Investing in a Canyon Ultimate - to disc, or not to disc?

Oshrice
Oshrice Posts: 7
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi, I've been looking for a fair weather bike to upgrade to from my existing Cube Peloton Race; which i will keep as a winter training bike. The bike will be used for weekend rides, sportives and biking holidays in the Spring, Summer & Autumn.

It's come down to the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 Di2 however, i can;t decide between caliper brakes, and disc brakes. The disc version is £600 more expensive, and 700g heavier. The 0% on purchases credit card can swallow the additional cost, but i worry that the extra weight will make the bike less punchy accelerating, and on climbs. Has anyone found this with discs?

The caliper version has the latest Ultegra brakes, with Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon Exalith wheels which, when i tested it out last weekend, worked significantly better than my existing 105 brakes.

Based on the fact I won't be riding the bike over the winter and am keen to keep the weight down, does it make any sense to shell out for disc brakes at this point; or should I go with calipers and look to switch to disc when the cost / weight comes down in a few years time?

Caliper version 7.1KG https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2018/ultimate-cf-slx-8-0-di2.html

Disc version 7.8KG https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2018/ultimate-cf-slx-disc-8-0-di2.html

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have a SRAM version of the Ultimate and there is plenty of stopping power, get the calliper version and save yourself a few quid then spend it on some more kit. Personally don’t see the point of disc brakes on road bikes but many others will disagree.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    In an equal world I would have the disc version because I much prefer them but to be honest, I'd be tempted to save the cash especially seeing as weight is higher on your list.

In answer to your question about climbing/punchiness, I have noticed no real ill effects but then neither of the bikes I have spent a lot of time on were especially light in the first place. Both should feel pretty light and spritely in the grand scheme of things depending on what you are used to
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You will not notice 700g.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • DMHR2018
    DMHR2018 Posts: 44
    I think the wheelset on the disc version is better. Full carbon pros rather than the carbon maxtal mix. The reduction of that rotational weight might actually make it feel more lively on the hills despite the extra 700g? Or so I've been told
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    If you dont plan to ride on the wet go on rim brakes, but have in mind that all the manufacturers are moving on the disc brakes and in my opinion is the future, so will hold the value better. 700gr more its not a reason to not buy it. Price is.
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    YiannisM wrote:
    If you dont plan to ride on the wet go on rim brakes, but have in mind that all the manufacturers are moving on the disc brakes and in my opinion is the future, so will hold the value better. 700gr more its not a reason to not buy it. Price is.

Here in the US canyon is offering discs bike cheaper than rims. I think they are trying to push for more people to be on discs. I paid more and got rim anyways. Canyon uses direct mount brakes and they are really powerful, although modulation isn't the best.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    oh yes you will
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    YiannisM wrote:

You've contradicted yourself there a little. You state that you believe the disc version will hold it's value better then state the price differance is a reason not to buy it. Surely if it's going to hold it's value better then the higher price is less relevant?
  • Exalith rims will give you similar stopping power to discs without the fugly asthetics and weight penalty
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    If you want to look like a Pro in the peloton then get the rim brake version. Pros don't ride discs.

If you want to look like a rider who’s convinced themselves that discs are the must have, life saving, watt making thing then get the other one.

(What Sloppy said – Exalith is the business, just as good as disc brakes but without all the faff and makes your bike a lot lighter)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pros don't ride discs.

ummm...
  • thegreatdivide
    Imposter wrote:
    Pros don't ride discs.

ummm...

Do you follow cycling? And don't quote Aqua Blue - they don't count.
  • I was having the same quandary as yourself and opted to go for rim brakes. No regrets. The Exalith surface gives tremendous stopping power, nearly went over the bar on my first big downhill. Even in the wet there is no difference and definitely no need for disc brakes which for me have their own problems when bleeding them. Other than making your own decision regarding the brakes I don't think you'll find any fault with the bike, I absolutely love it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    Pros don't ride discs.

ummm...

Do you follow cycling? And don't quote Aqua Blue - they don't count.

Do you follow cycling? Your statement that 'pros don't ride discs' is categorically wrong. That's all I'm saying.
  • I've just bought the disc version of the Bianchi Oltre XR3. I could have bought a rim brake model last year but have waited all this time for disc brakes. Discs are just better in my opinion. I came to road cycling from the mtb world and was shocked at just how crap road callipers were in comparison to hydraulic discs. They stop better in all conditions and don't cause your nice carbon rims to wear out. For a few 100g of weight penalty I certainly know which I prefer...
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    I've just bought the disc version of the Bianchi Oltre XR3. I could have bought a rim brake model last year but have waited all this time for disc brakes. Discs are just better in my opinion. I came to road cycling from the mtb world and was shocked at just how crap road callipers were in comparison to hydraulic discs. They stop better in all conditions and don't cause your nice carbon rims to wear out. For a few 100g of weight penalty I certainly know which I prefer...

