Smart trainer. Help needed

I’m new here. I’ve just returned to cycling after retiring and am really enjoying it again.

I want to get fit this winter and am intending to buy a smart trainer.

As an old bloke I’m a bit of a technophobe but I want to use Zwift. Therefore I need easiest route possible.

I have the luxury of a gym room to situate the bike and I also have a spare bike. All my bikes are Campag so that is a consideration.

I’d also like to use Zwift etc with a big TV and I have one of those spare as well.

Budget is as much under £1,000 to get the job done.

I like Tacx as I have a Fortius (sitting in the garage) and was initially drawn to the Tacx Flux but have read many horror stories. Have these been sorted.

I can get a Neo for £850 and though I’m prepared to pay that much, I only want to pay if it has significant advantages.

Perhaps there is something else I need to look at?

Also is Apple TV worthwhile?

I’m looking for a top notch set up that will just work every time I get on it.

Oh, and my IPad is ancient so I’ll be running things from a not so ancient iPhone 6s

Hope that covers everything. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Comments

• Oops. Should have said, no thanks to Wahoo anything.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Check out the DC Rainmaker reviews on all the options.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I had a Tacx Flux (well 3 of them) and upgraded to a Neo and I wouldn't look back.

It's super quiet, really accurate and has more than enough resistance for anyone.

If you can afford one and would consider it I would say get one, you won't look back.

The Elite Direto is also one for you to consider.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    This might help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVnxxWJA9s

My Turbo isnt smart - but I have gears for resistance so I saved a huge amount there. If you stick to it then you can think of upgrading the turbo. Spend a lot of money on fans ! :-)
  • Oops. Should have said, no thanks to Wahoo anything.

Can I ask why you say ‘no thanks to Wahoo’ ? The reason I ask is that I work in the Cycle retail industry and sell a number of different Smart Trainers including Wahoo and in my opinion they are by far the best for many reasons. Reliability, software stability and updates, ease of use, functionality and accuracy and realistic feel. I’m not in any way linked to Wahoo so this is an unbiased comment. I’m interested to know what you have heard and your reasons for your comments.

The Wahoo Kirk at £1000 is superb, is direct drive (rear wheel out) or the Kirk Snap which is more conventional with wheel in use. We have tested these against a very good power meter and they were within 2 watts accuracy of the power meter readings. The Snap is almost silent and at only £500 is well within budget.

Graham
  • Sorry that should have read KIKR and not Kirk (predictive spelling!)
  • I’m new here. I’ve just returned to cycling after retiring and am really enjoying it again.

I want to get fit this winter and am intending to buy a smart trainer.

As an old bloke I’m a bit of a technophobe but I want to use Zwift. Therefore I need easiest route possible.

I have the luxury of a gym room to situate the bike and I also have a spare bike. All my bikes are Campag so that is a consideration.

I’d also like to use Zwift etc with a big TV and I have one of those spare as well.

Budget is as much under £1,000 to get the job done.

I like Tacx as I have a Fortius (sitting in the garage) and was initially drawn to the Tacx Flux but have read many horror stories. Have these been sorted.

I can get a Neo for £850 and though I’m prepared to pay that much, I only want to pay if it has significant advantages.

Perhaps there is something else I need to look at?

Also is Apple TV worthwhile?

I’m looking for a top notch set up that will just work every time I get on it.

Oh, and my IPad is ancient so I’ll be running things from a not so ancient iPhone 6s

Hope that covers everything. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

If you get a plug in adapter for your iPhone 6 to HDMI you can then connect that to your big TV and have Zwift on big screen.
    Also I forgot to mention that Zwift work very closely with Wahoo so the functionality of Zwift is better when used with a Wahoo trainer. At the moment they are doing reduced subscription costs for Zwift if purchased with a Wahoo trainer.
  • Re Wahoo. Very simple. I believe they are linked to Sky. I don’t particularly want to help fund Sky no matter how indirectly.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do you by any chance have any Pinarellos ???

I doubt wahoo are funding sky. More likely the other way round.
  • Re Wahoo. Very simple. I believe they are linked to Sky. I don’t particularly want to help fund Sky no matter how indirectly.

