Is 20mph average doable?

13»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    PBlakeney wrote:
    This man speaks sense.
    It may be sense to you, but it goes against all recent studies on health, diet, obesity and links to chronic illnesses and cancers.
    Do any of these studies factor in fun, enjoyment and quality of life?
    Swapping those for an extra 5 years in a care home doesn’t appeal.

A long healthy life means not any years in a care home. Probably.
    Extending a long life pretty much guarantees it.
    Bloating up for a heart attack is one way to avoid it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    Simon E wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Eh?

Perhaps you have missed the many headlines about the strain on the NHS due to the obesity epidemic, type 2 diabetes etc etc...

Quality of life is about so much more than how much junk food you can shovel in your mouth each day.
    Yeah, but you are preaching to the wrong target. We are cyclists and presumably fitter than average. Having a few cakes or beers after a pedal won’t do much harm.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Simon E wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Eh?

Perhaps you have missed the many headlines about the strain on the NHS due to the obesity epidemic, type 2 diabetes etc etc...

Quality of life is about so much more than how much junk food you can shovel in your mouth each day.
    Yeah, but you are preaching to the wrong target. We are cyclists and presumably fitter than average. Having a few cakes or beers after a pedal won’t do much harm.
    Preaching? Eh?!? I'm confused. Oh well.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Simon E wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Simon E wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Eh?

yes, preaching. And yet we still don't know whether 20mph is doable whilst eating cake.
  • simon_e
    Simon E wrote:
    yes, preaching. And yet we still don't know whether 20mph is doable whilst eating cake.
    I'm terribly sorry, I won't bore you with any facts again.

Cake at 20mph? Probably doable but think how many crumbs will get blown away. A travesty! A sausage roll would be a good alternative, would fit nicely in a jersey pocket and easy to eat on the move. And don't forget to put beer in your bottle.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Simon E wrote:
    Simon E wrote:

Cake at 20mph? Probably doable but think how many crumbs will get blown away. A travesty! A sausage roll would be a good alternative, would fit nicely in a jersey pocket and easy to eat on the move. And don't forget to put beer in your bottle.
    did I miss some facts?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,680
    So the longer I ride the more I’ve come to the conclusion that riding lots and smashing hard as often as you can be arsed with will work best.

If in doubt, smash it harder.
  • Simon E wrote:
    Simon E wrote:

did I miss some facts?

Left under a stone at the top of Col du Galibier
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • simon_e
    did I miss some facts?
    No.

There's nothing to see here. Please move on to the next thread.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Simon E wrote:
    It's early days so there is plenty of scope for improving your average speed :)

If you only do one kind of riding your improvement will plateau presently so variety is needed. As well as intervals one good way to bring on your fitness is to do longer rides with people who are a bit stronger than you, so that you are hanging on at the end - it's surprising how much longer you can do this than when you're on your own.

On losing weight, I'll repeat these responses to previous questions re. diet:
    "Too many carbs, too much sugar, not enough veg."
    and
    "Move more, eat less, mostly vegetables." - use fresh ingredients your grandparents would've recognised.

Whats the point in being slim or fast if you have to eat loads of vegetables? YUCK! I'm sure every man wants to be the sexiest bloke alive, but not if it meant only attracting other men. I do eat some healthy stuff, but no way am I giving up the other stuff I like such as meat and beer. For me its a balance between being healthy and being alive and not regretting it.

Ha hahaha best post ive read for ages. And nothing is more satisfying that watching a scrawny curry dodger crumbling as you whistle past up hill. There arent many alps in Richmond park. POWA and looking good is where its at.

So to the OP buy a 10k team sky replica bike, rapha race gear, white shoes. Grow a hipster beard and get some tatoos.

Whatever speed youre going youll feel good. and with all that and some bannanas your speed will improve as you waft along on a wave of coolness. 20mph is an easy tgt
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    1. Is an improvement of this amount realistic? - Yes, I remember being quite pleased with a 19 minute lap back in the day, then when I got fitter I'd struggle to not go under 20 mins when lapping, probably back to being chuffed with 19 minute laps these days.
    2. Is 100-120 miles per week over 3 trips enough training to do this by September? Yes, but you'll need to mix it up with harder/steadier stuff once you have s decent base of endurance so you don't end yourself after a tough session.
    3. What impact on time will losing 13 Kilos have on my times/average speed? Considerable. It isn't flat in there! Losing weight is almost never a bad thing for a cyclist!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I lost 2kg on monday by having a dump. Does that count. I was truly full of it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Manglier wrote:
    I'd be very careful about trying to AVERAGE 20MPH around Richmond park. The speed LIMIT is 20MPH and the park authorities are pretty keen to uphold it.

Hahaha. Hahahahahaha. Hahaha.
    ^^ :D

95% of my riding is round RP these days. I go clockwise. If it's safe, I'll routinely do about 30 down Sawyers and as far along the flat as I can manage it. And about the same coming down Dark if it's dry. Always slowing down for a safe right turn at Kingston gate roundabout, natch. Only about 6 up Broomfield, sadly, latterly.

If I see Mr Plod in his Range Rover at the bottom of Sawyers, I'll ease off before I get into radar range. Never been stopped, in many hundreds of laps.

Bite me....
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Manglier wrote:
    I'd be very careful about trying to AVERAGE 20MPH around Richmond park. The speed LIMIT is 20MPH and the park authorities are pretty keen to uphold it.

95% of my riding is round RP these days. I go clockwise. If it's safe, I'll routinely do about 30 down Sawyers and as far along the flat as I can manage it. And about the same coming down Dark if it's dry. Always slowing down for a safe right turn at Kingston gate roundabout, natch. Only about 6 up Broomfield, sadly, latterly.

If I see Mr Plod in his Range Rover at the bottom of Sawyers, I'll ease off before I get into radar range. Never been stopped, in many hundreds of laps.

Bite me....

There was a bit of a’purge’ about a couple of years ago, where lots of cyclists were getting bo**o*k*d for speeding and riding on the bits with no cycling on them, but I’ve not heard many getting nicked of late.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    There arent many alps in Richmond park.
    There bloody are.

Two per lap, whichever way round you go, there's no fooling my legs and lungs.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,239
    Manglier wrote:

Bite me....

I was just as much laughing at the idea that the park authorities are doing all they can to uphold the 20mph limit generally, not just for cyclists. Ride at 20mph and you will be overtaken.
  • kingstongraham
    That said, last night I found that rare beast, a van doing the speed limit between Roehampton and Richmond gates. If you sit behind one of these to avoid the headwind when it's coming from the SW, then you can use the tailwind on the bits that don't have any traffic. This is another reason why anticlockwise is quicker. (As long as they don't stop suddenly.)
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Richmond Park - where legends ride.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    That said, last night I found that rare beast, a van doing the speed limit between Roehampton and Richmond gates. If you sit behind one of these to avoid the headwind when it's coming from the SW, then you can use the tailwind on the bits that don't have any traffic. This is another reason why anticlockwise is quicker. (As long as they don't stop suddenly.)

So, basically you draft a van and inhale the diesel fumes for the sake of increasing your average speed...
    Is it for Strava bragging rights or you are deliberately trying to fool yourself into thinking you are quick? :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Yeh, just get on a TT bike and cheat properly!

OR if you really have a complex then get a load of your mates together for a 5.30am chaingang....
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • kingstongraham

So, basically you draft a van and inhale the diesel fumes for the sake of increasing your average speed...
    Is it for Strava bragging rights or you are deliberately trying to fool yourself into thinking you are quick? :roll:

Point 1 - no, just because I didn't like riding into the headwind.

Answer to question - surely you mean fooling myself about how strong I am? How quick I cycled is just what it is, which is always dependent on weather and traffic. That's why average speed is a meaningless measure on its own.
  • ugo.santalucia

Travelling at 30 mph with no headwind has more or less the same effect as travelling at 15 mph with a 15 mph headwind... if you have a headwind and struggle, then just slow down and you won't struggle anymore.

It seems to me breathing diesel fumes so that you can keep the same speed is the wrong way to go about things.
  • kingstongraham

Travelling at 30 mph with no headwind has more or less the same effect as travelling at 15 mph with a 15 mph headwind... if you have a headwind and struggle, then just slow down and you won't struggle anymore.

It seems to me breathing diesel fumes so that you can keep the same speed is the wrong way to go about things.

I'd be interested to know the marginal difference between staying behind one vehicle vs being overtaken by multiple vehicles for a couple of minutes. Genuinely don't know. At 5:30pm in the park it isn't really a choice between fumes or no fumes.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Richmond Park - where legends ride.
    nope. not a chance of that nowadays. :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    I'd be interested to know the marginal difference between staying behind one vehicle vs being overtaken by multiple vehicles for a couple of minutes. Genuinely don't know. At 5:30pm in the park it isn't really a choice between fumes or no fumes.

Exposure to particulate and NOx gases decreases exponentially with distance, so yes, it does matter whether you draft a van or get overtaken by cars
  • simon_e
    okgo wrote:
    Yeh, just get on an e-bike and cheat properly!
    FTFY :wink:

It has the added benefit of pissing off people who are a bit precious about Strava.
  • kingstongraham

Exposure to particulate and NOx gases decreases exponentially with distance, so yes, it does matter whether you draft a van or get overtaken by cars

Roll on the electric vehicle revolution.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    okgo wrote:

Yeh

Kerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrching.

#8thrateGordonRamsay.