Cold weather clothing - Seeking advice

dannyjames1
dannyjames1 Posts: 44
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
I've came to the conclusion that I need to htfu and start getting out on my bike more when the temperature dips and the skies open. I've gotten tired of being lazy through winter then having to put in loads of work in spring to get back to peak fitness ready for summer... so here I am after some advice for winter clothing.

I do understand the concepts of layering, but I'm wondering what specific garments you would all recommend for rides when the temperature falls near to 0. I hear base layers are a big one, but there is a huge range on the market I'm not sure what to get. Would base layers that are not neccessarily cycling-specific (ie the thermal underwear type) do well on the bike? I can pick some snug fitting wool blend ones up at a local discount store for under £15 a pair, a good choice perhaps? or should I opt for bike specic base layers?

but as for my top layers I've heard so much different advice from instructional videos and find it hard to find a definite answer. Short jerseys and armwarmers... bibshorts, tights, long jerseys, jackets, windstoppers, gilets. What are some effective upper-layer solutions to stay warm and dry without having to faff too much that won't leave me feeling like I've gone and worn my entire cycling wardrobe? I've got a longsleeve fleeced jersey, fairly warm, but this will be useless if the heavens open, maybe I could add a base layer and basic waterproof packable kagool kind of thing?

I suffer terrible circulation too, just gone out for some neoprene overshoes too see if this helps but still need to get some gloves. Are neoprene gloves also effective?

hope someone can help me make head or tail of this a bit more so I can be a bit more prepared next winter, thanks!

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I'm sure someone will be along with a more indepth reply soon (BTR!) but my 2 pennies worth are that thermals will not do the job, as they are designed to keep you warm, but are not as breathable as running or cycling base layers - so you will get wet from the inside.
    Same goes for your fleece jersey (What make and model is it?) as by the sounds of it, that won't be very breathable? Happy to be proved wrong.

Do you feel the cold?

Personally in the depths of winter, I would (I do feel the cold) be looking at a merino winter base layer, Castelli Sorpasso bib tights, a LS thickish jersey, probably Ale, and then if it's artic, my Castelli Espresso Jacket over the top, combined with a buff and a winter hat of some kind under my helmet, perhaps even with an aero cover fitted (For non aero reasons) - oh and GOOD warm gloves, and overshoes.

It's still pretty cold out there, so last Monday I rode a 50 miler, at a fairly steady pace, and wore the above, but with a thinner jacket on top as opposed to the Espresso - I was just right in the main, unzipped the jacket for climbs, and straight back up again for the descents.

If your legs do not feel the cold as much, you can likely get away with thermal shorts, and knee\leg warmers.
    Presonal I LOVE my Sorpassos and these can sometimes (Probably in the not too distant future) be picked up at silly money, comparitively - think I got two pairs for £54 each.

Forgot to mention quality winter socks, px thicky merino ones if you are on a budget.

As for gloves, I have some fantastic bontrager ones which were £20, but my faves, and what I wore on Monday, are Giordana Nordic gloves, these appear randomly for £20 each, and I love them so much, I bought a spare pair last time they were reduced.

Ah here it is:
    https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/giordana-nordic-gloves-e771/#pid=11540
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    I'm sure someone will be along with a more indepth reply soon (BTR!) but my 2 pennies worth are that thermals will not do the job, as they are designed to keep you warm, but are not as breathable as running or cycling base layers - so you will get wet from the inside.
    Same goes for your fleece jersey (What make and model is it?) as by the sounds of it, that won't be very breathable? Happy to be proved wrong.

Do you feel the cold?

Personally in the depths of winter, I would (I do feel the cold) be looking at a merino winter base layer, Castelli Sorpasso bib tights, a LS thickish jersey, probably Ale, and then if it's artic, my Castelli Espresso Jacket over the top, combined with a buff and a winter hat of some kind under my helmet, perhaps even with an aero cover fitted (For non aero reasons) - oh and GOOD warm gloves, and overshoes.

It's still pretty cold out there, so last Monday I rode a 50 miler, at a fairly steady pace, and wore the above, but with a thinner jacket on top as opposed to the Espresso - I was just right in the main, unzipped the jacket for climbs, and straight back up again for the descents.

If your legs do not feel the cold as much, you can likely get away with thermal shorts, and knee\leg warmers.
    Presonal I LOVE my Sorpassos and these can sometimes (Probably in the not too distant future) be picked up at silly money, comparitively - think I got two pairs for £54 each.

Forgot to mention quality winter socks, px thicky merino ones if you are on a budget.

