Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Severe neck pain from the get go

Jerry185Jerry185 Posts: 143
Right, annoyed now.
Brief story; 58 years old, 72 kilos, 1.65m tall but long back and have always walked with a stoop. Very fit; running, hockey and gym but took up serious biking three years ago.
Several bike tours and sportives later, my neck went into spasm 60 miles into 90m race (Applecross btw) late 2017. Basically, couldn't look up, which made downhills treacherous.
Break over winter then some short rides (10-30 miles) early months found the same problem.
Been to physio/chiro/acupuncture for two months with no riding. Really loosened my neck out and was given the go for a short ride.
Straightaway, intense pain (where neck muscles meet bottom of skull) then was able to look at pedals (safely) on quiet road uphill. After that, struggled the four miles back home.
It's now worse than ever.
Any thoughts anyone please?

Posts

  • wongataawongataa Posts: 883
    I would be thinking about a bike fit with someone who has physio experience to see what sort of position you need to be in to keep the neck happy.
  • Avoid Chiro and Acupuncture for starters, both are quackery. Get booked in with a proper sports physiotherapist and a good bike fit.
  • Jerry185Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Appreciate the responses. However, this isn't an attritional pain after an hour or so, it's like being saddle sore at the end of the drive.
  • webboowebboo Posts: 2,684
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Appreciate the responses. However, this isn't an attritional pain after an hour or so, it's like being saddle sore at the end of the drive.
    I would pushing my GP to send me to see an Orthopaedic consultant or someone who could get it scanned pretty quick.
  • webboo wrote:
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Appreciate the responses. However, this isn't an attritional pain after an hour or so, it's like being saddle sore at the end of the drive.
    I would pushing my GP to send me to see an Orthopaedic consultant or someone who could get it scanned pretty quick.
    Yeah, if it's literally within a few feet of riding then I'd say you're beyond internet advice and into the realms of needing trained medical professionals.
  • imafatmanimafatman Posts: 351
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Straightaway, intense pain (where neck muscles meet bottom of skull) then was able to look at pedals (safely) on quiet road uphill. After that, struggled the four miles back home.
    It's now worse than ever.
    Any thoughts anyone please?

    I would say if you are getting immediate intense pain after that many weeks rest and recuperation that you need to see a doctor and not just your GP, you should be referred to a specialist.
  • I really hope you're not even trying to use a road bike with neck issues...
Sign In or Register to comment.