Cycle To Work scheme + noob = mind blown

2»

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Joebristol wrote:
    Up to you really. Pros and cons to each:

HT - Pros:

Lighter and should have a better spec for the same money as a fs.

Will mean you really have to hone your skills quickly so will develop quicker

Cons:

Can be harder work over rough stuff - if you are prone to back issues (like me), I find I can’t ride my hardtail for as long as my fs.

Fs pros:

Lets you get away with more mistakes without being punished so much

Means you can go faster quicker

Cons:

Usually heavier and some lower grade parts for the same cost as hit

Allows you to be a little bit lazy on technique

For me I’ve always ridden full suss from about 16 (now in my late 30’s) and love them. I recently bought a hardtail for a bit of variety and to see if it makes a difference to my technique. It has benefitted my fs riding by improving my cornering technique and on draggy fireroads it’s quicker. However my lower back gets tight a lot quicker than on the fs and on balance I usually have more fun on the fs.

Although it depends on where you’re riding - on big fast trails with lots of features the fs is where it’s at (eg Bike Park Wales / Flyup 417 / some of the Welsh trail centres). At flatter / less exciting places like Ashton Court / Leigh Woods in Bristol the hardtail. An give more of a challenge and therefore be fun too.

If I only had one mtb it’d be an FS for sure.

I really agree with this. I'm actually the other way around and rode HTs for 20+ years and got a FS last year. HT are great for learning your trade and then maybe moving on to FS when you know what sort of riding you like. You can go straight to FS if you want.
    1se7en wrote:
    so decided im going on the weekend to view a few bikes if they have in stock.

My current feeling changes every hour but id like to go see the Calibre bikes as theres a Go Outdoors like 10 mins away. Evans is a good hour drive so difficult to get there easy but I do like the look of the Norco's. The Jamis looks cool, but I just dont like the name on the side, I know that probably sounds stupid but anyway.

I do like the Vitus bikes but oviously I cant test them as they are online only, so would have to rely on the fact they win awards and it would be a HT and not FS. Maybe the HT will do me just fine and then get some experience for a year and save up for a decent 2k - 2.5k FS bike instead of going cheaper.

I'd suggest get a cheaper HT, get out and ride and save up for a nice FS bike that you'll really enjoy when you get it.

There is no right/wrong answer really.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • 1se7en
    1se7en Posts: 19
    So an update on what happened,

I went to Evans and sat on a few bikes and was close to buying the Jamis. Couldnt really test ride it much. Then went to Halfords to look at the Bizango and it just felt right underneath me.

It was on sale for £520. I had a previous £100 voucher with them that I got last year for my birthday and forgot about it but was reminded by my other half it needs to be used. Also using an app called zeek you can purchase more gift vouchers for discounted price, so £400 voucher cost £360. So overall it cost me £380. For that kind of price, I couldn't turn it down and went with the Bizango. Its a really decent starter bike, going to be hitting the trail at Swinley this week or weekend. Just got my helmet and gear delivered yesterday. So landed up cancelling the cycle to work scheme as I now own the bike outright at a decent saving.

Cheers for all the suggestions above and all the help. This forum has been great.

One thing now: The seat is like a damn rock. Its so damn hard. Is it worth replacing or do I just need to get used to it? Ive ridden it a few times around the local park but man my ass hurts :lol::lol:
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Good choice on the bike, sounds like you got an awesome deal! You'll have to start a thread for it in the Your Mountain Bikes section ;)

As for saddles, try a Charge Spoon. You can get them for around £15-£20 and they're one of the best saddles known to man... well, that's maybe a stretch but they are incredibly well reviewed and most people who own them swear by them. I usually fit one to all my bikes, although my Mega has a Specialized Henge Comp at the moment but it will be getting a Spoon soon as the Henge is far too firm for my delicate derrière (glad I didn't pay RRP for it!). There's also the Madison Flux, which is the same saddle as the Spoon albeit with the Madison logo rather than Charge.

Also +1 on the Humvee Shorts that Oxo mentioned ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Agree with the above, humvees are great shorts and come with a padded inner short that you can remove.

To be honest I rarely use the inner unless I'm going on a long ride, 30 miles or more where they do increase comfort.

Saddle wise I have a madison flux, it's the same saddle as a charge spoon apart from the trim /colour and it's great.

If your not used to riding you will get a bit of bum discomfort regardless until you get used to it, so I wouldn't be in a great hurry to change saddles. But a charge spoon or madison flux would be contenders to replace, as every one seems to like them and they are reasonably cheap.

Don't make the mistake of buying a big wide cussion saddle or a gel packed saddle cover, it sounds counter intuitive, but they actually cause more comfort issues, you only really need a small contact point for the lower inner bones of your pelvis.

I'd give it a good few hundred miles before making the decision on a new saddle, as it sounds like you might just need to get used to it.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Just to add, if you managed to get a bizango for £380, that's an absolutely good deal, no way you'd get anything better, by a long shot, even at full price it's very well specced for the money, it keeps winning best hard tail of the year for good reasons, it's a lot of bike for the money.

One thing to add, it has an air fork, so I'd suggest you take it in for its 6 week free service, and get them to set the air pressure in the fork whilst they are at it, if that's not already been done.
    The right pressure depends on your weight, so you need to gently sit on the bike, and the forks should sink about 20 to 25% of the suspension travel,.