As for gloves, I have some fantastic bontrager ones which were £20, but my faves, and what I wore on Monday, are Giordana Nordic gloves, these appear randomly for £20 each, and I love them so much, I bought a spare pair last time they were reduced.

The jersey is aldis winter gear. I picked it up when I first got into cycling because it was affordable. Not spectacular, it does the job and isn't terrible in terms of breathability and wicking as it's contructed from 90% wicking polyester, I've certainly never arrived back cold, damp and sweating after my last couple of 40 mile rides and when I used it in winter last year, but it's not as well fitting and comfortable (and fasionable) as my much better quality planet x race line jerseys and bibs I use when the weather starts getting closer to 15c. Their gear tends to be quite good so I'll take a look there.

I am sort of leaning towards a base layer and decent winter jersey/bibtights with a good wind/waterproof jacket. Much prefer bibs over trousers/shorts that grip at the waist. I could get away with shorts and warmers as my legs are core don't really suffer but I'm under the impression that the warmer I keep everywhere else, the warmer my hands and feet will be.

Hands are feet are without a doubt my biggest problem. Getting home yesterday my hands and moreso my feet were freezing and my toes numb. Got a hot shower right away and it was rather painful at first. I will take a look at those gloves, £20 is about the most I will spend on a pair so they could be worth a shot. I'll try my new overshoes tomorrow and see if they make a difference.

anyway thanks for the reply, it gives me a bit more to look into.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Daniel B wrote:

I do something similar to this, the soprassos are good. I have a morvelo 'thermoactive' jersey which is warm (shamefully I was tempted by the looks rather than the substance but it's great). I've got some neoprene gloves which keep your hands warm and wet, along with some sealskinz neoprene shoe covers. I also bought a bontrager jacket which I'm quite sure is the velocis below, seems good so far, the endura one I had previously had rubbish seperate waterproof armwarmers.

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/apparel- ... 8cEALw_wcB
  • IME, the answer to this question is... It depends. ;)

Saturday morning I went out on the Voodoo, I wore DHB winter bibs; Funkier neon MTB baggies; Aldi merino mid layer; PX Hydrosphere jacket; Dafeet E-touch dura gloves. Lezyne Super GPS was in my pocket, it was approx +4C feeling like +2C.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1481118327
    Part way through the second loop I decided I was going to head home, because I sprinted like a madman to try and reach Woodmill for 0700, but then rode at a very moderate recovery ride pace. That early sweat cooled down and started to make my torso cold, my fingers were numb and my exposed ears were freezing.

Yesterday I went out on the Cube, it was approx +3C feels like +1C, I went out in the DHB bibs; Lusso short sleeve jersey; Altura Peleton Transformer (wearing sleeves but disconnected from jacket); DHB Thermolite socks; Aldi lobster golves (with fingerless gloves in jacket); thin "headband" thing covering ears.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1483839589
    Again, had to sprint like a madman for the meeting point at 0900, but then it was a long (for me) and very moderate paced ride besides my effort up the cat4 hill to the Sustainability Centre. Lobster gloves were warm, but awkward to use the STI shifters, so I swapped to the fingerless, which were a bit cool early on but got better. Feet were frozen by the time we reached Petersfield, I should have worn an extra sock layer. But torso and arms were in a happy pace, not too warm, not too cold. Sadly, suitable spring clothing doesn't stop your legs from moaning, when they aren't to putting in those sort of miles and hours very often since last autumn.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited April 2018
    If you are primarily after top vfm kit, I concur on the PX raceline range, also worth looking at Polaris, Tenn, dhb, and Decathlon kit.
    Might well be some stonking deals on winter kit coming up soon in sales.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    How about indoor training? Zwift, Sufferfest, FulGaz, Trainer road, you and 4 walls.

Any of those done right will have you fit all year round.
  • IME, the answer to this question is... It depends. ;)

Saturday morning I went out on the Voodoo, I wore DHB winter bibs; Funkier neon MTB baggies; Aldi merino mid layer; PX Hydrosphere jacket; Dafeet E-touch dura gloves. Lezyne Super GPS was in my pocket, it was approx +4C feeling like +2C.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1481118327
    Part way through the second loop I decided I was going to head home, because I sprinted like a madman to try and reach Woodmill for 0700, but then rode at a very moderate recovery ride pace. That early sweat cooled down and started to make my torso cold, my fingers were numb and my exposed ears were freezing.

Hoping aldi have another specialbuy on their base layers soon but I don't really expect it until next winter starts to hit. I've really heard nothing but good things about their base layers.

