Hello guys! Need help about timing my food intake(refueling) and pacing.

Hi! Hope you guys are havin’ a good day.

Earlier i did a 40mile bike training. I was riding strong 20-25mph and i looked @ strava i’ve ridden 19miles already. And its time to go back for another 21 miles, and then a strong crosswind hits me non stop on the open road with some elevation and wrecked the **** out of me. Oxygen depleted and seems that i can’t lift my bodyweight anymore all of a sudden. Numb legs and sore butt. (in the small gear,70 rpm by this time just enough to finish.)

Any tips? I am 30yrs old, 5’10 / 188lbs riding giant tcr 2018.

I want to be like the strong cat1-4’s where their ave speed is 19-25mph in 3-6 hr ride.

How can i achieve this?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not really clear on what you are asking - and any detailed answer is going to be impossible without knowing more about how long you have been riding and how many hours/how often you train/ride. But assuming you are a new rider, just get plenty of hours in on the bike first (ie several weeks/several months) before worrying about average speeds and race categories.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Don't overthink it. Just mtfu
  • Ok heres the answer- first if all you need a good quality breakfast IE: porridge with sliced bananas topped with honey, thats if you like that sort of thing ? I know I do, if not poached eggs on brown bread & anice strong coffee ☕️. This will fuel you for a couple of hours so whilst on the bike just take a few flapjacks, jellie babies & maybe an SIS gel or two, personally i wint need all this but everyone is different so its really about finding your food comfort zone & Trailing enery foods to suit you. Secondly NEVER fight the elements, you NEVER win !!! work with the wind stay in the saddle & pedal comfortably. Dont be to headstrong on MPH as you need to food & fitness sorted first then the speed will come naturally resulting in faster speed- good luck.
  • Thanks guys.

I guess just do it, and don’t even think of the mph’s right now.

Appreciate it.
  • Ok heres the answer- first if all you need a good quality breakfast IE: porridge with sliced bananas topped with honey, thats if you like that sort of thing ? I know I do, if not poached eggs on brown bread & anice strong coffee ☕️. This will fuel you for a couple of hours so whilst on the bike just take a few flapjacks, jellie babies & maybe an SIS gel or two, personally i wint need all this but everyone is different so its really about finding your food comfort zone & Trailing enery foods to suit you. Secondly NEVER fight the elements, you NEVER win !!! work with the wind stay in the saddle & pedal comfortably. Dont be to headstrong on MPH as you need to food & fitness sorted first then the speed will come naturally resulting in faster speed- good luck.

Thank you!
  • Imposter wrote:
    Not really clear on what you are asking - and any detailed answer is going to be impossible without knowing more about how long you have been riding and how many hours/how often you train/ride. But assuming you are a new rider, just get plenty of hours in on the bike first (ie several weeks/several months) before worrying about average speeds and race categories.

Thanks man.

Yeah, pretty new.

5 mths new. (Always loved bikes when i was a kid as a recreational rider) and now trying to be as strong as the some chain gang riders out there.

I just want to be as consistent as possible.
    My first 20miles (20-25mph) everytime I go out training. If only i can maintain that all through out without my legs and butt aching.
  • Don't overthink it. Just mtfu

Will do!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Don't turn round. Just keep going with the tailwind. Then get a train home. Breakfast won't trump a tailwind.