Sorry to be blunt but that is absolute nonsense. They are nothing to do with Sky whatsoever. They are an independent company started by a guy who originally made very bespoke and very expensive boat houses for Uber rich Americans. As a keen cyclist he was fed up with all the unreliable rubbish trainers and computers out there he decided to develop his own and eliminate all the issues with the others. Just because a Pro Team used a product for a while doesn’t mean that the company is linked to their main sponsor. For the same reason would you never have Shimano or Pinarello for example?

I can assure you that Wahoo are not linked to or part of Sky.
  • I wouldn’t mind betting that you’ve got Sky TV though! which would mean you were personally directly funding them!
  • PinarelloPrince
    PinarelloPrince Posts: 124
    edited June 2018
    Blimey. This is a bit hostile but never mind.

I understand Wahoo support Sky by supplying their trainers.

Yes I have a Pinarello Prince. Bought before they got involved with Sky.

No, I don’t have Sky TV so I win that bet. How much have I won?
  • Now, I was seeking help and advice on a smart trainer set up. I wasn’t expecting the Spanish Inquisition (though even they gave notice they were calling) over my preferences.

To reiterate . I’m happy to spend up to £1,000 OF MY MONEY on a Smart trainer. My preference is that it isn’t a Wahoo machine.

My choice. My money.
  • Is there any advantage to having Apple TV or will the plug in cable do just as well?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pretty sure there's links between Apple and Sky...
  • cougie wrote:
    Pretty sure there's links between Apple and Sky...

Feel free to start a discussion about it. Elsewhere.

If you are bored I can find you some charity work. If you have anything to contribute to my thread please do so. I’ll happily consider any contribution

Please don’t thread crap for the sake of it. Cheers.
  • Now, I was seeking help and advice on a smart trainer set up. I wasn’t expecting the Spanish Inquisition (though even they gave notice they were calling) over my preferences.

To reiterate . I’m happy to spend up to £1,000 OF MY MONEY on a Smart trainer. My preference is that it isn’t a Wahoo machine.

My choice. My money.

And I think you have had some very good advice but you are being somewhat narrow minded by ruling something out simply because of a vague connection to Team Sky. OK you may not have Sky TV but have you ever used a KASK helmet, Muc Off cleaning or lubrication products, Fizik saddles, Park Tools, Elite bottle cages (the list can go on) as these are all sponsors of Team Sky and the moment you purchase any of these brands you are indirectly supporting them. All I can say is that you must seriously hate everything about Sky to make you actively limit your choice of products for yourself. This begs the question, why do you still have your Pinarello? Surely you should have sold it in disgust and disapproval. Just a thought.
  • Sorry forgot to mention, Castelli, Rapha, Adidas, and what car brand do you have, Ford, Jaguar maybe? It could get to the ridiculous point where there isn’t much left to choose from that aren’t supporting Sky in some way!
    Surely when you have strong feelings in this way you have to be consistent with it!
  • Sorry forgot to mention, Castelli, Rapha, Adidas, and what car brand do you have, Ford, Jaguar maybe? It could get to the ridiculous point where there isn’t much left to choose from that aren’t supporting Sky in some way!
    Surely when you have strong feelings in this way you have to be consistent with it!

Do you have anything to contribute to this thread? If so please let me hear it.

If not, I suggest you take your argument elsewhere cos I’m not interested.
  • What a strange forum this is. Is it always so confrontational?

I don’t want a wahoo trainer. I’ve stated why.

I’m a vegetarian. Going with the comments so far I shouldn’t really be living in a house next to a field full of cows that are shortly going to be killed for meat. I also shouldn’t talk to the farmer.

Utterly ridiculous responses by two people to a newcomer to the forum. I wish I’d never asked TBH.

Do you have anything to contribute to this thread? If so please let me hear it.

If you can be bothered to read my contributions to this thread you will see that I have given useful information at
    12:56
    12:59
    1:10
    1:21
    2:37
    2:42

I hope this answers your question regarding my contributions and the fact that you say (quote) “I’m not interested” was already apparent, which kind of begs the question as to why you asked in the first place if you are not interested!