What are your thoughts on the hydrosphere jacket? Is it as water/windproof as they make out and packable? I was looking at that jacket last season and recently came across again. I'm sure it was reduced down to around £30 on a sale at one point last year.
    If you are primarily after top vfm kit, I concur on the PX raceline range, also worth looking at Polaris, Tenn and Decathlon kit.
    Might well be some stonking deals on winter kit coming up soon in sales.

I tend to go for value for money without buying the really budget stuff, still I don't mind spending a little more to get something decent but try to stay away for the more expensive labelled brands. I'm 99% certain we're due some winter deals in the next couple of months. My aim is to get my winter wardrobe stocked while there is a sale on when the warmer weather hits and the stores try to sell of all of their winter range.
  • How about indoor training? Zwift, Sufferfest, FulGaz, Trainer road, you and 4 walls.

Any of those done right will have you fit all year round.

I thought about zwift or some rollers, but these 4 walls drive my mad unfortunately and I want to get out or I end up getting depressed, I hate bad weather, but if I'm sufficiently wrapped up and toasty then I can cope. Just enough of a ride to hold onto a good level of fitness until spring/summer fully hits is all I want.

Still it's something to consider for the future, they could be a godsend if I want an hour blast when I'm working late and don't want to be going back out after working 10-8pm in the depths of winter.
  • PX Hydroshere isn't bad as an autumn to spring waterproof, providing I don't go wild with ~200-300W efforts, while wearing a decent insulating layer underneath. On Saturday, if I had been wearing my Aldi base layer instead, it would have been better. It's more breathable than other waterproof jackets I've had, but you can still boil in the bag.

The Altura Peleton Transformer is great in the -5 to +10C range (bit warm at upper end with sleeves on) with a light top underneath, but I've yet to wear it in the rain, albeit it's not officially waterproof. A £30 bargain IMO.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    My best base layers are endure baa baa merino short sleeve and ice breakers merino long nd short sleeves. I haven't got any dhb merino tops but I just bought their winter merino socks so may be able to give feedback soon. dhb aeron is a great range for the top half. Their full protection softshell, Roubaix jersey and lightweight gillet make up a good system for Sept - April. They may have some big reductions on them soon.

Arm warmers are for spring and summer days when I set out early and know it will be too warm for long sleeves once the day arms up.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    The craft winter base later in the bargains thread is perfect.

Merino is OK but crap if it gets wet as it doesn't not wick or dry so leaves you cold.

Nowadays it's about 10 degrees so I'd wear 3/4 bibs, above winter base layer (maybe a thinner one) medium gloves with silk liners, windproof jersey, normal cap, buff pulled up over ears, woolie boolie socks and toe covers.

Even then I know I'll probably be pulling the buff down and maybe removing glove liners as I go.

Buff I got from d2d cycling for 4 quid.
    Toe covers about 5 from dhb or Amazon
    Base layer 16 quid (currently)
    Gloves 5 from planet X
    Liners 9 from Amazon I think
    Cap 5 Rapha sale
    3/4s are sportful no rain bibs with pearl izumi knee warmers. 60 and 10 quid respectively.
    Ok my windproof is an assos airjack but it's about 10 years old and I bought it used 6 years ago for 40 quid.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,967
    Everyone is different so here is my tuppence.
    Every time after you've been out on your bike record the temperature and what you were wearing, or should have added/removed. Keep modifying it and after a while you should have an accurate sheet for what to wear according to the conditions.
    I have 0-5, 5-8, 8-10, 10-15, 15-20 and 20+ as my ranges as I seem to cross over at 5, 8, 10, 15 and 20 degrees.
    Add on consideration for wet or dry and you should be well prepared.
    I don't do ice.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've not really noticed much difference between all my various base layers. Often it's something like a free technical race tee shirt or a ls helly Hansen.

PX kit is excellent vfm as is the dhb kit. Overshoes and thick gloves really help. Buffs or tube scarfs for the head and neck.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Merino is OK but crap if it gets wet as it doesn't not wick or dry so leaves you cold.

The point of merino is that it keeps you warm even when it's wet, windproof over the top and you'll be warm and wet when your jacket inevitably leaks :wink:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Merino is also excellent for not stinking up.
    If you ride to and from work you'll be able to get many rides out of one Merino top but you'd have to wash a normal base layer after each rude.
  • pblakeney
    cougie wrote:
    Merino is also excellent for not stinking up.
    If you ride to and from work you'll be able to get many rides out of one Merino top but you'd have to wash a normal base layer after each rude.
    This.
    I hate hard going rides to a cafe when other are wearing non-natural base layers. Pheeuuuw!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I hate to say it but you've already been "lazy through winter" as you put it, you'll already be behind those that have been training through the real cold months.

Not to worry though, you'll be amazed how fit you can get with a couple of months of hard training and good eating.

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about winter clothing now, you're not going to see many more bitterly cold days now, even this weekend youre looking at temps of 16-17+ for some parts of the UK.

It will soon be a great time to pick up bargains for next winter though!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    dstev55 wrote:
    I hate to say it but you've already been "lazy through winter" as you put it, you'll already be behind those that have been training through the real cold months.

Not to worry though, you'll be amazed how fit you can get with a couple of months of hard training and good eating.

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about winter clothing now, you're not going to see many more bitterly cold days now, even this weekend youre looking at temps of 16-17+ for some parts of the UK.

This, you've missed winter so don't worry about the zero degrees stuff now - use thinner layers of Spring/Autumn gear (assuming you're in the UK)

For gloves, get some full finger liners that you can wear under another pair. For a jacket, something akin to the Gabba that will keep you warm if you get wet in the rain - and some similar tech arm and leg warmers like Castelli Nanoflex or Sportful Norain. Then add a gillet for the wind.
  • g00se wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

This, you've missed winter so don't worry about the zero degrees stuff now - use thinner layers of Spring/Autumn gear (assuming you're in the UK)

For gloves, get some full finger liners that you can wear under another pair. For a jacket, something akin to the Gabba that will keep you warm if you get wet in the rain - and some similar tech arm and leg warmers like Castelli Nanoflex or Sportful Norain. Then add a gillet for the wind.

It's more a case of being prepared because I'll only get to october which is usually about the time when I can just about still cope with jerseys and shorts and then not bother as much, and um and ah about it all so best I get everything ready now so I can be straight into the gear in 7 ish months time. Plus it beats paying full price going into the winter season.

I got some thinner liner gloves this morning, and heavier waterproof glove to follow to use when winter rolls in again.
    Time to get out for a ride and see if my new gloves and overshoes help my poor hands and feet. The shoes are only windproof and water resistant but I've gave them a good coating of nikwax which should seal them nicely.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    Total brain dump ahead... sorry it's so long. Feel free to ignore, I just got carried away.

Everyone is different and there's no substitute for trying some kit out and seeing how it goes. Commuting is good for this assuming it's viable because you don't need the motivational kick to get you out, your boss will do it for you if you don't. You can also justify some kit spend based on the cost of the alternative transport. You probably aren't exposed for too long so if you get it wrong, there's relief almost in sight.

I've been living in softshell jackets over this winter. I was lucky enough to get a rapha one free on freecycle a few years ago and snapped up another that came up on the classifieds on here. Like you I don't normally go for the brands (I am fantastically stingy), just this one thing I got by chance. I have an Aldi softshell, which is fine, but it's not quite as breathable and can get a bit clammy. With a merino base layer underneath my top half has been sorted with a softshell from -9°C up to about 10°C. Sometimes with a commute, you pick ideal clothing for the morning and live with it the afternoon if the weather gives you a surprise, so it's useful to have something that covers a wide temperature range. I'd imagine other softshells are just as good and work ok in a shower.

For really cold days, I like the decathlon merino baselayers. I think I got the ones that were meant for hiking but they were cheaper than the cycling ones at about £15. They call it techwool or something, not 100% merino but enough to have good properties. These can be worn in much warmer conditions too, but I save them for the cold. For slightly warmer conditions I use the freebie technical t-shirts mentioned before or any of the other random things I have. Under armour do some super-hero base layers you could pick up in sports-direct for a tenner at one stage that the kids think are fun. My mother in law picked me up a load of costco baselayers un-solicited... they work fine too, though they're quite synthetic so strictly one wear or a commute round-trip only and they seemed to do something funny to my hrm strap as it was wearing out, static electricity I suppose.

For legs I find I don't need base layer at all. Deep cold I have some planet-x wind-stop bib tights which are brilliant and were only £21. I have loads of other 3/4 bibs and bib-shorts from px as well all got for around the £20 mark and I think are just great, even for long days on the road. I have a pair of aldi legwarmers which are handy to augment a pair of shorts if there's not enough kit clean.

Feet, I buy up any merino socks in the sales, px thickies, aldi, decathlon, f.w.evans anything as long as it's less than £2.50 a sock. I wear some northwave winter boots which are great, but just as happy with lighter shoes and neoprene overshoes. Super cold, I wore overshoes over the boots. Mudguards are a must on the winter bike for me because of the toll the muck takes on the drivetrain, the wet feet and I ride with others. Even if it's not raining the roads are often wet and mucky anyway.

