Turn By Turn - Strava to Wahoo

KevinA
KevinA Posts: 492
edited October 2018 in Road general
Guys

I am planning a route and want turn by turn navigation - I generally use Strava but im not sure if I sync with my wahoo from strava that I will get turn by turn navigation - is this true and if so how do I get turn by turn navigation on my Bolt?

Comments

• Select route and follow it
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    KevinA wrote:
    Guys

I am planning a route and want turn by turn navigation - I generally use Strava but im not sure if I sync with my wahoo from strava that I will get turn by turn navigation - is this true and if so how do I get turn by turn navigation on my Bolt?

Make the route in Ride with gps. Spot on with my Wahoo element everytime. Strava routes give you the route on the map but not turn by turn, I’m not sure why.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Exactly that. If you create a route in Strava, assuming your Strava account is linked to your Bolt it will automatically sync to the Bolt next time it sees a friendly WiFi network. The route will be a line on the map though, not turn-by-turn. I use this all the time and it is easy to create, sync and follow. As soon as you go off-track you get an audible and visible LED warning that you are off-track; it won’t re-route you but you can see where you are and where your route is, so easy enough to get back on-track.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I have the Bolt as well and hoped for turn by turn navigation.
    Its true that RideWithGPS does this but you have to pay - take your choice - I don't like paying.
  • You don't have to pay for ridewithgps? I use the free version with my elemnt and get turn-by-turn
  • Brakeless
    paulbnix wrote:
    I have the Bolt as well and hoped for turn by turn navigation.
    Its true that RideWithGPS does this but you have to pay - take your choice - I don't like paying.

As lightweight above says. The free version gives you turn by turn on an element so I'd assume it's the same on a bolt.
  • No idea why Strava don’t include the turn data with their export files, the software can clearly generate it.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    I prefer using the turn-by-turn free routes from Strava rather than the RWGPS ones.

Every time Ive used one from RWGPS it gives you more confusing information than if you're just following the line, like 'turn left now' at a roundabout where it's actually taking the 2nd exit, and you only work that out by checking the line on the map anyway.

However, you can get turn by turn on RWGPS for free 100% as I've done it several times, so try both and see what you prefer.

For me, Strava heatmaps is the absolute trump card in route planning software.
  • Brakeless
    cgfw201 wrote:
    I prefer using the turn-by-turn free routes from Strava rather than the RWGPS ones.

Every time Ive used one from RWGPS it gives you more confusing information than if you're just following the line, like 'turn left now' at a roundabout where it's actually taking the 2nd exit, and you only work that out by checking the line on the map anyway.

However, you can get turn by turn on RWGPS for free 100% as I've done it several times, so try both and see what you prefer.

Strava routes aren't turn by turn. If you leave your wahoo on a 'figures' screen you get no information pop up about the route or turns. You can use any planner if you're going to leave it on the map page. If you want to ride looking at speed, heart rate, cadence etc and still get turn info you need to plan with something other than strava.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    You don't have to pay for ridewithgps? I use the free version with my elemnt and get turn-by-turn

Thanks for pointing that out. I had only looked at the Ride With GPS sign in page and thought turn by turn was only available if you paid.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Brakeless wrote:
    cgfw201 wrote:

Strava routes aren't turn by turn. If you leave your wahoo on a 'figures' screen you get no information pop up about the route or turns. You can use any planner if you're going to leave it on the map page. If you want to ride looking at speed, heart rate, cadence etc and still get turn info you need to plan with something other than strava.

I know, just saying I prefer Strava route planning tool to RWGPS, and don't like the turn by turn info which can be more confusing than helpful in my experience.
  • I usually plot the route in Strava, export it, then import it to RWGPS which syncs it to my Bolt complete with turn-by-turn directions from the stats screen.

It's a bit of a faff, but it works.
  • I usually plot the route in Strava, export it, then import it to RWGPS which syncs it to my Bolt complete with turn-by-turn directions from the stats screen.

Does this work? I always thought you had to build the route from scratch with RWGPS to create the cue sheet (turn-by-turn instructions). The test route I've just imported from Strava hasn't built a cue sheet and I can't test it out for a day or two to see if it actually has the turn-by-turn instructions..

Having read your post I found this link https://ridewithgps.com/help/wahoo-elemnt#authorize-rwgps which other may find useful.

