Murder rate in London overtakes New York

2»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The sooner this sort of thing is seen as an occupational hazard for burglars the better.
    Similarly this business of not chasing kids on scooters in case they have an accident has to stop. If they are committing a crime they have to accept there may be consequences.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The sooner this sort of thing is seen as an occupational hazard for burglars the better.
    Similarly this business of not chasing kids on scooters in case they have an accident has to stop. If they are committing a crime they have to accept there may be consequences.
    Accidents often involve more than the idiot driving too fast/drunk/whatever. I'd be pretty f***ed off if some s*** on a scooter put me in a wheelchair because he was being chased over something as trivial as a mobile phone.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,550
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Accidents often involve more than the idiot driving too fast/drunk/whatever. I'd be pretty f***ed off if some s*** on a scooter put me in a wheelchair because he was being chased over something as trivial as a mobile phone.
    Sometimes its better not to chase. Sometimes stingers, a metal rod in the spokes or a trip wire at neck height will do the job and save you from injury. As mentioned, when the thieving scrotes realise that this sort of thing is an occupational hazard, the offending rate will drop.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Veronese68 wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    They're almost all between teenagers fighting each other thinking they're in Compton - there are very few parts of London I don't feel safe walking around really.
    maybe its as I grow older, but I dont feel as safe in some parts of London now.
    Must say I agree with okgo on this. Went to the Forum and Kentish Town a couple of weeks ago and was laughing to myself at how posh it is up there compared to how it used to be. Brixton feels safe now, can't say I always felt safe there 30 years ago.

and thats fine, everyone feels these things differently, Im only saying that Ive certainly felt in the parts of London I have travelled around & across the years for work/leisure/living etc, I certainly now dont feel as comfortable and safe as I once did, certainly not if Im travelling around by myself as a lone woman, its not so bad if you are in with a group of people, but there are certainly some parts Id seriously think twice about going near completely late at night, and that didnt always used to be the case, regardless of Im fully aware there was plenty of violence and people were still being killed fairly regularly in London back in the day too.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sometimes its better not to chase. Sometimes stingers, a metal rod in the spokes or a trip wire at neck height will do the job and save you from injury. As mentioned, when the thieving scrotes realise that this sort of thing is an occupational hazard, the offending rate will drop.
    Metal rod in the spokes? Trip wires? :lol: You've been watching too many Indiana Jones movies.

Severity of consequences doesn't seem to have much impact on crime rates, presumably because people aren't very good at considering consequences. Nobody thinks 'it' will happen to them.

Anyway back on topic, it's pretty disturbing to see people dismissing the increase in deaths as just something involving teenage gang members - so that's alright then.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    okgo wrote:
    Then you look at who the murders are - go on murdermap and they're generally teenagers by and large. Most of it will be gang related. I'm in Tulse Hill and there are plenty of murders around and about but I don't feel unsafe.

I'm a born n bred Brixton boy and lived for a long time in Tulse hill, even in the worst period leading up to and after the riots i never felt unsafe, as for comparing London to Manhattan that's a joke, christ there are so many cops on every street corner no one in their right mind would even bother, but as others have said extend that to the wider NY area its not so rosy but still not downtown Baghdad.

Fake news :roll: :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Back to the thread title. The murder rate in NY this year ( and I think in all years) has been higher than in London it just in Feb and march it has been higher in London but Jan was a really bad month for ny.

The causes are not simple but treating this problem like a public health issue should yeild better results than criminal justice system as that only kicks in once someone is dead. Prevention is generally better than a cure.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    awavey wrote:
    and thats fine, everyone feels these things differently, ... certainly not if Im travelling around by myself as a lone woman,
    Fair point, I'm not happy if my wife or daughter are travelling alone at night and will go and collect them if I can't sort out for them to be with someone.
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

They seem to have the problem sussed in Brazil though!

https://youtu.be/sTtdzXKwHOk
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    This particular ‘spike’ in the stats would seem to be due to a particular demographic. If you’re not involved with this demographic, there’s nothing to see here. If you are part of their world, it’s Darwinism at its finest.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,550
    RallyBiker wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

They seem to have the problem sussed in Brazil though!

https://youtu.be/sTtdzXKwHOk
    Good shot!
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]