Rider Down!

2»

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    TGOTB wrote:
    TGOTB's golden rule for not getting squashed: Never allow yourself to be alongside a moving vehicle unless:
    (a) you're overtaking it, and there's plenty of space
    (b) it's overtaking you, and therefore knows you're there
    (c) it's another cyclist who knows you're there, and whom you know well enough to trust (ie you're on a club run, chatting to a mate etc)
    (d) you're racing, in which case the only vehicles around are cyclists, you can touch their a*se without being inappropriate, and you're accepting the increased risk of collision

Wise words.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    This kind of shit happens all the time in London. I'll be on the corner of a bus waiting for a space to overtake and some pleb will come along the outside and narrowly miss me because he's in a hurry to get past. Fortunately I'm not a "nodder" and have enough awareness to see them coming and avoid it however this guy clearly isn't and this is the end result.

Sorry feller, expensive lesson, don't shoot through gaps so narrow.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    He's wearing white Air Max. An accident waiting to happen.

Chin up though and I hope you heal quick!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I would have stayed back till past the bus then seen what the road and traffic was like before passing Nodder, your fault.

Car is showing as taxed, insured and MOT'd.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    I would say 60/40 against you. To be fair, you were mostly guilty of not realising that he was oblivious to his surroundings, for whatever reason, and probably wouldn't notice someone overtaking.

Even in the much lighter traffic conditions (and generally slower competition) I ring my bell at anything I am about to overtake, if they don't seem to have heard then either give it another ring or wait for a decent stretch (with as sarcastic a "thank you" as possible!). However I also have the benefit of much quieter conditions...you would need a pretty big bell in London to actually be heard!