Following the instructions on that link I learnt a few things, particularly how to ensure all my routes are synced to the head unit before I leave the house to drive to the start of a sportive where I might not have a phone signal. Whilst I've always turned the unit on at home I'll never seen it actually confirm it had fully synced the routes. I also learnt how to pin my favorite routes for quick access.
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    I tried something similar with Komoot. I'm not sure but it seems to export/import the waypoints (only) from Strava. The Komoot software chose a slightly different route to link up the way-points, so over the full distance the route was quite different to others who were using the Strava route on a Garmin.

Does this work? I always thought you had to build the route from scratch with RWGPS to create the cue sheet (turn-by-turn instructions). The test route I've just imported from Strava hasn't built a cue sheet and I can't test it out for a day or two to see if it actually has the turn-by-turn instructions..

Having read your post I found this link https://ridewithgps.com/help/wahoo-elemnt#authorize-rwgps which other may find useful.

Following the instructions on that link I learnt a few things, particularly how to ensure all my routes are synced to the head unit before I leave the house to drive to the start of a sportive where I might not have a phone signal. Whilst I've always turned the unit on at home I'll never seen it actually confirm it had fully synced the routes. I also learnt how to pin my favorite routes for quick access.

Did it work? I’ve just bought a Bolt and now looking for the best way to get TbT from strava. Having just plotted a 200 miles route on strava I’m a bit annoyed I hadn’t spotted this was an issue!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    No, you need a free Ride with gps account for turn by turn or a Komoot account.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:

What a pain. Hoping Strava will sort that out soon. But if I go off route (according to figbat above) there will be a beep/flash to tell me I've gone off route? That is something useful I suppose if I'm going along not realising there's a turn on the route?

Edit: Also can't get Ride with GPS to pick up my local bike path no matter what map I select and despite selecting the Bike Paths option. Frustrating. Edit: Seems to be just that path that doesn't work as seems to work fine on another bike path I tried.
  • If I am following a route on my Bolt I get a beep and the lights flash red when I leave the route. This is repeated 3 times.

There is a similar beep and blue flashing lights when you rejoin the route.

It seems to be pretty reliable and only triggers in error occasionally.

As you can configure the leds and sounds on the Bolt you may not experience the above. I think mine is on the default led setting and I turned off the pause/resume sound.
  • Also can't get Ride with GPS to pick up my local bike path no matter what map I select and despite selecting the Bike Paths option. Frustrating. Edit: Seems to be just that path that doesn't work as seems to work fine on another bike path I tried.

If I recall correctly, RWGPS has a tick box option at side of the screen to ‘follow roads’ when creating a route. This option allows you to put two waypoints miles apart and it follows the road rather than just linking the waypoints directly. Untick this when you reach the bike path that is causing the issue and plot away. Once you’ve passed the bike path you can re-tick the box.

By doing this you can plot a route across the English Channel Lol.
  • Anyone reading this post should watch this https://youtu.be/ccDMxcW1BuM
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:

What a pain. Hoping Strava will sort that out soon. But if I go off route (according to figbat above) there will be a beep/flash to tell me I've gone off route? That is something useful I suppose if I'm going along not realising there's a turn on the route?

Edit: Also can't get Ride with GPS to pick up my local bike path no matter what map I select and despite selecting the Bike Paths option. Frustrating. Edit: Seems to be just that path that doesn't work as seems to work fine on another bike path I tried.

Personally, I find RIde with gps far better than Strava for route planing and more accurate with elevation profiles. Strava is also merely a means to upload ride result details to the Training Peaks or new TrainerRoad calendar for me for analysis and comparison. The problem with locating your cycle track has already been explained I see.
  • Thanks all. Yes I plotted the bike path manually and that worked out ok. Did a long ride today and as it happens I’m not even sure I need TbT! It’s easy enough to glance down to the map and not sure I even read any of the directions as they popped up. I think the warning beep that you’ve left the route is good enough to catch me if I make a mistake. It sounded a couple of times today eg as we flew past a junction on a descent but having the map allowed us to just take the next turning to rejoin the route. A good ride with the Bolt although have to check the beep settings as it got a bit noisy now and again when junctions were close together. Only problem is the front bracket doesn’t quite fit around my bars so I’ve got a cable tie holding it together. Will have to look at something with a bigger clamp.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    Sounds like Strava are exporting the wrong file type, bit like the difference between exporting a .tcx file (which gives TbT) and a .gpx file (which doesn't give TbT) to a Garmin.
  • I’ve just ordered a bolt and now worried it won’t really do what I’m hoping for.
    I wanted the turn by turn navigation.
    Couple of qs if I do a ride and save it on my wahoo as a route will it then give t by t when I use it?
    Or if I have a Garmin route and import to ride with gps then sync with bolt does that give t by t?

Or is the only way to get t by t is it just to create route in ride with gps or create point on ride with gps?

Haven’t even got my bolt but already feel disappointed “
  • StillGoing
    Rock bus wrote:
    I’ve just ordered a bolt and now worried it won’t really do what I’m hoping for.
    Couple of qs if I do a ride and save it on my wahoo as a route will it then give t by t when I use it?
    Or if I have a Garmin route and import to ride with gps then sync with bolt does that give t by t?

Or is the only way to get t by t is it just to create route in ride with gps or create point on ride with gps?

Haven’t even got my bolt but already feel disappointed

Why?

Turn by turn will only work if you create the route in Ride with gps or Komoot until such time as Strava pull their finger out. Copying a route to Ride with gps that doesn't contain the information the Wahoo needs and then exporting it to the Wahoo won't solve the problem. Ride with gps is free unless you want the Premium edition, but you don't need that to create routes. Once created, just export to the device and it'll be listed as a route ready to use.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    [url][/url]
    Rock bus wrote:
    I’ve just ordered a bolt and now worried it won’t really do what I’m hoping for.

Haven’t even got my bolt but already feel disappointed “

I shouldn't worry, my posts above are somewhat of a timeline of experience with it. I've only used it for one long ride and an unrouted ride around the block. I'm very happy with it after having been concerned initially. I have pretty much decided that I'll just use the map and rely on the beep to tell me if I've gone wrong. I found that glancing down at the map was enough for me but whatever you decide, it's not too much of a problem to do your mapping in RWGPS if you do want TbT. I think I'm right in saying that's the only way to get the cue sheet built and importing from anywhere else won't build a cue sheet.
  • The Lezyne GPS computers are just as picky, if you want to plot a whole route with TBT prompts. Lezyne's own route planner on PC does the job, but it often comes up with crazy ways of linking the waypoints once you ask it to make a route!

I've not tried it in a while, but they did have a decent looking route planner on their mobile app, where it makes the route one point at a time. If there are options of how to reach the point you just added, it will show you what it considers viable options and let you choose which one.

Lezyne seems far better at simply dealing with "get me from here to this place" with automatic re-routing active, which requires the GPS to be paired up to the mobile and use a little bit of mobile data.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    I've found what most others have, if you want TBT you need to create the route from scratch using RWGPS - free account is fine.
    It is a bit frustrating that using maps from other sources such as https://cycle.travel will offer to create turn information but wahoo ignores it, so you have to create the route again from scratch.
    Otherwise you have to leave your wahoo on the map screen to see where to go next, but then you're limited on showing data.

There is a workaround if you're willing to pay for it, from RWGPS:
    Do you have a route without a cuesheet? Perhaps you uploaded a route file sent to you by a friend, or you downloaded a GPX file of a route from another website, and now you have a route, but no cuesheet. This article will teach you how to use the Trace tool, available to Premium subscribers, to create a cuesheet for a route that does not have one.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Did a route with ride with GPS at the weekend - first time trying a route with the wahoo though I've done plenty on a garmin in the past. First half of the ride it just plotted a straight line (luckily the route was almost straight anyway so zooming out meant I could use it to gauge direction) and the second half was on route but no turn by turn.

Will try again.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • StillGoing
    Did a route with ride with GPS at the weekend - first time trying a route with the wahoo though I've done plenty on a garmin in the past. First half of the ride it just plotted a straight line (luckily the route was almost straight anyway so zooming out meant I could use it to gauge direction) and the second half was on route but no turn by turn.

Will try again.

Check the settings on Ride with gps. Once you have created the route, send it to your device or phone. If you haven't done it at the time before riding, switch the device on and go to the menu page (one press of the L side button) and sync. That will upload all your routes and updates. When done, go to the map page and select route. Pick the route you want from the list and start route. If the settings were right in Ride with gps, all should work fine.