Carbon braking surface already last a lot longer than alloy braking surface, I'm more concerned about crashing then in a race rather than the braking surface wear out.

I'd rather save the pound and half of weight to feel lighter, give me the acceleration when I need it in a sprint
  • They stop better in all conditions and don't cause your nice carbon rims to wear out.

Nonsense
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • yiannism
    dstev55 wrote:
    YiannisM wrote:

You've contradicted yourself there a little. You state that you believe the disc version will hold it's value better then state the price differance is a reason not to buy it. Surely if it's going to hold it's value better then the higher price is less relevant?

Actually i am not. For a bike that i dont plan to sale it soon the resale value is irrelevant, buy the best for your needs, especially if you live on a dry place like me disc brakes are not essential. But if you are a person that likes to change his bikes often, then the resale value its a factor.
  • yiannism
    oh yes you will

Drink 2 beer less. Problem solved.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    YiannisM wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    YiannisM wrote:

Actually i am not. For a bike that i dont plan to sale it soon the resale value is irrelevant, buy the best for your needs, especially if you live on a dry place like me disc brakes are not essential. But if you are a person that likes to change his bikes often, then the resale value its a factor.

But that's not what you said :lol:
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Exalith rims will give you similar stopping power to discs without the fugly asthetics and weight penalty

Schlopster, you posts are, usually, witty and admirable, but, once in a while, you do slip up. Rim brakes are like jaws from hell and stuff of nightmares. Away with you!

Biggest ofdense here, however, was commited by the OP, who used term 'investing' in relation with expensive pushbike.
  • yiannism
    dstev55 wrote:
    YiannisM wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    YiannisM wrote:

But that's not what you said :lol:

Again, given his needs, my advice was to buy the rim brake version assuming that its cheaper, but i gave an other factor that he should consider, the resale value. Both statements stand from financial point on the right context that i explained on my reply.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Thegreatdivide,sorry but you are wrong about Pro’s and discs. A lot of team Trek bikes are disc this year
    https://racing.trekbikes.com/sport/equi ... eam-bikes/
    In the tour of Dubai the Quickstep team had a mixture of rim and disc bikes racing at the same time. So their team cars must be able to cope with servicing them both without much of a problem and that was a very dry race. I’m sure there will be some in Paris Roubaix this month.
  • Nonsense

Nonsense
  • thegreatdivide
    janwal wrote:
    Thegreatdivide,sorry but you are wrong about Pro’s and discs. A lot of team Trek bikes are disc this year
    https://racing.trekbikes.com/sport/equi ... eam-bikes/
    In the tour of Dubai the Quickstep team had a mixture of rim and disc bikes racing at the same time. So their team cars must be able to cope with servicing them both without much of a problem and that was a very dry race. I’m sure there will be some in Paris Roubaix this month.

You’ve not been watching the cycling either.
  • Anyway, back on topic. I brought a new Canyon Endurace last year and it's brilliant, as it happens it was only available at the time with rim brakes so got them. They are good, work really well with the DT Swiss wheels and Swisstop pads etc. However, given the choice now I would probably opt for disc brakes. Why? Because overall they are superior especially in the wet. Now as it happens I avoid riding when it's wet although inevitably there are times when I leave then it rains or roads are wet anyway. My bike is light and the extra weight of discs does deter me a bit but I'm no spring chicken, never going to race so really the extra 700g or whatever is ultimately irrelevant.
    So to sum up, the rim brakes are really good but given choice again I'd go for disc.
  • YiannisM wrote:
    oh yes you will

Drink 2 beer less. Problem solved.

Problems are not solved by drinking less beer.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 680
    I'd go disc on my next bike for sure, and currently own a rim brake Ultimate.

I ride 15-20,000km per year, and have worn out wheelsets at around one set a year for 5 years just due to the rim braking surface wearing out. That's £500 a year down the pan on average on wheels which just go in the bin, which isn't an issue if you have disc wheels.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    If you're asking the question on discs v rims, I'd go rims. You're concerned about the weight and about the cost, although as you yourself said, both can be overcome. But I sense it's what your heart is saying.

Personally, I'd only ever go discs. I'm a heavier rider, I've ridden discs for a couple of years and love it. As an aside, I test rode the Cerveo R3 yesterday. The shop only had a rim brake version in, although I'm set on the disc version, but for a short test ride it was fine. But I was horrified at how unresponsive the brakes were compared to what I'm used to. So for me, personally, discs all the way.

But if you're not sold on them, then go rim.

One other quick point on the never ending disc v rim debate, I was riding behind a Canyon the other day and blown away by how sleek it looked and couldn't figure out why. Then realised it was disc and so no calipers buggering up the rear of it. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder etc etc
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    They stop better in all conditions and don't cause your nice carbon rims to wear out.

Nonsense

I'm with Pamplemoose here. Your 'nonsense' is nonsense. Also, discs look better so you are wrong on all fronts :wink: