Training Suggestions for a month off of the bike

Zrader
Zrader Posts: 4
Hey guys and gals, so here is the run down..

I’m in the military and have to attend a month long training event with no access to a gym or any training equipment.

I’ve been cycling off and on for 10 years, but back in December I got back into it pretty seriously, well, as seriously as I could.

My FTP back in December (12/17) was around 180 and now (04/26/18) I’m at around 250-260. Went from 220 lbs to 188. I’ve been doing around 100-200 miles a week recently and have 1500 on the year.

I’m looking for training suggestions regarding how I can at least sustain my FTP during the month that I am gone. Does anyone have suggestions and/or any experience with being off the bike for an extended period of time?

Thanks again!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Take your bike/turbo with you?
  • Zrader
    Imposter wrote:

Not an option. It’s a field exercise. Living out of vehicles and tents with constant movements.

That would be a sight though, having my battalion commander walk in and I’m sitting there zwifting!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'm ex Army and unless you're spending a month in the field, I assume your training exercise is residential? If residential, there must be a recreational gym or leisure centre nearby. Of course the hills phase of the Aptitude test is 3-4 weeks, but then if that was what you're doing, having no access to a gym or exercise equipment would be the last of your worries.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • imposter2.0
    Zrader wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Not an option. It’s a field exercise. Living out of vehicles and tents with constant movements.

That would be a sight though, having my battalion commander walk in and I’m sitting there zwifting!

Fair enough. Apart from running (if that's an option), I doubt if there's much else you can do tbh. If you've come from a reasonably good fitness base, then you will probably lose some top end over the month, but not a lot else...
  • Go running/jogging with a large vehicle tyre attached to your waist by rope? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Zrader
    Not sure what the Hills Aptitude is? I’m U.S. Army. Unfortunately, not near a residential area. It’s out in the field. Nothing insanely rigorous though, so I’ll be able to fit in a few workouts. No runs I’m afraid (if I am able, I definitely will!)

I was thinking something along the lines of a squat, lunge, jump rope -ish routine. Trying to figure out the best way to stimulate riding musculature with body weight exercises?
  • imposter2.0
    Zrader wrote:
    Not sure what the Hills Aptitude is? I’m U.S. Army. Unfortunately, not near a residential area. It’s out in the field. Nothing insanely rigorous though, so I’ll be able to fit in a few workouts. No runs I’m afraid (if I am able, I definitely will!)

I was thinking something along the lines of a squat, lunge, jump rope -ish routine. Trying to figure out the best way to stimulate riding musculature with body weight exercises?

Unless you can come up with a cast-iron method of replicating the aerobic effort that cycling gives you (which I don't think anyone else has yet, either), I really wouldn't worry too much. Unless you are training for a big event for which four weeks off the bike would be a really bad idea right now, then just accept you're going to be off the bike for the duration.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 440
    One thought is to work on your core strength with plank exercises and similar. I never get the opportunity always to do this as much as want to, but I know it really helps my technique and pedalling efficiency. And easy to do without any facilities.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Zrader wrote:

Hills phase of the Aptitude Test is what certain volunteers do in Hereford.

If its a field exercise then, you'll have access to jerry cans of fuel and water to do shuttle runs, lunges etc to help build and sustain strength in the legs. Climbing in and out of the back of a truck repeatedly will get the heart pumping. Hell, they manage to do exercise with the equipment lying around in Basra without difficulty.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    No stairs where you're going to be? Up and down will get your aerobic fix.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D