Giro - Team Line Ups

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Trying to get a bit of perspective into this Giro lark, so here are a few other Giro team pics

Db3l9NvXcAEtEpQ.jpg

DcCQRwlUwAEGQ7W.jpg

DbylqguW0AE7ZWa.jpg

DbjWlhiXcAAOv4y.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,589
    Bahrain all in for pozzivivo and Astana for Miguel Angel Lopez?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I've just realised i've got the final 2 weeks of the Giro off on holiday in Holland and a pregnant wife who won't be able to walk around for hours like we normally do.

Bring ooooon the Giro.
    I'll be off as well (for different reasons) - probably for the rest of the summer.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,589
    All well?
  • RichN95.
    All well?
    Career change - not entirely voluntary, but I could really do with a change.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Bahrain all in for pozzivivo
    On cracking form!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    Bahrain all in for pozzivivo and Astana for Miguel Angel Lopez?

Both line ups contain some great stage hunters, with the likes of Sanchez, Lutsenko, Mohoric and Visconti.
    I suppose, at a pinch, Astana have some optimism for a lower GC placing with Hirt or Bilbao.
    Villella is capable too.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    DbjWlhiXcAAOv4y.jpg
    Am I the only one that is irritated that they're all facing in different directions?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Tashman wrote:
    DbjWlhiXcAAOv4y.jpg
    Am I the only one that is irritated that they're all facing in different directions?

It's symbolic of the team's policy of looking the other way.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    RichN95 wrote:
    All well?
    Career change - not entirely voluntary, but I could really do with a change.

Come be a Winter Transfer driver/Summer Barista with me!
    It's symbolic of the team's policy of looking the other way.

:lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    RichN95 wrote:
    The Zoncolan stage clashes with the Royal Wedding. There will be fights in some households.

not mine
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    I thought I heard a rumour that Marc Soler would be riding for Movistar. I take it that it’s now a dead one as he’s not on any start list....
  • RichN95.
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I thought I heard a rumour that Marc Soler would be riding for Movistar. I take it that it’s now a dead one as he’s not on any start list....
    Correct. A low key team from Movistar. A bloke from fat camp, someone's brother, a couple of kids and four Movistar customers who won a competition.

DbztwbEU0AAicsE.jpg
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Correct. A low key team from Movistar. A bloke from fat camp, someone's brother, a couple of kids and four Movistar customers who won a competition.

DbztwbEU0AAicsE.jpg

That Moviestar kit looks weird when you just see it from chest up.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    RichN95 wrote:
    jam1e wrote:
    De La Cruz and Henao to be practically invisible throughout,
    Henao will have a specific job, which is to be the last man to put everyone in the red when Froome wants to launch an attack. He's the best guy they have for that but no-one's done it effectively since Porte.

I thought Kwiato was Froome's sacrificial mountain hero and Poels and Thomas before him. Is Henao really up for such a job?
  • RichN95.
    mamil314 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    jam1e wrote:
    De La Cruz and Henao to be practically invisible throughout,
    Henao will have a specific job, which is to be the last man to put everyone in the red when Froome wants to launch an attack. He's the best guy they have for that but no-one's done it effectively since Porte.

I thought Kwiato was Froome's sacrificial mountain hero and Poels and Thomas before him. Is Henao really up for such a job?
    Froome hasn't really done the attacks he used to when Porte was there because no-one has really been able to do his job like him. Froome's attacks would be preceded by a period of a few minutes when they would go really hard so no-one could respond. Clearly something they trained for. And it's a role which doesn't suit diesel climbers who are better suited to the defending roles.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2018
    edit. Flipping no delete.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

DbztwbEU0AAicsE.jpg

I'm guessing that Carapaz will end up de facto leader, since Betacur has been a (large) shadow of himself since he found out that eating was preferable to training.
    He's just won Vuelta Asturias which is fairly tough, if short.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

:D
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    Hot tip to win a stage - Giulio Ciccone.

He's been goign well recently, although Carlton seems to like him, so he may get afflicted like Si Clarke did
  • RichN95.
    Has anyone spotted any virtue signalling articles by journalists who can barely understand cycling tackling middle eastern politics yet?
  • blazing_saddles
    Here are some more of the best.......

DcH8dNWW4AAZNNo.jpg

1zxv6lk.png

Dbz3JkKW4AMGJTw.png

DcBd8tbW0AIe5oW.jpg

and ......er.......the ICA.

DbozRldWkAAQqUA.jpg
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I often forget just how skinny pro cyclists really are.
  • RichN95.
    phreak wrote:
    I often forget just how skinny pro cyclists really are.
    The average Giro rider this year is 1.80m tall and 67.7kg
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

DbztwbEU0AAicsE.jpg

No names, one for the real Movistar fans! Unless I've missed someone why aren't they sticking a big name in this one, rider power?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

DbztwbEU0AAicsE.jpg

No names, one for the real Movistar fans! Unless I've missed someone why aren't they sticking a big name in this one, rider power?

They're going all in for the Tour by sending all 3 leaders there instead. Definitely a good idea.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    RichN95 wrote:
    Has anyone spotted any virtue signalling articles by journalists who can barely understand cycling tackling middle eastern politics yet?
    I don’t know about the last bit, but I’m eagerly awaiting a flood of articles by journalists who can barely understand cycling tackling cycling on Cyclingnews.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    So Froome aside who wins this? A fit on form Froome takes it but he has looked vulnerable, ok not the first time but who are the contenders?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    So Froome aside who wins this? A fit on form Froome takes it but he has looked vulnerable, ok not the first time but who are the contenders?
    The Bookies Odds (from Bet365)

6/4 Froome
    15/8 Dumoulin
    5/1 Lopez
    6/1 Pinot
    9/1 Aru
    28/1 Chaves, Pozzovivo
    33/1 Yates
    66/1 Bennett, Dennis
    80/1 Wood, Formolo

Other Jerseys:
    KOM (Betway): Lopez 9/2, Visconti, Ciccone, 9/1, Nieve 11/1, Aru, Gesink 14/1, Sanchez, Atapuma, 16/1
    Points (Bet365): Viviani 4/6, Bennett 7/2, Van Poppel, 6/1, Modolo, 8/1
    Young rider (Skybet): Lopez 1/5, Oomen 9/1, Haig, 12/1, Ciccone, Carapaz 14/1

(I've had a sneaky each way bet on Froome for the points jersey at 80/1. They only let me bet a pound though)