Giro 2018, Stage 21: Criterium in Rome - 115 kilometres, *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited May 2018 in Pro race
Giro 2018, Stage 21: Criterium in Rome - 115 kilometres

Sunday, 27 May 2018 - The 21st and last stage of the Giro d'Italia is a parade of 115 kilometres in Rome. Ten laps in the Italian capital and the first Grand Tour of 2018 is history.
Last year, the Giro d’Italia saw a mesmerizing finale with four riders within 1 minute of the pink jersey. In the last stage, which was an ITT, Jos van Emden took the win while his compatriot Tom Dumoulin retook the overall lead and thus the overall victory. A similar scenario is unlikely with a parade stage on the last day of action.
The route is flat and undemanding. Start and finish of the lap are on the Via dei Fori Imperiali, halfway the Colosseum and Piazza Venezia. The first half goes through the old city, via Circus Maximus to the Colosseum, while the second half is a straight line to the finish.
In 2016 the Giro concluded with a criterium in Turin – Nikias Arndt sprinted to the win. In 2015’s last stage Iljo Keisse and Luke Durbridge took the peloton by surprise and managed to outperform the chasing pack. The Belgian rider won the two-up sprint.

Profile:-
stage-21-profile.jpg?01

Map:-
stage-21-route.jpg?01

The Final Finish:-
stage-21-5km.jpg?01
stage-21-finish.jpg

ROMA

The capital city of the Italian Republic is the most intensively populated and widest city in Italy. Being the heart of the Catholic Christianity, it is the only city in the world with an entire state within, the enclave of Vatican City.

MAIN SIGHTS
The old town (within the Aurelian and Janiculum walls – Unesco World Heritage), Appia Antica regional Nature Park, Città del Vaticano, Musei Capitolini, MAXXI (Museum of the 21st century arts), Ostia Antica (archaeological site), the city’s parks (Villa Borghese, Villa Ada, Villa Pamphili, Pincio, Gianicolo).

HISTORY
Population: 2,800,000
Foundation: 753 B.C.
Ancient name: Ruma

Colosseo.jpg
Panorama.jpg

After which, the Emperor of this Giro will be crowned.
1951-Quo-Vadis-05.jpg

While the astonished crowd look on in awe.
11-05-12-quo-vadis-ustinov.jpg

As the winner soaks up the atmosphere.
1696201_orig.gif

Meanwhile, the runners up look on with a mixture of envy.
tumblr_ljwa1c61ZR1qzjl0k.jpg

and sadness.
DA4_sDMUwAEHDCJ.jpg

Favourites for the 21st Stage of the Giro d'Italia.

*** Elia Viviani, Sam Bennett
** Sacha Modolo, Danny van Poppel
* Niccolo Bonifazio, Jens Debusschere

THE END.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    *Round of applause for Blazing*
  • Yep, large amounts of hat for your efforts with these threads. They really have been excellent. Can’t wait to see what you do for France ;)
  • As for the stage, meh, it’ll be Viviani, won’t it?
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    As for the stage, meh, it’ll be Viviani, won’t it?
    Probably but who cares? Tomorrow should just be a celebration of a phenomenal three weeks. Probably the most exciting grand tour in my 12 years of watching them.
  • As for the stage, meh, it’ll be Viviani, won’t it?
    Probably but who cares? Tomorrow should just be a celebration of a phenomenal three weeks. Probably the most exciting grand tour in my 12 years of watching them.
    It’s been an absolute belter, hasn’t it? 8)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    Well done to Blazing for some wondrous thread openers.

Well done for the riders for putting on almost as good a spectacle :wink:
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,435
    Yeah fantastic effort blazing, Maybe gone a bit far with this one though... could have done the Ben Hur laps scene.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860

I'll second/third whatever that

top score blazing.

I couldn't be arsed to say a good job every stage cos that's not how I roll.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    sunweb split the bunch, take the jersey
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • sunweb split the bunch, take the jersey
    That would genuinely be hilarious :mrgreen:
  • sunweb split the bunch, take the jersey
    That would genuinely be hilarious :mrgreen:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Yeah fantastic effort blazing, Maybe gone a bit far with this one though... could have done the Ben Hur laps scene.

Any reference to horse power was likely to be misconstrued, so I went with the maglia rosa/ciclamino theme.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    I would also like to add the the vote of thanks, Blazing Saddles. Not normally a fan of the Giro, more of a disinterested bystander, but your intros have really got me into it. The icing on the cake has been the racing, which has been not too bad.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926

^^^^^^ Yes, a BIG thank you!
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    source.gif
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    Giro 2018: Fro the birthplace of Christianity to the heart of the Holy Roman Empire, via 21 stages and maybe a few centuries.
    It's been a fabulous GT.
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    Many thanks for the Intro's Blazing. Really added to the enjoyment of a Historic Giro.
    On the clinic that reads as 'hysteric'.
    'fool'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Giro 2018: Fro the birthplace of Christianity to the heart of the Holy Roman Empire, via 21 stages and maybe a few centuries.
    It's been a fabulous GT.
    It's been a solid 9/10. (Nothing gets a ten). The best I can remember alongside 2005.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    It's been a fabulous GT.
    It's been a solid 9/10. (Nothing gets a ten). The best I can remember alongside 2005.
    If I was scoring it like a wine I would give it a 96 or maybe 98 point review. 96 I think.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    It's been a fabulous GT.
    If I was scoring it like a wine I would give it a 96 or maybe 98 point review. 96 I think.
    If that was me: not corked. Not horrible. Would give to guests to drink at a dinner party. But quite nice, so I would keep it in my cellar, and mainly drink on my own. Blast sharing wine.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    It's been a fabulous GT.
    If that was me: not corked. Not horrible. Would give to guests to drink at a dinner party. But quite nice, so I would keep it in my cellar, and mainly drink on my own. Blast sharing wine.
    A wine which was not corked and not horrible would be a 70 or 80 pointer!

A 96 pointer is one I'll keep in my cellar and bring out when I need the good stuff. This Giro is definitely the good stuff!

I really can't remember a more dramatic GT and some of the stages have been up there with the best 1 day races.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    It's been a fabulous GT.
    A wine which was not corked and not horrible would be a 70 or 80 pointer!

A 96 pointer is one I'll keep in my cellar and bring out when I need the good stuff. This Giro is definitely the good stuff!

I really can't remember a more dramatic GT and some of the stages have been up there with the best 1 day races.
    Agreed BobMcS: What a cracking race. Brought home to me what the three-weekers are all about: it ain’t over ‘til it’s over.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • RichN95.
    It's a stinker, isn't it. It reminds me of Barbara Cartland.
  • RichN95.
    Pinot won't start the stage. Horrible day for him, but on the bright side he's not the Liverpool goalkeeper.
  • RichN95.
    Quick Step's stage winning streak

2016 Vuelta: 4 wins
    2017 Giro: 5 wins
    2017 Tour: 5 wins
    2017 Vuelta: 6 wins
    2018 Giro: 5 wins (maybe 6)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Still no sponsor though.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pinot won't start the stage. Horrible day for him, but on the bright side he's not the Liverpool goalkeeper.

Sport over the last few days has done lasting emotional damage to us
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Anyway yeah, hoping for another Bennett win tomorrow. This race has been immense and it's definitely changed my opinion of the giro. Putting loads of really tough stages in back to back has it's merits although it helps when the biggest baller has 3 minutes to make up later on
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's a stinker, isn't it. It reminds me of Barbara Cartland.

Could this possibly be worse than the MOV Quintana effort a couple of yrs ago :wink: