Investing in a Canyon Ultimate - to disc, or not to disc?

2»

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    mamil314 wrote:
    Biggest ofdense here, however, was commited by the OP, who used term 'investing' in relation with expensive pushbike.

Not all investments are good investments...
  • HaydenM wrote:
    They stop better in all conditions and don't cause your nice carbon rims to wear out.

Nonsense

I'm with Pamplemoose here. Your 'nonsense' is nonsense. Also, discs look better so you are wrong on all fronts :wink:

Agreed and if you check his posts more often than not his opinions are just that, his opinion, and they rarely coincide with actual facts.
  • But the best Ultimate build doesn't come in a disc version!

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultim ... 0-ltd.html
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Exalith rims will give you similar stopping power to discs without the fugly asthetics and weight penalty

They won't.

I have exalith on my R-sys wheels on my Colnago and I have R8070 on my commuter.

The discs are in a different league. The exalith wheels are loud and screechy and definitely lose power on the wet while the discs are perfect in all weather with far better stopping power and no noise.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Get ready for Sloppy to throw some more ‘Sloppy facts’ at you, even though he doesn’t have any basis for them... :roll:

PP
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    cgfw201 wrote:
    I'd go disc on my next bike for sure, and currently own a rim brake Ultimate.

I ride 15-20,000km per year, and have worn out wheelsets at around one set a year for 5 years just due to the rim braking surface wearing out. That's £500 a year down the pan on average on wheels which just go in the bin, which isn't an issue if you have disc wheels.

It depends on the riding he does, if he does a lot of mountainous descends with a lot of hard breaking or rides in the rain etc. disc is a better choice.

If not and the conditions are always dry and you clean the rims/pads I am sure they last longer than 1 year.

Personally I don't think future proofing should be considered as rim brake bikes will still be sold and not going to be totally replaced for years if ever since there will still be people buying them. It wouldn't make sense to just disappear, look at older tech of bikes that still sell.

There is this thing going that it should be one or the other/which is better and that is incorrectly driven by media and what the pros are using. Get the one that suits your riding conditions.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    why are people going on about resale value? its a bicycle and a Canyon to boot.

its going to be worth bugger all in a year.

if it was a hand made Pegoretti or whateverresale may have some bearingbut absoloutely not in this case.

next thing you'll be telling him not to cut the fork steerer.......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.