Up-skirting ban blocked by Tory, pinno in clear!

12346»

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Well it seems that our selfless hero slept in the HoP for 3 nights to be first in the queue to put in a Bill to repeal the working time directive as soon after Brexit day as possible.

I mean Christ, what a waste of time.

Pretty much any job that requires you to work more than those hours has an opt out in the contact anyway. And those that don't probably have good reason not to.

I think you are overlooking the importance of taking back control

I like the idea that upskirting is now known as Choping
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I prefer Sharking vids.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    I like the idea that upskirting is now known as Choping

Me too! :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 70026.html

The Conservative MP Sir Christopher Chope – the politician widely condemned for objecting to a bill to outlaw upskirting – has blocked legislation designed to protect children from female genital mutilation (FGM).
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/christopher-chope-blocks-fgm-prevention-bill-tory-mp-conservative-a8770026.html

The Conservative MP Sir Christopher Chope – the politician widely condemned for objecting to a bill to outlaw upskirting – has blocked legislation designed to protect children from female genital mutilation (FGM).

Someone needs to mutilate his genitals with a rusty butter knife. I haven't read the article, does he justify himself again that he is stopping knee jerk legislation?
  • What new laws? They've had laws in place your years to prosecute but the will wasn't there until recently. The first mother to be found guilty of putting her daughter through FGM recently got sentenced.

So what new laws are there that was stopped by this tool? What do they add to the current laws that has worked in the one case where the CPS and police could be bothered investigating and prosecuting such a case?

It's easy to say FGM is bad and a genuine problem but that's not in dispute. However that is different from saying a new law to cover FGM is needed. What is needed is discussion on the laws and whether they're being correctly applied. If not then why not? After proper investigation and discussion then perhaps for once good laws might get made.

If all that has happened and these laws are actually needed then perhaps it's important enough to get government time? IIRC this Chope bloke is doing this because of his belief that this system of slipping in government legislation debate into time officially allocated to legislation debate of laws brought forward by MPs. AIUI an MP who had legislation he or she think is important and who gets an early ticket in this system is supposed to present their legislation as initially put forward. Instead some government minister or whip comes forward and it is now in the interests of that MP to present the government's legislation. In some ways I think there's merit in ending this. What often happens if the MP doesn't take on government legislation? The government takes the legislation on their time I reckon in most cases.

I'm not defending this tool just that IMHO important legislation that is determined as being needed to prevent harm to people should be brought forward with priority by the government. It's the most important part of their job, to make laws to protect us, in our interests.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    What new laws? They've had laws in place your years to prosecute but the will wasn't there until recently. The first mother to be found guilty of putting her daughter through FGM recently got sentenced.

So what new laws are there that was stopped by this tool? What do they add to the current laws that has worked in the one case where the CPS and police could be bothered investigating and prosecuting such a case?

It's easy to say FGM is bad and a genuine problem but that's not in dispute. However that is different from saying a new law to cover FGM is needed. What is needed is discussion on the laws and whether they're being correctly applied. If not then why not? After proper investigation and discussion then perhaps for once good laws might get made.

If all that has happened and these laws are actually needed then perhaps it's important enough to get government time? IIRC this Chope bloke is doing this because of his belief that this system of slipping in government legislation debate into time officially allocated to legislation debate of laws brought forward by MPs. AIUI an MP who had legislation he or she think is important and who gets an early ticket in this system is supposed to present their legislation as initially put forward. Instead some government minister or whip comes forward and it is now in the interests of that MP to present the government's legislation. In some ways I think there's merit in ending this. What often happens if the MP doesn't take on government legislation? The government takes the legislation on their time I reckon in most cases.

I'm not defending this tool just that IMHO important legislation that is determined as being needed to prevent harm to people should be brought forward with priority by the government. It's the most important part of their job, to make laws to protect us, in our interests.

There was an explanation of the bill in the first paragraph of the article TWH posted.
    ...a bill tabled by crossbench peer Lord Berkeley to allow courts to issue protection orders if a child is at risk of FGM.

In other words a preventative measure to stop it happening in the first place rather than using existing law to prosecute after the fact, which is obviously too late for the victims.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    IIRC this Chope bloke is doing this because of his belief that this system of slipping in government legislation debate into time officially allocated to legislation debate of laws brought forward by MPs.

It would be interesting to see which laws he applies this belief in blocking though. Maybe he does it with all sorts of legislation and we never hear about it other than on more controversial matters such as in this thread or maybe that's just his excuse for blocking legislation that he doesn't like.
  • Pross wrote:
    IIRC this Chope bloke is doing this because of his belief that this system of slipping in government legislation debate into time officially allocated to legislation debate of laws brought forward by MPs.

It would be interesting to see which laws he applies this belief in blocking though. Maybe he does it with all sorts of legislation and we never hear about it other than on more controversial matters such as in this thread or maybe that's just his excuse for blocking legislation that he doesn't like.
    That's a good question because it's only with cases where there's a law in question that's widely held as having a lot of merit. I think we can all agree that this law should be passed so whatever delays it coming into effect is bad. But what other laws does he block this way that don't have as much merit? From what I've read his actions are applied to a lot of bills from this mechanism but you only read any cases where his actions are preventing or delaying the more worthy bills.
  • Pross wrote:

That's a good question because it's only with cases where there's a law in question that's widely held as having a lot of merit. I think we can all agree that this law should be passed so whatever delays it coming into effect is bad. But what other laws does he block this way that don't have as much merit? From what I've read his actions are applied to a lot of bills from this mechanism but you only read any cases where his actions are preventing or delaying the more worthy bills.

For a man so against the system it seeems strange that he puts more bills down than anybody else. Apparently there is a small group of them who queue for hours to ensure their bills get debated. He does not object to any of their bills (or his own).

Are really 100% sure that he is against FGM?