Adductor exercises?

orraloon
orraloon Posts: 12,694
Tweaked inner thigh adductor on Saturday's ride, longest of year so far, classic symptoms of get a warning twinge while on an uphill grind about an hour from the end, then on a gentle rise about 6km from the end, bang, sharp cramp type pain. Felt tightness and a dull ache through yesterday.

Reckon I need to do some more off-bike strengthening exercises. Remember one where lie on side on floor, top leg over with foot flat on floor, raise lower leg. Any others recommended?

Google search tends to throw up the likes of squats, but that's more for quads?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I'd be more inclined to rest it, to be honest. Surely any exercises you do now are just going to aggravate the injury?
  • orraloon
    True. Thinking more ahead for when this injury sorted out, to strengthen to avoid repetition.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If that was the longest ride this year, then there is a potential explanation as to why you had the problem. I would just 'strengthen' it by doing more of those rides...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Swimming breast stroke is quite good for adductors.
  • orraloon
    Ah good call. Off next week for a week's hols in the Algarve sun, villa with pool, lots of opp for light swimming.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Use the holiday to rest it. If you do too much too soon then you're running the risk of developing tendonitis.

Then you want to look at using a Theraband on a table leg and working the adductor against the band - to strengthen. Do both legs to maintain balance. If strengthening aggravates (it will hurt at the time, but not the next morning) then have a few days off before going back to it.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/