New Wheels - DT Swiss RR 21 / Farsport 50mm CC

2»

Comments

• flight147z
    flight147z Posts: 69
    Shipping next week apparently. If I get them within 2 weeks I'm happy with that

Fixed the bike tonight barring the wheel and I think it will make a big difference when I can get rid of the broken one!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Very tidy. Excited to see these! A really great choice.
  • flight147z
    flight147z Posts: 69
    Arrived at UK customs yesterday. I'm going on holiday tomorrow so unless they come tomorrow morning I won't get them until next week

I think I might be due to pay about £140 in VAT and import duty which I kind of forgot about until yesterday...!
  • Wheels arrived today. According to the box they were worth $129 so the import duties and VAT were very reasonable in the end.

I don't have the tools to fit the cassette from my old wheels so I haven't ridden on them yet. Total weight is 1,561g for my set without skewers. They feel super light when I pick them up. Bowl in the pictures was so the wheels didn't fall off the scales. I reset the scales with the bowl sitting on them.

They look like nice quality wheels and it is personal preference I guess but I like the stealth look without logos. They will match my stealth Canyon bike.

I'll post again with thoughts once I have ridden on them.

I can probably get better pictures if anyone wants any

2018_08_01_18_31_10.jpg

2018_08_01_18_35_45.jpg

2018_08_01_18_36_14.jpg

2018_08_01_18_36_38.jpg
  • Fitted them to my bike this morning. Loving the new look.

There was easily enough clearance, though I had to change the front brake cable as the one on there was too short for the wider rims. Easy job though as that's not one of the cables that goes through the frame!

I also ended up paying for two sets of next day delivery from wiggle as I forgot to order the "bolt" to undo the cassette lock ring first time round

Planning on doing a 100km ride today to break them in - hopefully I'll be as impressed with the performance as I am with the looks!

IMG_20180805_103742.jpg
  • shirley_basso
    Pleased to hear it. Quite a change from where you started!
  • shirley_basso
    How was the ride?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Yes interested to see what you think of them too?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Not the best ride unfortunately.

Managed to get a (very slow) flat on the rear about 30 miles in to a planned 63 mile ride. Probably should have just changed the tube but instead I kept topping up the tube that was in there and got the train home. I have changed the tube now so I'm hoping when I get home from work it's still got air in it and I just installed the first tube badly and got a pinch flat or something or somehow damaged the valve.

You can put Continental GPs on these rims without levers without too much effort - that's what I did anyway.

30 miles was enough to get some preliminary thoughts on the wheels though. The are noticeably lighter to me than the ones that come off the bike (Mavic Aksiums) even though there is only a 300g difference. The mass seems better spread too, when they get rolling they have a nice feel of momentum to them that I didn't get with my old wheels. No issues with climbing, I think the reduction in weight has made it easier, so for me I don't feel the need to have a second set of climbing wheels. I might put some alloy wheels on if I ride a lot in the rain this winter though.

They are a lot wider than my old wheels so I'm running them at 80psi, rather than the 100-110 I used to run my old wheels at. The bike is now noticeably more comfortable on all road surfaces.

The hubs spin for a really long time - they seem to be much better quality than those on the Mavics. The rear hub was silent when I put it on - no clicks at all when freewheeling but they got a bit louder towards the end of the ride so I'm guessing that will continue as I wear them in.

Braking is great, unless I'm braking really heavily it's on a par with my old wheels in the dry, even on the generic pads supplied by Farsports. I assume it would improve with some Swissstop pads which I will probably order to put on next. No real noise on braking either. The pads leave some brake "dust" on the rims but it is easy to wipe off.

The best part is definitely the looks though :lol: here is a better picture than the one above (if you ignore the non-matching bottles). If you want closer pictures or a picture of anything in particular, or just more thoughts on the wheels let me know.

IMG_20180805_110432.jpg
  • shirley_basso
    Hope you're pleased that we totally convinced you to change your mind!

New pads can help but tbh I just use the really cheap pads from planet x (selcof) or wiggle (lifeline). Once you do about 50 miles they soften right up and are really good.

Re: the photos, if you position the camera 'just' above the height of the shifters, perpendicular to the frame it makes it all look a bit better.
  • Yeah good shout the bars look weird from that angle

How long can you get out of a set of pads?
  • How much did you end up paying in total then for vat/ ID?
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Look good. I bought some Farsports wheels a couple of years ago a d my experience wasn't so good. Rear wheel arrived warped and the replacement rim they sent wasn't the same so I ended up with a non matching pair. Going to use the internals to get a new set built up in the UK. I dont think I would risk buying from China again, despite most having a positive experience.
  • How much did you end up paying in total then for vat/ ID?

£553, but as above I was lucky on the taxes
    Look good. I bought some Farsports wheels a couple of years ago a d my experience wasn't so good. Rear wheel arrived warped and the replacement rim they sent wasn't the same so I ended up with a non matching pair. Going to use the internals to get a new set built up in the UK. I dont think I would risk buying from China again, despite most having a positive experience.

Warped or not true? Assume they were unusable given you got a replacement? Hopefully a bit of bad luck and not a sign of things to come for me!

