Giro 2018, Stage 18: Abbiategrasso - Prato Nervoso - 196 km, *Spoilers*

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Just pony up for Eurosport and stop leeching off those of us that do.
    I wasn't going to go into it, but basically this. You can get it for three quid a month which is nothing.

The host broadcaster/organiser makes money by selling the rights, if half the audience is streaming it illegally then it's no wonder half the graphics they give us don't make sense and the tv director seems to go AWOL from time to time.

It's fair enough when there isn't a legal stream available, which does happen for some races (but less than it used to).
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    i'm not leeching off of you!
  • darkhairedlord
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I wasn't going to go into it, but basically this. You can get it for three quid a month which is nothing.

The host broadcaster/organiser makes money by selling the rights, if half the audience is streaming it illegally then it's no wonder half the graphics they give us don't make sense and the tv director seems to go AWOL from time to time.

It's fair enough when there isn't a legal stream available, which does happen for some races (but less than it used to).
    i'm watching rai2 which is free to air
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,330
    bobmcstuff wrote:

You're in Italy?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

Adverts isn't it? I'm on l'Equipe which shows right from the start of each stage but I've just got in from work so missed the excitement. I'm just trying to just how long until the start of the climb so I can go and watch some paint dry.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Free to air in Italy (and apologies if you are watching it in Italy). I bet they don't have the rights to show it in the UK.

It's licence payer funded as well so it's not entirely free to air, it would be like me watching sport on the BBC and not paying a TV licence.
  • darkhairedlord
    bobmcstuff wrote:

You're in Italy?
    No, but it's supposed to be a free market, EU and all that. If its good enough for John Lewis to advertise on firstone.tv then that's good enough for me. Unless you think a pan-european media cartel is a good thing?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    i'm not leeching off of you!
    We don't all live in the UK
  • darkhairedlord
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Free to air in Italy (and apologies if you are watching it in Italy). I bet they don't have the rights to show it in the UK.

It's licence payer funded as well so it's not entirely free to air, it would be like me watching sport on the BBC and not paying a TV licence.
    Sport? on the BBC?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

You're in Italy?
    No, but it's supposed to be a free market, EU and all that. If its good enough for John Lewis to advertise on firstone.tv then that's good enough for me. Unless you think a pan-european media cartel is a good thing?

Half of its funding comes from a licence fee, so I assume you've been paying that?

It is clearly illegal, stop pretending it isn't.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Sport? on the BBC?

You've missed the point.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,871
    edited May 2018
    bobmcstuff wrote:

No it ain't. Their Giro coverage is ppv. At least it's encrypted on my tv.

I pay for UK Eurosport, but leech off everybody else. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,972
    I pay to watch Eurosport via virgin media and i'm not feeling moral outrage from someone watching a free feed in Hebrew truth be told.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    davidof wrote:

Adverts isn't it? I'm on l'Equipe which shows right from the start of each stage but I've just got in from work so missed the excitement. I'm just trying to just how long until the start of the climb so I can go and watch some paint dry.

30k to go, but the break is at nearly 15 mins so there will be a while until the peloton hits the climb after the break gets there.
  • bobmcstuff
    I pay to watch Eurosport via virgin media and i'm not feeling moral outrage from someone watching a free feed in Hebrew truth be told.

It's towards the bottom of the list of things I can muster up any feelings about, but it's been a pretty slow stage so far!
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2018
    bobmcstuff wrote:

It's towards the bottom of the list of things I can muster up any feelings about, but it's been a pretty slow stage so far!

that israeli feed is better vid quality than the virgin online app too!

Screen_Shot_2018_05_24_at_15_12_26.png
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    If we're going to get into the moral argument for paying for Eurosport we need to clear one thing up.

Will that extra cash go into funding Kirby, or will it be used to pay for an upgrade?
  • darkhairedlord
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

You're in Italy?

Half of its funding comes from a licence fee, so I assume you've been paying that?

It is clearly illegal, stop pretending it isn't.
    illegal activity funded by john lewis and bookings.com
    your eurosport is almost certainly part of an illegal media cartel, but each to their own...
  • blazing_saddles
    Tom droning on. Talks like he rides.
  • blazing_saddles
    If we're going to get into the moral argument for paying for Eurosport we need to clear one thing up.

Will that extra cash go into funding Kirby, or will it be used to pay for an upgrade?

Kirby is the strongest argument for not coughing up cash to Eurosport that there is.
    They should be paying us.
  • mididoctors

Kirby is the strongest argument for not coughing up cash to Eurosport that there is.

:D well said sir
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Apologies for using the wrong verb: I've just realised that Kirby isn't funded, but perpetrated.
  • mididoctors
    viviani going for a lighter bike?>
  • mididoctors
    that is one tired peloton
  • bobmcstuff

That's a pretty convincing argument. I assume the only reason they use him is that he is cheap!
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Strange that MS have 6 riders on the front yet Yatesy is not amongst them.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    bobmcstuff wrote:

30k to go, but the break is at nearly 15 mins so there will be a while until the peloton hits the climb after the break gets there.

Thanks Bob, I've decided to wait as I find it quite relaxing.

Yates and Froome having a bit of a laugh about something. Did Yates stop for a piss?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • blazing_saddles
    Kirby's mountain goat has attacked on the flat.
  • mididoctors
    2 races in one stage...its good tele.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    hypster wrote:
    Strange that MS have 6 riders on the front yet Yatesy is not amongst them.

Back there now, he must have gone back for some water bottles for the lads doing all the work. :D