Paris Roubaix 2018

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited April 2018 in Pro race
Just looking at the route for this year's race, looks like there are a few changes from last year.

f6a30

Viesly to Quiévy & Briastre to Solesmes have been taken out, Saint Python & Quiévy to Saint-Python are run in the opposite direction and there are a couple of new sections near Saint Hilaire lez Cambrai & Saulzoir.

Probably won't make too much difference to the race as it's early into the cobbled sections, but maybe worth flagging up if anyone is planning on going to watch. Requires a bit of a rethink for me.

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    How many sections do you expect to get to?
  • Probably 3 this year. It's not too hard to do 4 or 5, but I tend to pick bits of the race I'd like to see or that I haven't been to before. And I usually end up at the Carrefour de L'Arbre as well.
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Probably 3 this year. It's not too hard to do 4 or 5, but I tend to pick bits of the race I'd like to see or that I haven't been to before. And I usually end up at the Carrefour de L'Arbre as well.

I'm going to be there for the first time this year. Could you describe how you manage to see that many sections please.

Thanks,

Pete
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Probably 3 this year. It's not too hard to do 4 or 5, but I tend to pick bits of the race I'd like to see or that I haven't been to before. And I usually end up at the Carrefour de L'Arbre as well.

sounds good, saves the falling asleep in front of the telly. :)
  • peteco wrote:
    I'm going to be there for the first time this year. Could you describe how you manage to see that many sections please.

Thanks,

Pete

There isn't too much information available at the moment, just the map I linked to earlier. But you can use previous year's information until it comes out. The later part of the race, from Section 23 onwards hasn't changed.

https://www.velowire.com/article/1013/e ... north.html

Using that, I just use Google maps. Work out how long it will take to drive from one section to the next and compare to the time schedule (using the fastest time). I'd also add some time on for parking the car and walking to the route. Maybe 10-15 minutes for each time you arrive and a similar time to get away. Maybe more for busier parts, like Arenberg.

Also, as I'm not just going for the weekend, I'll do a dry run on either the Thursday or the Friday, to try and pick up things like roadworks and familiarise myself with where I'm going. The teams are out on both days, doing their recce, so I should get to see them as well.

Other than that, it just depends on how ambitious you are, or what you'd like to see. I think most people like to go to Arenberg, maybe Mons en Pevele or the Carrefour de L'Arbre. All easy enough to do, although I'm not sure how you'd get to all of those. I'm sure it's possible, any ideas anyone?
  • Probably 3 this year. It's not too hard to do 4 or 5, but I tend to pick bits of the race I'd like to see or that I haven't been to before. And I usually end up at the Carrefour de L'Arbre as well.

sounds good, saves the falling asleep in front of the telly. :)

What? I can understand falling asleep watching Liege, but not Roubaix!
  • Gooner69
    Gooner69 Posts: 97
    Hiya, im entered into the sportive and watching the Pro`s on Sunday obviously. Can anybody point me where i can find an in order list of the cobbled sections for the sportive. i want to make a momento list for the stem like the pro`s do.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Gooner69 wrote:
    Hiya, im entered into the sportive and watching the Pro`s on Sunday obviously. Can anybody point me where i can find an in order list of the cobbled sections for the sportive. i want to make a momento list for the stem like the pro`s do.

It’s not bang on accurate and might need re-sequencing;

Clip in,
    Lined out
    Lined out
    Lined out
    Dropped
    Re-group
    Lined out
    Lined out
    [Cobbles]
    Grovel
    Grovel
    Near miss
    Grovel
    Puncture
    Lined out
    [Cobbles]
    Near miss
    Grovel
    Grovel...
    160km more of this sort of thing.
    How long is your stem?
  • Don't you need to add in a few "Why am I doing this".
  • Gooner69 wrote:

From the Challenge website...