I thought when I ordered mine that Farsports sold the rims separately too so if I damaged them in the future I could get new rims and build from these hubs, but I can't find any rim only options from Farsports now so I might be wrong
  • Camcycle1974
    flight147z wrote:
    How much did you end up paying in total then for vat/ ID?

£553, but as above I was lucky on the taxes

Warped or not true? Assume they were unusable given you got a replacement? Hopefully a bit of bad luck and not a sign of things to come for me!

I thought when I ordered mine that Farsports sold the rims separately too so if I damaged them in the future I could get new rims and build from these hubs, but I can't find any rim only options from Farsports now so I might be wrong

Warped unfortunately and therfore unrideable. What annoyed me was that they didn't replace like for like so I ended up with a non-matching pair. They do supply rims only but given the taxes etc and the fact they take payment in dollars which I would then get charged by PayPal for converting I have decided its not worth the hassle buying from China when I can get a pair of carbon rims in the UK for not much more money and use my existing hubs. Farsports did warranty the original rim but the outcome wasn't totally satisfactory.
  • Ah that's a shame. Hope you've sorted an alternative out. Had a look through wheelsfar and couldn't find any time only options unless I'm missing something or you have to email for a quote or something?

I've got 980 miles in 9 days to break these in in September so should definitely have a good feel for them by the end of that!
  • Camcycle1974
    flight147z wrote:
    Ah that's a shame. Hope you've sorted an alternative out. Had a look through wheelsfar and couldn't find any time only options unless I'm missing something or you have to email for a quote or something?

I've got 980 miles in 9 days to break these in in September so should definitely have a good feel for them by the end of that!

Just email Sandy or Wendy or whoever you dealt with. They do supply rims only as Sandy recently gave me a quote for two 50mm rims of the new type they are doing. As I said going to stick with buying in the UK despite it being more expensive. Good luck with the ride, LEJOG?

• Just email Sandy or Wendy or whoever you dealt with. They do supply rims only as Sandy recently gave me a quote for two 50mm rims of the new type they are doing. As I said going to stick with buying in the UK despite it being more expensive. Good luck with the ride, LEJOG?

Yes, that's the one - looking forward to it hopefully there won't be a lot of rain!
  • Camcycle1974
    flight147z wrote:

Just email Sandy or Wendy or whoever you dealt with. They do supply rims only as Sandy recently gave me a quote for two 50mm rims of the new type they are doing. As I said going to stick with buying in the UK despite it being more expensive. Good luck with the ride, LEJOG?

Yes, that's the one - looking forward to it hopefully there won't be a lot of rain!

On my list to do too with a mate who's done it before. Not sure I'd use a brand new set of carbon wheels for it though!
  • shirley_basso
    Why not? Apart from slightly poorer wet weather braking they are equally as good or even better than alu competitors.
  • Camcycle1974
    Yes, I guess that is true. Carbon for me are dry weather wheels, prefer the predictable response of alu in the wet. Scottish weather is often wet and there are some pretty steep inclines on the route. Not sure I'd want to be doing 40mph downhill in the wet on carbon rims quite possibly loaded as well.
  • Why not? Apart from slightly poorer wet weather braking they are equally as good or even better than alu competitors.
    Why not? Apart from slightly poorer wet weather braking they are equally as good or even better than alu competitors.

Since I got these wheels I've been trying not to "drag" the brakes as I understand short, sharp applications are better than prolonged holding in of the levers. This does mean I need to think about braking more as I definitely didn't care about dragging the brakes on my alu rims.

I'm intrigued to see what they are like in the wet. They are better in the dry than I expected. I won't be carrying any gear on LEJOG but I obviously can't switch wheels part way through.

I normally avoid going out in the rain to be honest.
  • shirley_basso
    You'd struggle to damage them in the UK, no need panic unless you're extremely heavy or doing very long descents like you may get in the high mountains.
  • monda
    monda Posts: 32
    Hi. Sorry to bring up an older thread but how did your long ride go and have you anymore thoughts on the wheels? Really considering pulling the trigger on a set of 50mm with st Swiss hubs and looking for as much info as I can get. Thanks
  • Monda wrote:
    Hi. Sorry to bring up an older thread but how did your long ride go and have you anymore thoughts on the wheels? Really considering pulling the trigger on a set of 50mm with st Swiss hubs and looking for as much info as I can get. Thanks

Hey - not been back here for a while, and I guess now I might be too late for you!

I've done ~1,500 miles on the new wheels though and they are great. Would definitely recommend them and I think they have come down in price too since I bought mine.

I've used mine in all weathers and there is no notable wear. They are still perfectly true too and I'm on the original brake pads which came with the wheels

As for the ride - I've written in up in a blog if you are interested. Not done too many miles since though!

https://nkbdoesrab.wordpress.com/
  • So after 2 problem free years of running these wheels I managed to do this to them today climbing Park Rash. A loose stone got trapped between my rim and frame and put a deep score into the side of the rim around the entire circumference just below the end of the braking track

IMG-20200824-162112-1

Assumption is that this needs replacing. Unfortunately Farsports don't seem to sell single wheels so that I can do a direct like for like replacement. I have messaged them to see if they can provide a price for a single wheel
  • Some more pics

IMG-20200825-102031

IMG-20200825-102003

IMG-20200825-101850
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Bad luck but It's only a scratch, it not cracked, I wouldn't worry about it.