Tour of Watopia

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    edited April 2018
    Ah that's why you guys are a fair bit quicker than I am.

FTP 244w and weight is currently 71/72kg.

I think my FTP is actually higher, I need to do another FTP test
  • Should have added. Weight 73kg at present.
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    So for those who are pushing similar times, we're all similar weights, and all just demonstrating a scale of FTP between 244 and 286. I know there are plenty of online racers out there who will get their knickers in a twist over KOM's and segment times, I see it as a fun training tool which will enhance my abilities out on the road. I've never trained so hard on a turbo until I was chasing folk up the road and buying a smart trainer this winter turned out to be one of the smartest moves i've made in a while!

This is a good experiment however, and i'm interested to see how far apart we all are come the end of it. Its a shame we didnt have a couple of heavier more powerful riders so we could see how the all out power should triumph on flatter stages.
  • rob13
    stage 4 was 43:17 for me. Average just under FTP, at 258w, Np just above it at 269w. Definitely hit a plateau in my FTP improvements at present. Want to push on to around 280w but can't seem to find anything in the legs for that push.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,751
    Rob13 wrote:
    stage 4 was 43:17 for me. Average just under FTP, at 258w, Np just above it at 269w. Definitely hit a plateau in my FTP improvements at present. Want to push on to around 280w but can't seem to find anything in the legs for that push.

That sounds like a good time to me. Hoping to hop on tonight at 6pm after a commuting warmup again.
  • Stage 1: 1:11:41 @ 252w 3.8 w/kg
    Stage 2: 43:20 @ 269 3.7w/kg
    Stage 3: 1:17:57 @ 3.6w/kg
    Stage 4: 43:51 @ 3.7w/kg
    Stage 5:
    Stage 6:
    Stage 7:
    Total: 3hr56m38
  • dannbodge
    Stage 1: 1:11:41 @ 252w 3.8 w/kg
    Stage 5:
    Stage 6:
    Stage 7:

Did you do the 8pm one?

I think I might have seen you at the start.
  • dannbodge
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Yep.
    Did Stage 1 last night. Although it's a "group ride" it felt like a race with the pace and way some people were pulling up the hills.

Planning on doing the second stage tonight.
    I'm more annoyed at the start times. I'd ideally like to start around 7 rather than 8pm.

Stage 1: 1h13m50 @ 221w avg (3.1w/kg)
    Stage 2: 46m25 @ 240w avg (3.4w/kg)
    Stage 3: 1h26m45 @ 223w avg (3.1w/kg)
    Stage 4: 42m44 @ 256w avg (3.4w/kg)
    Stage 5:
    Stage 6:
    Stage 7:
    Total Time: 4h09m44s @ 235w (3.26w/kg)

I went hard tonight. Sprinted off at the start and stayed in the top 30 for the first 6 miles.
    Finished 62nd with a small 600w sprint at the end.

Got a new FTP too - 249w
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    Stage 1: 1:11:41 @ 252w 3.8 w/kg
    Stage 5:
    Stage 6:
    Stage 7:

Did you do the 8pm one?

I think I might have seen you at the start.

Aye. Was on the 8pm one. Just made it again after my commute home. Another cannof Coke, another pair or dry shoes and off I went. T Scotland on zwift. Started hard hen steadied out for the pace. Knackered now!!
  • Morning All.

It's a close call between us. Not much in it after 4 stages and 4hrs of riding.

From what I can see after 4 stages here are the results of those who have posted so far:

1 - Scotlandtim: 03:56:38
    2 - Rob13: 03:59:06
    3 - Dannbodge: 04:09:44

Results still awaited from Kingston Graham & sh3p

Nice to have a bit of a BR competition going. A virtual pint for the winner eh!
  • rob13
    I'm enjoying this little sub-comp, definitely making me work hard!

Stage 5 is a longer one, more climbing too before 6 is a flatter run before the final big one. I'm hoping to do stage 5 tomorrow night at 8pm although it will depend on whether I get home in time. I've heard the weekend weather is looking good so don't want to be turning the pedals in a hot garage!
  • kingstongraham
    Bit annoyed with myself. My zwift refused to connect last night, so I did the 8am one this morning before riding to work.