SP2 WILLEMS A HEM
    SP3 GRUSON
    SP4 CARREFOUR DE L ARBRE
    SP5 CAMPHIN EN PEVELE
    SP6 BOURGHELLES A WANNEHAIN
    SP7 CYSOING A BOURGHELLES
    SP8 TEMPLEUVE MOULIN DE VERTAIN
    SP9 PONT THIBAUT A ENNEVELIN
    SP10 MERIGNIES A AVELIN
    SP11 MONS EN PEVELE
    SP12 AUCHY LEZ ORCHIES A BERSEE
    SP13 ORCHIES
    SP14 BEUVRY LA FORET A ORCHIES
    SP15 TILLOY A SARS ET ROSIERES
    SP16 WARLAING A BRILLON
    SP17 HORNAING A WANDIGNIES
    SP18 WALLERS A HELESMES
    SP19 TROUEE D'ARENBERG
    SP20 HAVELUY A WALLERS
    SP21 MAING A MONCHAUX SUR ECAILLON
    SP22 QUERENAING A MAING
    SP23 VERCHAIN MAUGRE A QUERENAING
    SP24 SAUZOIR A VERCHAIN MAUGRE
    SP25 SAINT HILAIRE A SAINT VAAST
    SP26 FONTAINE AU TERTRE A QUIEVY
    SP27 SAINT PYTHON
    SP28 VIESLY A BRIASTRE
    SP29 TROISVILLES

I'm guessing that's for the full 172km ride, not sure why they haven't listed SP1, that's probably the one outside the velodrome. Would be good to add the length of each one and maybe highlight the 5 star sections, you could get that from the velowire website.
  • peteco wrote:

Thanks,

Pete

Very do-able is something like:

Troisville
    Sars et Rosieres
    Roubaix
  • Gooner69 wrote:

SP2 WILLEMS A HEM
    SP3 GRUSON
    SP4 CARREFOUR DE L ARBRE
    SP5 CAMPHIN EN PEVELE
    SP10 MERIGNIES A AVELIN
    SP11 MONS EN PEVELE
    SP13 ORCHIES
    SP16 WARLAING A BRILLON
    SP18 WALLERS A HELESMES
    SP19 TROUEE D'ARENBERG
    SP20 HAVELUY A WALLERS
    SP22 QUERENAING A MAING
    SP27 SAINT PYTHON
    SP28 VIESLY A BRIASTRE
    SP29 TROISVILLES

I'm guessing that's for the full 172km ride, not sure why they haven't listed SP1, that's probably the one outside the velodrome. Would be good to add the length of each one and maybe highlight the 5 star sections, you could get that from the velowire website.

Can't remember for sure, but I think we were given a top-tube sticker at sign-in when I did it 2 years ago.

Yeah, they don't do SP1 on the sportive as it's a pedestrianised area, and it would also require the riders to swing across the road to get onto it, and swing back across at the end to enter the velodrome
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Gooner69 wrote:

They'll give you a sticker with all the sectors on. It won't fit on your stem though, unless your rocking a ridiculously long stem (my 130mm one wasn't nearly long enough). My sticker ended up on my top tube, but try looking at that when you're on the cobbles - you could just cut it in half and you might fit the sectors from Arenberg onwards onto your stem. That includes all the most famous bits.
  • bigmat
    Gooner69 wrote:

SP2 WILLEMS A HEM
    SP3 GRUSON
    SP4 CARREFOUR DE L ARBRE
    SP5 CAMPHIN EN PEVELE
    SP10 MERIGNIES A AVELIN
    SP11 MONS EN PEVELE
    SP13 ORCHIES
    SP16 WARLAING A BRILLON
    SP18 WALLERS A HELESMES
    SP19 TROUEE D'ARENBERG
    SP20 HAVELUY A WALLERS
    SP22 QUERENAING A MAING
    SP27 SAINT PYTHON
    SP28 VIESLY A BRIASTRE
    SP29 TROISVILLES

Can't remember for sure, but I think we were given a top-tube sticker at sign-in when I did it 2 years ago.

