even read that and still point the finger, chuck piss and spit over the next few weeks.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,825
    Pross wrote:

People talk about Hinault being a hardman and this photo comes up. To me, he was a bit of a bully and I wonder if he'd have got stuck into those protesters without having cameras and, presumably, police around to protect him?

I suspect he was both a hardman and a bully, didn't Robert Millar say he admired him as a rider but not as a person.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    RichN95 wrote:

one of the few examples when corporate power did a good thing

Pettachi, even with this guy on his side, got banned.

If this was any other guy than Froome probably WADA would have banned him, ignoring all signals from mortals like this guy who researched the thresold limits in 1990's (i don't think Sky would put his corporate power behind any other Sky rider)

Now the small feudal local power group called WADA will have to change their rules. And probably UCI will have to withdraw a lot of their bans retroactively.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,201
    Jeroen Swart yesterday:

So my take on the Froome issue. This has been brewing for some time. 1) There is limited evidence for Salbutamol being on the list in the first place. Other more pressing substances aren’t on it. 2) The thresholds were based on very limited research. This is WADA’s mess.
    It just took someone who had the finances and means to challenge the regulations on Salbutamol and they’ve been found wanting.
    My opinion: Take Salbutamol off the list. You get more bang for your buck out of a cup of coffee. Then put Tramadol on it. And prohibit Corticosteroids at all times. Hopefully some changes soon.
    Twitter: @RichN95