VERY different doing this with 180 participants rather than 1100. I was with the lead group of about 20 riders until about halfway, then attention wavered or something, I got dropped and once a group has gone, there is no getting it back. Looked at the dashboard, and the next rider back was over a kilometre behind! Basically the second half was solo which wouldn't have happened in a larger event. Checked the results and the group I was in finished about 2 minutes ahead of me...

Average power 278w which is exactly FTP, but best 20 minutes power 293w which was the first half. Shows what a difference trying to stay with a group does for my motivation. Or that I overdid it at the start to get in that group.
  • Bad luck Graham - Still an excellent time you posted as a solo effort - would have been even better had you not had to do it solo. Your consolation is that you hold onto the lead by an increased margin! Well done!

1 - KingstonGraham: 3h55m03
    2 - Scotlandtim: 03:56:38

It's all to play for going into round 5.

I plan on riding the 2000 event tomorrow evening too (Friday) See you there rob, anyone else in for this one? I'll post a greeting from the starting pen, something along the line of "Hi to all BR racers in the pen tonight" and we can make ourselves known to each other there - add to the competition! My Zwift name - T Scotland.
  • rob13
    Bit annoyed with myself. My zwift refused to connect last night, so I did the 8am one this morning before riding to work.

VERY different doing this with 180 participants rather than 1100. I was with the lead group of about 20 riders until about halfway, then attention wavered or something, I got dropped and once a group has gone, there is no getting it back. Looked at the dashboard, and the next rider back was over a kilometre behind! Basically the second half was solo which wouldn't have happened in a larger event. Checked the results and the group I was in finished about 2 minutes ahead of me...

Average power 278w which is exactly FTP, but best 20 minutes power 293w which was the first half. Shows what a difference trying to stay with a group does for my motivation. Or that I overdid it at the start to get in that group.

Yeah, on mine I had 580 odd to contend with. I managed to get into the top 10 at the very start, and I tried to keep with them but they opened up a gap on some rollers and after that they were gone. Once theyre about 3 secs ahead in a group, its virtually impossible to catch them on the flat. Rather than slow down to let the next group catch, I held my pace and was swept up by a bigger blob behind anyway. I was determined to stay within the top 60, top 10% is always my aim and ended up in about 57-58th. I was in the same group all the way until about the last 3km when a couple went off the front (they may have came from behind) so I went with them thinking i'd get a decent enough gap. We pulled about 5 or 6 seconds on the group but running in they dropped me so I was then caught by my group with about 600 to go. To avoid dropping too many places, I went as hard as I could about 900m out which was a painful experience! Didnt have a sprint in the legs at the end anyway after gassing so hard around the course.
  • kingstongraham
    So stage 5 has one big climb for about 11km after about 10km, then a kick of about 3km after about 37km. Think it's one to give it a blast to start with for the first 2km then just roll with the group till the start of each climb.
  • So stage 5 has one big climb for about 11km after about 10km, then a kick of about 3km after about 37km. Think it's one to give it a blast to start with for the first 2km then just roll with the group till the start of each climb.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm no good on the flats, its the hills where i make my ground up. Stick with a decent group on the flat then push hard through the hills.

Looking forward to it.

There's a chance I'm going to end up in the pub tomorrow night, so may have to postpone until sat. Time will tell!!
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    edited April 2018
    Righty guys have taken a look but can't seem to be able to check the times any further back than stage 3, any idea how to get them other than strava ( but i tend to ride along some more to round up) .
    So i will see if i can do them again at the end as i believe they are available .also got my hrm to connect to the pc at last..lol
    As above getting in a group is paramont,
    Stage 3 was ofc climbing so no real benefit. Stage 4 I ensured i got in a group to start and hung with them till the 1st climb, then hung with the remnants,pushed myself to stay in touch and was rewarded with an ftp increase from 212-221 :)

Age 50 66kg 212ftp

Stage 1 1.33.48 175w 2.7wkg
    Stage 2 (ride round with the wife)
    1.07.15 123w 1.9wkg
    Stage 3 1.39.22 178w 2.69wkg
    Stage 4 45.15 212w 3.3wkg
    Stage 5 1.30.13 206w 3.1wkg.
  • sh3p wrote:
    Righty guys have taken a look but can't seem to be able to check the times any further back than stage 3, any idea how to get them other than strava ( but i tend to ride along some more to round up) .
    So i will see if i can do them again at the end as i believe they are available .also got my hrm to connect to the pc at last..lol
    Stage 3 was ofc climbing so no real benefit. Stage 4 I ensured i got in a group to start and hung with them till the 1st climb, then hung with the remnants,pushed myself to stay in touch and was rewarded with an ftp increase from 212-221 :)

Age 50 66kg 212ftp

Stage 1
    Stage 2
    Stage 3 139.22 178w 2.69wkg
    Stage 4 45.15 212w 3.3 wkg 157hr

Hi.

Click top right, find "profile" should have a list of all the events youve done. Click each event in turn, should take you to the official results.

Any probs - post back.

Good luck.
  • kingstongraham
    sh3p wrote:

If you look at your profile on zwiftpower.com you can see all the events that you have ridden.

Or here: https://www.zwiftpower.com/series.php?id=TOUR%20OF%20WATOPIA
  • dannbodge
    Bad luck Graham - Still an excellent time you posted as a solo effort - would have been even better had you not had to do it solo. Your consolation is that you hold onto the lead by an increased margin! Well done!

It's all to play for going into round 5.

I plan on riding the 2000 event tomorrow evening too (Friday) See you there rob, anyone else in for this one? I'll post a greeting from the starting pen, something along the line of "Hi to all BR racers in the pen tonight" and we can make ourselves known to each other there - add to the competition! My Zwift name - T Scotland.

This is what Zwift is all about imo.
    Good friendly competition to give you the motivation to continue training indoors.

I might try for the 6pm one tomorrow as I'm off in the afternoon. 8pm for a 2hr ride is too late for me.

Three sisters is my favourite circuit on Watopia. I love the volcano climb (big ring all the way up).

I just added you, my Zwift is D Bowdery
  • sh3p
    Updated thx guys :)
  • sh3p wrote:

Age 50 66kg 212ftp

Stage 1 133.48 175w 2.7wkg
    Stage 2 (ride round with the wife)
    107.15 123w 1.9wkg
    Stage 3 139.22 178w 2.69wkg
    Stage 4 45.15 212w 3.3wkg

Hi - when you put 133.48 - is that 133minutes and 48 seconds, or 1Hr, 33mins, 48 seconds?

Want to be fair to you when I add it up!

Thanks.
  • sh3p
    Lol yer just realised when totalling up myself is 1.33.48 ..have corrected/ updated the post.. wishing hadn't ridden around with the wife now...lol
  • Thanks sh3p

so with 5 of us posting results now:

3 - Rob13: 03:59:06
    4 - Dannbodge: 04:09:44
    5 - sh3p: 05:05:40
  • sh3p wrote:
    Lol yer just realised when totalling up myself is 1.33.48 ..have corrected/ updated the post.. wishing hadn't ridden around with the wife now...lol

There's a load of "catchup" rides at the end of the month, repeat the stages you aren't happy with to improve your overall time. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • sh3p
    Will certainley look into doing stage 2 again...would hope to drop somewhere close to 20mins off it..still a good way behind you guys, but would be happier to post somewhere close to the best i could do:)
  • kingstongraham
    6pm hopefully for me. G Bond (B)
  • sh3p
    Just done the 14.00 as I'm on nights atm 1.30.13 ( earlier post updated) which I'm very pleased with :) ,especially as yesterday was my 1st shift so had been up 24hrs before bed at 07.30, up at 13.30 to ride at 14.00 tbh expected to be around the 1.45 ish
  • I shall be holding off today. I have beer to drink.

2000 tomorrow ...
  • dannbodge
    I don't know if I'll be doing any more of the stages.
    The weather down here is turning good so I'll be out on the bike rather than indoors.

I might do tomorrow's but not too sure now.