New Bike for 90% Road + 10% Gravel

equinefunk
equinefunk Posts: 323
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new "do it all" bike. I have a Spesh Allez Sport and a flat bar Cross type Bike (Cube Cross SL Road). Both of which are a bit old. Which I am going to sell to part fund my new bike.

I am doing the Reiver's Route in a couple of weeks and want to get a new bike to do this ride as well as our regular C2C which we do every year, these routes are mainly road but with some gravel sections.

I want to use it for my road riding at the weekend (which I'm slowly starting to enjoy) when I don't have time to use it on the trails.

I have Mountain Bikes so I don't really need the full on "off road" capabilities, just something that if need be can deal with a section.

I've looked at the following bikes, but would like some feedback from any owners or recommendations for any other Bikes:

CUBE Nuroad Pro - no carbon fork?
Merida Silex 6000 - too offroad?
Focus Paralane - perfect bike?

I don't need panniers or other things like that.

Thanks in advance
I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    What size tyres are you aiming to use?
  • equinefunk
    I was thinking around 32mm....
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    I think the cannondale with single sided forks look really cool. Just my opinion based on look though
  • trek_dan
    equinefunk wrote:
    If you want to go for 32mm tyres I'd go for a racy carbon CX bike like a Cannondale SuperX (or even a PX XLS) over any of the above 'gravel' bikes.
  • equinefunk
    trek_dan wrote:
    equinefunk wrote:
    If you want to go for 32mm tyres I'd go for a racy carbon CX bike like a Cannondale SuperX (or even a PX XLS) over any of the above 'gravel' bikes.
    Are those bikes suitable for all day riding?
  • trek_dan
    equinefunk wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:
    equinefunk wrote:
    Are those bikes suitable for all day riding?
    Any bike is suitable for all day riding, not sure I buy the marketing BS with regards to 'gravel bikes.' But the main thing they won't be is a massive compromise on road.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited June 2018
    https://www.cube.eu/cz/2018/bikes/road/ ... grey-2018/ has a carbon blade, alloy steerer fork, just like my Cube in sig. The Nuroad has tyre clearance for up to ~45mm, according to a chap in the trade on singletrackworld forum. I'm keeping my eye out for when this model hits end of season bargains for the first time later this year.

The Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc has clearance for at least 31mm tyres, which is how wide my 28mm Continental Grand Sport race measure and I expect the GP4000 S2s to be the same. I've still yet to see if my 32mm Specialized Houffalize from my old 2009 Tricross Singlecross fit! :lol:
    They're aren't many left of the 2017 version, which I believe only differs from my 2016 (and many others on here) in having centrelock rotors instead of 6-bolt. https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/ro ... rey_373882 has 58cm and 60cm frames left, good for anyone ~5'10" to ~6'2" with ~32-34" cycling inseam.

Edit: ~32-34" cycling inseam!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444
    Hi,
    I’ve recently posted on the CX Forum re the Orro Terra - I think it might fit the bill. I won’t bang on about it here too otherwise people will think I work for them! Do a search and you’ll see a previous post I also contributed . You also mention The Paralane which I think fits the bill for your purpose too.
    BW
  • equinefunk
    https://www.cube.eu/cz/2018/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/nuroad/cube-nuroad-pro-blackngrey-2018/ has a carbon blade, alloy steerer fork, just like my Cube in sig. The Nuroad has tyre clearance for up to ~45mm, according to a chap in the trade on singletrackworld forum. I'm keeping my eye out for when this model hits end of season bargains for the first time later this year.

The Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc has clearance for at least 31mm tyres, which is how wide my 28mm Continental Grand Sport race measure and I expect the GP4000 S2s to be the same. I've still yet to see if my 32mm Specialized Houffalize from my old 2009 Tricross Singlecross fit! :lol:
    They're aren't many left of the 2017 version, which I believe only differs from my 2016 (and many others on here) in having centrelock rotors instead of 6-bolt. https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/ro ... rey_373882 has 58cm and 60cm frames left, good for anyone ~5'10" to ~6'2" with ~32-24" cycling inseam.
    My bad for misreading the Carbon fork on the Nuroad.

The Attain looks a bargain at that price...I think 32mm would be fine for what I want to do.
  • equinefunk
    Hi,
    I’ve recently posted on the CX Forum re the Orro Terra - I think it might fit the bill. I won’t bang on about it here too otherwise people will think I work for them! Do a search and you’ll see a previous post I also contributed . You also mention The Paralane which I think fits the bill for your purpose too.
    BW
    Thanks, I was looking at the Orbea, but it's more than I want to spend TBH
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    equinefunk wrote:
    Hi,
    BW

He Means the ORRO Terra not the Orbea.
    https://www.orrobikes.com/bikes/adventure
  • equinefunk
    Calpol wrote:
    equinefunk wrote:
    Hi,
    BW

He Means the ORRO Terra not the Orbea.
    https://www.orrobikes.com/bikes/adventure

Sorry one of the problems reading messages on my phone.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I'd just do the reiver route on a mtb and get a road bike that takes fairly fat tyres - maybe a used bmc gran fondo or something. I like my gravel bike but it's crap on any real off road so the main advantage is not worrying too much about potholes and using it on gravel paths which you could do on a road bike with fat tyres.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • equinefunk
    I'd just do the reiver route on a mtb and get a road bike that takes fairly fat tyres - maybe a used bmc gran fondo or something. I like my gravel bike but it's crap on any real off road so the main advantage is not worrying too much about potholes and using it on gravel paths which you could do on a road bike with fat tyres.
    Why are you saying do the Reiver on a MTB? I have planned the route and apart from the section through Kielder it is predomintly Road. I'll have a look at the BMC thanks.
  • equinefunk
    https://www.cube.eu/cz/2018/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/nuroad/cube-nuroad-pro-blackngrey-2018/ has a carbon blade, alloy steerer fork, just like my Cube in sig. The Nuroad has tyre clearance for up to ~45mm, according to a chap in the trade on singletrackworld forum. I'm keeping my eye out for when this model hits end of season bargains for the first time later this year.

They're aren't many left of the 2017 version, which I believe only differs from my 2016 (and many others on here) in having centrelock rotors instead of 6-bolt. https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/ro ... rey_373882 has 58cm and 60cm frames left, good for anyone ~5'10" to ~6'2" with ~32-34" cycling inseam.

Edit: ~32-34" cycling inseam!

I spoke to Rutland and they advise not taking the Attain off road...which is a shame. Has anyone got experience of riding this off groomed tarmac?
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I'm sure they get ridden over the cobbles in Flanders enough. The issue here is that there is an ISO standard for road bikes and another one for off-road bikes. Part of the reason why gravel bikes are so weighty, they are impact tested to MTB specs.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Surely just bang some slightly bigger tyres on a road bike?
    In club runs I’ve done over the years we’ve often ventured onto gravel roads, never had an issue. Is it the bike industry creating a niche where none is needed?
    I know people take Cx bikes round some MTB trails.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    NapoleonD wrote:
    In club runs I’ve done over the years we’ve often ventured onto gravel roads, never had an issue. Is it the bike industry creating a niche where none is needed?

I guess there would technically be an issue with warranties and things. A cx bike with big enough tyres would manage most UK trail centres if you want to though...
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    HaydenM wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I guess there would technically be an issue with warranties and things. A cx bike with big enough tyres would manage most UK trail centres if you want to though...

I negotiated my old 'crosser down Spooky Wood (Glentress, red run) once upon a time. Wouldn't recommend it. Blue runs, sure.
  • equinefunk
    HaydenM wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I spoke to a local Cube dealer, how basically implied the same thing....thinking about my gravel/road usage. It's probably near all road with occassional use on farm track and fire tracks.
  • jamiedal
    jamiedal Posts: 18
    Why not try the Planet X London road, that’s what I will be getting with my next cycle to work voucher for the exact same thing. Only problem is you will have to wait until August for the next model unless you fit a small frame size
  • equinefunk
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I think it is BS.....going to get an endurance bike which can take bigger tyres
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Get a road bike with disc brakes - the vast majority will take 32mm tyres for gravel...and will be nicer for the 90% of your ride on road
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Poptart242 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I negotiated my old 'crosser down Spooky Wood (Glentress, red run) once upon a time. Wouldn't recommend it. Blue runs, sure.

Spooky wood is basically smooth! :wink: I jest, as you say, the blue up there is fun for all bikes/levels, really nicely built. I'd be worried about dinging rims if I didn't have wide enough tyres but it's more the steep 'unofficial' stuff I would steer clear of in the Tweed valley. I guess these days you could squeeze something xc tyre width onto some bikes, I'm tempted to try some of the the innerleithen DH tracks on one just for the challenge...
  • equinefunk
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yes!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • poptart242
    HaydenM wrote:

Spooky wood is basically smooth! :wink: I jest, as you say, the blue up there is fun for all bikes/levels, really nicely built. I'd be worried about dinging rims if I didn't have wide enough tyres but it's more the steep 'unofficial' stuff I would steer clear of in the Tweed valley. I guess these days you could squeeze something xc tyre width onto some bikes, I'm tempted to try some of the the innerleithen DH tracks on one just for the challenge...

I'm always happy to give it both barrels, even on a hardtail, but wooft the jumps were hairy with CX geometry :oops: :lol:
  • poptart242
    equinefunk wrote:

Absolutely!
  • equinefunk
    I've seen the Cube Attain this weekend and it seems a nice bike, but my lbs has this is and it obviously it's a lot nicer. Not sure whether it's worth the extra money for me.... main advantage for me is it can take a 32mm tyre. https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/canno ... 18-p328154
  • ds2288
    ds2288 Posts: 36
    If you wanted to stick with conventional road bikes I'd look at a Canyon Endurace CF SLX or a Trek Domane/Specialized Roubaix. Endurance geometry, and clearance for 30-32mm tyres plus disc brakes. If you like the Focus Paralane, these are 3 other options. Alternatively a Mason Bokeh would be a hoot.