Gloves. Aldi lobsters for the very coldest days. On any 0°or above long finger days I wear px gloves of one sort or another (I have 3 pairs all different but I wear whatever's to hand). I've never bothered with liners, but maybe I have warmer than avg hands. Mitts will be coming out soon.

Rain. Overshoes. Mudguards. If I know it's definitely raining I'll wear a decent rain jacket (altura nightvision 2 waterproof jacket, still £50 at evans if you like blue). If there's a chance of rain have a light pocketable water proof layer same as you would in the summer. waterproof gilet is handy when it's not so cold.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I ride all year round, with the exception of ice/snow and very strong winds.
    I find that cold is fairly easy to manage with layers under a Gabba, and wet can also be dealt with in a similar way if it's not too cold - the real challenge comes when you have to deal with both cold and wet at the same time.
    If it's below zero and wet then I go with a long sleeve base layer, jersey and hardshell waterproof top. Any hardshell will keep you warm but will induce more sweat and so you need to manage the balance between effort to keep you warm and ensuring that you can vent some of the sweat away - otherwise you will get really cold after a few hours.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Layering is key, took me a while to get my head around this but in the cold I now ensure that I layer.

Best bits of kit I have in particular order are:

Giodarna merino base layer with a windtex front panel – on very cold days this blocks the wind from my chest
    Cycling specific string vest, think mine again is a Giodarna one – very good at trapping air between layers for insulation
    Canterbury deep cold rugby baselayer – bought for about a tenner as its in green but has a turtle neck so great for keeping the neck warm.
    Various cycling caps for ensuring head is warm – I use cotton ones mainly but have a Gore skull cap for when its really cold.
    Gore skull cap for when its really cold!
    Good winter gloves – don’t scrimp ion these, also buy a pair of liner gloves for when its really cold as one pair is never quite enough, plus if your hands get warm you can take them off.
    Roubaix bib-tights – mine are DHB ones with a zip up front and are brilliant plus cheap.
    Waterproof jacket – for when it rains but also when really cold you can put on as a wind block.
    Gillet – extra layer which folds into your back pocket when you warm up, I use mine for emergancies only.
    Fleece neck buff, great when really cold.
    Decent jacket – you can buy expensive winter ones which I am sure are great, however I usually just use my thin Roubaix lined long sleeved jerseys (club kit) with a vest and a long sleeved baselayer underneath, if really cold then I add an extra layer such as a gillet.
    DHB winter merino socks – I have a couple of pairs and they are great, when its really cold I also wrap my toes in tin foil (between shoe and sock.
    DeFeet woollen/knitted oversocks – for when really cold.

Remember most of your body heat is lost through your extremities so good head gear, gloves and socks are the most important.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • pblakeney
    JesseD wrote:
    Remember most of your body heat is lost through your extremities so good head gear, gloves and socks are the most important.
    I doubt this part is true. The body protects the core by removing heat from the extremities giving the impression that the extremities get cold first, because they do. Keep your core warm and the extremities will follow.
    Unless you try 3 gillets and bare arms in zero temperatures type extreme. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    try vermarc clothing. It what I use and I ride near enough everyday. layers are the answer for the cold, tight fitting layers not thermals.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • JesseD
    PBlakeney wrote:
    JesseD wrote:
    I doubt this part is true. The body protects the core by removing heat from the extremities giving the impression that the extremities get cold first, because they do. Keep your core warm and the extremities will follow.
    Unless you try 3 gillets and bare arms in zero temperatures type extreme. :wink:

Always thought that heat usually escapes from your head?

Will concede on feet and hands though.
  • pblakeney
    JesseD wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    JesseD wrote:

Bad test but widely believed.
    https://www.livescience.com/34411-body- ... -head.html
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • JesseD
    PBlakeney wrote:
    JesseD wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    JesseD wrote:

Bad test but widely believed.
    https://www.livescience.com/34411-body- ... -head.html

I'll ditch my cap then :lol:
  • Sportiveman
    Sportiveman Posts: 158
    Daft question but if your wearing a soft shell do you wear a cycling jersey unverneath or a base layer ?
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I just wear a base layer under a soft shell, worked down to -9.
  • For me, the Castelli Alpha jacket is good all the way up to about 10 degrees, and choosing different base layers is what fine tunes things to fit a given days conditions. Leg-wise, something with wind stopping properties is pretty vital. But I struggle to keep my toes warm - woolly bully socks get closest.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.