Tour de Suisse 2018 Spoilers

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    A note on Danish rider naming, if you want to be local about it:
    Danish surnames are boring as hell (Larsen, Pedersen, Sørensen) and tend to be very common.
    Danish middle names tend to be family surnames passed down for generations - the more interesting ones.
    So Danes often refer to each other as Firstname Middlename and skip the boring surname that everyone has.
    So Søren Kragh, not Søren Andersen

Lecture over, that was a bloody long sprint, payed off for the humming bird. (I'm making the nickname up, it sounds like various lanaguages e.g. Italian Colibri)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yep Gaviria definitely 2nd
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Colbrelli, then I think Gaviria 2nd then Sagan (not 100% on 2nd and 3rd)

Looked like that. Bad connection to Eurosport player means I only saw the last 2 metres.
  • Fun sprint that. Straight 2 way battle between Colbrelli and Gaviria with Sagan behind swinging across between their wheels in the wet like a maniac, then ending up in a sandwich between the two on the line.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    nice finish I dont think Sagan was impressed lolol
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    A note on Danish rider naming, if you want to be local about it:
    Danish surnames are boring as hell (Larsen, Pedersen, Sørensen) and tend to be very common.
    Danish middle names tend to be family surnames passed down for generations - the more interesting ones.
    So Danes often refer to each other as Firstname Middlename and skip the boring surname that everyone has.
    So Søren Kragh, not Søren Andersen

Lecture over, that was a bloody long sprint, payed off for the humming bird. (I'm making the nickname up, it sounds like various lanaguages e.g. Italian Colibri)
    I like the hummingbird nickname!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    This must be the dullest race ever. No wonder so many GC hopefuls for the TdF entered, they obviously didn't want to over-tax themelves before the big event.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    hypster wrote:
    This must be the dullest race ever. No wonder so many GC hopefuls for the TdF entered, they obviously didn't want to over-tax themelves before the big event.

I don't know someone from UAE just came a cropper on some wet train tracks and ripped their shorts clean off on one leg as well as probably break their collarbone.

But yeah, it's not been that exciting as of yet.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    hypster wrote:
    I don't know someone from UAE just came a cropper on some wet train tracks and ripped their shorts clean off on one leg as well as probably break their collarbone.
    But yeah, it's not been that exciting as of yet.
    To me it didn't look like the crossing itself was at fault, rather because one or the other rider slowed a lot going over the crossing, causing 5 others behind to brake on the very wet road. The other four who came down were able to continue.

Ahead, Juul Jensen (MTS), Silvan Dillier (ALM), Nans Peters (ALM), Nathan Brown (EFD), Mark Christian (ABS) und Paul Ouselin ((TDE) are about 2:30 ahead with about 25 km to go. Dillier is the best-placed, 46th at 1:23 back.
  • kingstongraham
    Today's finish with a couple of tunnels and turns

Suia-18-4c-1.jpg

Looks like a horrid day.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Its horrendous weather
  • kingstongraham
    If they're racing this descent, it could be an interesting 10 minutes
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Today's finish with a couple of tunnels and turns

Suia-18-4c-1.jpg
    Was curious if that was the local airport where they finish - it is.
  • kingstongraham
    If they're racing this descent, it could be an interesting 10 minutes

My mistake.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Chris Yule Jenson (spelling?). Looking epic in what looks like a local airport BC race . Obvioulsy not a 3/4 since they havent ridden into each other :)
  • Vino'sGhost
    Hahaha he looks well happy :). Nicely done
  • kingstongraham
    Strong from Chris Juul Jensen. Matthews second. QS rider third.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Note to the Irish on the forum: We don't care where he grew up, Chris Juul is Danish!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    The Mitchelton video for this stage should be good for this. Joker was always one of the stars of Back Stage Pass.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    The Mitchelton video for this stage should be good for this. Joker was always one of the stars of Back Stage Pass.

Yep.

Here he is overdubbing a Lars Michaelsen interview in 2015 :-D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTgByh_BaWw
  • kingstongraham
    Mikel Landa testing his legs. The race is on after 4 days.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Ulissi doing well to stick in there, led out the sprint and nobody there able to come round him. Good dig from Landa but the headwind did for him in the end - Mas 2nd, most of the GC on ST.
  • Dutch done good today .....Slagter Kelderman Mollema Oomen Crutchvig
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Warbasse on the attack yesterday. Interestingly the team is still using a single ring despite rumours they were going to have a double set up for this race, or maybe even the 12 speed cassette. I guess the fact that they've manged so far on a 1x set up and they're not doing any of the grand tours means they might just carry on this season as they are.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    inseine wrote:
    Warbasse on the attack yesterday. Interestingly the team is still using a single ring despite rumours they were going to have a double set up for this race, or maybe even the 12 speed cassette. I guess the fact that they've manged so far on a 1x set up and they're not doing any of the grand tours means they might just carry on this season as they are.

Doubt SRAM would be too happy if they started using 1x then switched to a double once the bike climbs happen. Even if there's a legit reason for it, it looks really bad from a PR perspective if they said "actually this is sh1t for riding up big hills"
  • kingstongraham
    Wasn't exactly steep climbs yesterday though was it?

Today doesn't look like a great profile either.
  • kingstongraham
    This climb halfway through the stage is a bit of a looker
  • inseine wrote:
    Christian has had a chain issue and lost time in the break?
  • del
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,078
    This climb halfway through the stage is a bit of a looker

It’s a real beauty! It was a bit cold on the top to stand around for an hour, and descending the side they came up is terrifying, even at 30km/h in the traffic.

Will add some pics when I’m home.