What to eat the morning of a big ride?

2»

Comments

• alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    I’m shortly going to be doing a 5 to 6 hour ride and I’ll be leaving the cheap hotel very early in the morning, well before any sort of food will be available.

I won’t have access to cooking facilities thus porridge is a non-starter. I know you can get porridge pots that you just add boiling water to but I don’t like their taste. I’ll take a cool bag with me so I’m currently planning to take few Muller rice pots.

You guys must have some far better suggestions though.

Weetabix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Jt9BL2XAo

Seems to be working OK for Yates at the Giro.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Doesn't like oats, doesn't eat eggs or banana. What's wrong with you man?

Otherwise some Protein weetabix, skimmed milk, sugar and then some peanut butter and toast to finish off would be my suggestion.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Breakfast is only half the story - you want to be munching biscuits or whatever on the ride - don't over do it - but you absolutely do not want to get hungry on the ride . - its not so easy to top up once you have gotten hungry
    I make a note of the time I set off - and make sure I am taking on some food every hour.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    kingrollo wrote:
    you want to be munching biscuits or whatever on the ride -

biscuits?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Imposter wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    you want to be munching biscuits or whatever on the ride -

biscuits?

Jaffa Cakes :D I rarely do breakfast normally, never wake up early enough for a start, and I really dont much like porridge, I think I got put off by Ready Brek when I was young kid.

but the stuff seems to work so I just put up with it feeling like its eating mush drained of all taste,maybe I should try weetabix as Ive always liked those more. but pop two bananas in your back pocket, jaffa cakes are awesomely good too and you are good to go.

I know some people say it doesnt matter that much, but I do think a decent meal of carbs, the night before helps too to keep your energy levels up, as much as what you eat on the morning of the ride.