Smart trainer. Help needed

2»

Comments

• Looks like the Hammer might not hit the nail on the head. No Campagnolo freehub option.

I think the Hammer might be hitting the wrong head! If you are running 11 speed Campagnolo on your bike it will work perfectly on any 11 speed cassette I.e. Shimano or SRAM as the sprocket spacing on all 11 speeds are the same. If you’re running 10 speed or less then Miche do cassettes which are Shimano fitting but Campag spacing. Not really sure why i’m helping you when you told me earlier that you’re not interested but hey ho, why not try eh’
  • sh3p wrote:
    From the road cc review http://road.cc/content/review/223785-cy ... rt-trainer

You can use 11speed shimano cassettes with campag?
    Its at the later end of the review..

Yeah, I saw that thanks. I was planning to use one of my older 10-speed Campag bikes on the turbo though.

I also read comments about shifting not being precise with Canpag 11 on Shimano 11.
  • I also read comments about shifting not being precise with Canpag 11 on Shimano 11.

Not the case at all, it’s actually better with a Shimano cassette particularly the cheaper ones like the 105. Nobody seems to know why but it just is. I personally used to run Campag Super Record 11 Speed with a set of wheels that had a Shimano freehub and an Ultegra cassette and it had the sweetest gearshift ever. Thousands of people are doing it successfully but you will only ever hear comments from the limited few who can’t set it up properly and they then complain that it doesn’t work. If you want confirmation look up DC RAINMAKER as he has done proper reviews on this and shown it to work perfectly.

If you have to stick to 10 speed then take my earlier advice and get a Miche cassette with Shimano fit and Campag spacing. Cheap and simple solution. As you said earlier though this is probably me being a knowall but not an arrogant one as you suggested.

Hope this helps you get sorted.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I have a large 40" screen set up and Direto direct drive turbo. I was using an iPad with a link to the big screen, but I've now had two of these HDMI link leads fail after a while so wouldn't recommend it. Now that the Apple TV 4th generation and 4K do Zwift, using one of those with a large monitor is the easiest way to get Zwift and the big screen set up you're seeking. If you plan on using other platforms such as Sufferfest, TrainerRoad etc, you'll need a PC powerful enough to run the graphics. You should still come in easily under £1k with the Direto and a decent lap top/tower PC.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    I have a large 40" screen set up and Direto direct drive turbo. I was using an iPad with a link to the big screen, but I've now had two of these HDMI link leads fail after a while so wouldn't recommend it. Now that the Apple TV 4th generation and 4K do Zwift, using one of those with a large monitor is the easiest way to get Zwift and the big screen set up you're seeking. If you plan on using other platforms such as Sufferfest, TrainerRoad etc, you'll need a PC powerful enough to run the graphics. You should still come in easily under £1k with the Direto and a decent lap top/tower PC.

Can I ask if those cables were genuine Apple? I e heard it makes a difference.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Tacx NEO (expensive but awesome if in budget)
    Apple TV
    Big flat screen TV
    Two powerful fans
    Yoga mat
    Zwift subscription

* There are also some good trainers that compete at the Tacx Flux price point.
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:

Can I ask if those cables were genuine Apple? I e heard it makes a difference.

Reports I read suggested the Apple ones are prone to failure too.
  • Tacx NEO (expensive but awesome if in budget)
    Apple TV
    Big flat screen TV
    Two powerful fans
    Yoga mat
    Zwift subscription

* There are also some good trainers that compete at the Tacx Flux price point.

Wow! Can't beat doing the job right
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    Upvote for the Neo from me too - I've had mine since late 2015 and love it............well love it when I need to use it!!

Definitely need a fan to keep you cool. I don't have a big TV in the garage yet but do use my iPad and also have a Sonos 1 for music.