I’m a vegetarian. Going with the comments so far I shouldn’t really be living in a house next to a field full of cows that are shortly going to be killed for meat. I also shouldn’t talk to the farmer.

Utterly ridiculous responses by two people to a newcomer to the forum. I wish I’d never asked TBH.

They are not ridiculous responses at all. They are giving good advice and reasons that your understanding of matters is incorrect and that you are ruling something out unnecessarily and for all the wrong reasons. Apologies if this has offended but it has been done with the best intentions.

They are not ridiculous responses at all. They are giving good advice and reasons that your understanding of matters is incorrect and that you are ruling something out unnecessarily and for all the wrong reasons. Apologies if this has offended but it has been done with the best intentions.

Correction. In YOUR OPINION they’re not ridiculous responses
  • I’ve scanned through your responses and see little in the way of helpful contribution TBH.

You mentioned earlier that you work in the cycle retail industry. I hope that isn’t ‘front of house’. I’d suggest if it is you may like to consider a career change.

The customer may not always be right but they normally don’t like being lectured by an opinionated knowall.

Have a good day. I intend to ignore you from now on.
  • Do you have anything to contribute to this thread? If so please let me hear it.

I think you will find that I have contributed six times with very useful information about smart trainers and their merits etc and also hopefully dispelling any myths regarding any links to Team Sky which may be clouding your reasoning as to which one to go for. I cannot take my ‘argument’ elsewhere as you put it as it was you who asked the question in the first place. Moreover it is not an argument but more so advice. Sadly as you now say, you are not interested so may I suggest you make your own mind up without any advice from us. All the best and good luck.
  • The customer may not always be right but they normally don’t like being lectured by an opinionated knowall.

Have a good day. I intend to ignore you from now on.

I bet you don’t!
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    I had 2 flux trainers...the 1st developed a ticking noise after 3months use, the 2nd never made it past the initial set up with another strange noise, and was returned immediately to the LBS where they set it up with the same result.
    I decided on a refund as i wasn't going to chance a 3rd, this happened between Nov.17 and Jan 18..so not sure all the problems with them are sorted although I suspect i may have been unlucky.
    Changed it for the Cycleops Hammer have done around 3.5k on it so far without issue the reviews say its a little noisier than the Neo but its certainly not loud ..its solid and stable and replicates up to 20% inclines ( Zwifts max atm is 17%) .
    They are coming down in price Halfords do have them sale price regularly which if you have BC 10% discount can make them very reasonable.
    Can't comment on any other direct drive as i havn't only had the 2, but the tacx t2240 smart trainer was a good introduction to Zwift and a smart trainer.
    I use an ipad air2 with a tacx bar mount and it pairs without issue ..not used apple tv but i believe its also easy to set up.
    Hope that helps a little. :)
  • sh3p wrote:
    I had 2 flux trainers...the 1st developed a ticking noise after 3months use, the 2nd never made it past the initial set up with another strange noise, and was returned immediately to the LBS where they set it up with the same result.
    I decided on a refund as i wasn't going to chance a 3rd, this happened between Nov.17 and Jan 18..so not sure all the problems with them are sorted although I suspect i may have been unlucky.
    Changed it for the Cycleops Hammer have done around 3.5k on it so far without issue the reviews say its a little noisier than the Neo but its certainly not loud ..its solid and stable and replicates up to 20% inclines ( Zwifts max atm is 17%) .
    They are coming down in price Halfords do have them sale price regularly which if you have BC 10% discount can make them very reasonable.
    Can't comment on any other direct drive as i havn't only had the 2, but the tacx t2240 smart trainer was a good introduction to Zwift and a smart trainer.
    I use an ipad air2 with a tacx bar mount and it pairs without issue ..not used apple tv but i believe its also easy to set up.
    Hope that helps a little. :)

Yes it does help in as much it’s further put me off the Tacx Flux a bit more though as you say the problems may have been sorted.

I see the Hammer for about £750 so that is certainly an option. I’ll do some research on it. Thanks.
  • Looks like the Hammer might not hit the nail on the head. No Campagnolo freehub option.
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    From the road cc review http://road.cc/content/review/223785-cy ... rt-trainer

You can use 11speed shimano cassettes with campag?
    Its at the later end of the review..