Have a look at FulGaz - quite a decent package if you want real life videos rather than computer generated courses like Zwift........I'm not having a go at Zwift as I also subscribe to that too.
  • Aberdeen Al, thanks very much for that. I'd never even heard of FulGaz. I used to like the Tacx RLVs years ago on my Fortius trainer. The subscription seems reasonable and I've just had a look of the Alpe D'Huez climb and I'm hugely enthused. I've done it three times for real and it's definitely one I'd like to try. They're also beta testing Apple TV.
  • aberdeenal
    Aberdeen Al, thanks very much for that. I'd never even heard of FulGaz. I used to like the Tacx RLVs years ago on my Fortius trainer. The subscription seems reasonable and I've just had a look of the Alpe D'Huez climb and I'm hugely enthused. I've done it three times for real and it's definitely one I'd like to try. They're also beta testing Apple TV.

I rode AdH (for real) last September and the on FulGaz in March and I couldn't remember it being so steep in places but then I had stunning scenery to look at in September!
  • Al, the Alpe isn't too bad. Definitely an experience and thankfully fairly short.

I hope FulGaz have the most fantastic climb I've ever done - colle della Finestre (from the French side). If they have The Glandon I'll be avoiding it. That one nearly killed me. Almost ten years since I did it and the pain and bad memories are still with me.

Did you compare your times on AdH by any chance?
  • aberdeenal
    Al, the Alpe isn't too bad. Definitely an experience and thankfully fairly short.

I hope FulGaz have the most fantastic climb I've ever done - colle della Finestre (from the French side). If they have The Glandon I'll be avoiding it. That one nearly killed me. Almost ten years since I did it and the pain and bad memories are still with me.

Did you compare your times on AdH by any chance?

I was 18 minutes slower on FulGaz than I was in real life.

We descended partly down AdH then headed towards Allemont to climb Croix de For and Glandon.

The next day we did Col du Lautaret and Col du Galibier but unfortunately I pulled my hamstring (it was dodgy before I left for France) so struggled all day and then didn't do the descent of Galibier back to Le Bourg d'Osains
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Aberdeen Al, thanks very much for that. I'd never even heard of FulGaz.

FulGaz is pretty slick. There are many real life videos (shot from the handlebars, rather than from a car like some) so they give a very realistic point of view. I found the speeds were fairly accurate too. It's good as long as you don't want the interactive side of things. Also good if they have roads you plan on riding/racing as you can get a "feeler" for the course.

Zwift is king of the interactive indoor training world of course. I use it a lot. Road Grand Tours is supposed to be a pretty good rival to Zwift. It in Beta testing and needs more people riding it to populate the courses. I've downloaded it and plan on giving it a whirl soon.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Fulgaz HD videos are all here:

http://www.fulgaz.com/hd-cycling-videos/

...if you just want to watch them without interactivity (or wish to see which routes they have).
  • I decided to remain loyal to Tacx. Much as I would have liked a Neo, I can't really justify the cost.

I got an amazing buy on eBay. A brand new sealed box Tacx Flux for £380. It's the new 2018 model and my thinking is that if I did decide in the future that I can justify the Neo, I'm going to lose very little on the Flux.

I'm hoping Tacx have sorted out the issues with early models. First issue for me to sort is a Campagnolo freehub for it which I've just ordered.

Next thing is a HR strap. Any recommendations?

I'm intending to use this with a big TV. I now have a Firestick (birthday present) and miraculously have worked out how to mirror my phone. Is this the way to go or is a bit of cable a better option?
  • StillGoing
    HR monitor - Wahoo Tickr. BTE and ANT+ compatible.

Mirroring has its problems. You're better off using either an iPad or PC with an ANT+ or BTE dongle, depending on which software you intend using. You can get a lightening to HDMI cable to plug your phone directly into the TV for uninterupted viewing, but all of the ones I've tried, eventually fail. If its Zwift you intend using, Apple TV 4th generation on has it included as an app. Sufferfest are rumoured to be heading the same way in the future.
  • I'm tempted to try a proper Apple cable.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    HR monitor - Wahoo Tickr. BTE and ANT+ compatible.

PinarelloPrince I can't believe you didn't respond to this suggestion, especially as you were so strongly opinionated about the Wahoo/Sky connection earlier in this thread. philthy3 is quite right to recommend the Wahoo Tickr though as it is a very good HR monitor.
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    I do 100+ miles/week on Zwift on a bog standard trainer (Tacx Swing) with a powertap on the back wheel and find it is brilliant for both group / solo steady rides and speedwork - no need for smart trainer.