Yeah, they don't do SP1 on the sportive as it's a pedestrianised area, and it would also require the riders to swing across the road to get onto it, and swing back across at the end to enter the velodrome

You can kind of do SP1, but you have to weave between barriers, dodge parked cars etc. Not really worth the effort, and likely the last thing you want to do at the end of that ride. The run in to the stadium through the traffic isn't that much fun to be honest, but arriving on the velodrome makes it all worthwhile. Just make sure you have enough in the tank to cut down from the top of the banking and power past your mates at the finish!
  • Gooner69
    Gooner69 Posts: 97
    Thanks guys, i have done it before but it was in a haze of Duvall and Grimbergen.
    Will make sure to remember it this time.
  • cygnet
    cygnet Posts: 92
    SP2 WILLEMS A HEM 1.4km 2*
    SP3 GRUSON 1.1km 2*
    SP4 CARREFOUR DE L ARBRE 2.1km 5*
    SP5 CAMPHIN EN PEVELE 1.8km 4*
    SP6 BOURGHELLES A WANNEHAIN 1.1km 3*
    SP7 CYSOING A BOURGHELLES 1.3km 4*
    SP8 TEMPLEUVE MOULIN DE VERTAIN 0.5km 2*
    SP9 PONT THIBAUT A ENNEVELIN 1.4km 3*
    SP10 MERIGNIES A AVELIN 0.7km 2*
    SP11 MONS EN PEVELE 3.0km 5*
    SP12 AUCHY LEZ ORCHIES A BERSEE 2.6km 4*
    SP13 ORCHIES 1.7km 3*
    SP14 BEUVRY LA FORET A ORCHIES 1.4km 3*
    SP15 TILLOY A SARS ET ROSIERES 2.4km 3*
    SP16 WARLAING A BRILLON 2.4km
    SP17 HORNAING A WANDIGNIES 3.7km
    SP18 WALLERS A HELESMES 1.6km
    SP19 TROUEE D'ARENBERG 2.4km 5*
    SP20 HAVELUY A WALLERS 2.5km
    SP21 MAING A MONCHAUX SUR ECAILLON 1.6km 3*
    SP22 QUERENAING A MAING 2.5km 3*
    SP23 VERCHAIN MAUGRE A QUERENAING 1.8km
    SP27 SAINT PYTHON 1.5km 2*
    SP28 VIESLY A BRIASTRE 1.8km 3*
    SP29 TROISVILLES 2.2km 3*

Here's a start. I have found knowing the distance between the sectors to be as if not more useful.
    e.g. 4.2km of pave/5.8km of road between SP7 and SP4; ~500m between SP5 and SP4; ~5m between SP4 and SP3
    Just heard from the latest GCN video that last year's race was the fastest ever at an average speed of 28.1 mph. That is insane.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Gooner69 wrote:

SP2 WILLEMS A HEM
    SP3 GRUSON
    SP4 CARREFOUR DE L ARBRE
    SP5 CAMPHIN EN PEVELE
    SP10 MERIGNIES A AVELIN
    SP11 MONS EN PEVELE
    SP13 ORCHIES
    SP16 WARLAING A BRILLON
    SP18 WALLERS A HELESMES
    SP19 TROUEE D'ARENBERG
    SP20 HAVELUY A WALLERS
    SP22 QUERENAING A MAING
    SP27 SAINT PYTHON
    SP28 VIESLY A BRIASTRE
    SP29 TROISVILLES

Plus it’s about the only place to park
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Do they still make you do the arenberg from a standing start
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • bigmat

No, but the whole "hit it full on and try to maintain momentum" thing doesn't work so well when you are surrounded by choppers walking / falling. Plus an ambulance taking up half the road last time I did it.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    BigMat wrote:

No, but the whole "hit it full on and try to maintain momentum" thing doesn't work so well when you are surrounded by choppers walking / falling. Plus an ambulance taking up half the road last time I did it.

Will you choppers get out of the way please. Big Mat is trying to do Paris Roubaix.

2iohg9.jpg
  • bigmat
    :lol:
    smithy21 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Will you choppers get out of the way please. Big Mat is trying to do Paris Roubaix.

2iohg9.jpg

Obviously I was one of the choppers! :oops:
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    from WW

Some extra motivation for Wout van Aert for Paris - Roubaix. New cobble painted personalized bike, with a Merckx inspired selfie on the HT.

DZ4otQ4X0AAF7XH.jpg
    DZ4otQ2XkAAt9Qa.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Having to drive between 3:30 and 5:30 on Sunday afternoon.

Absolutely gutted.
  • Nevermind van Aert's ride, check out Degenkolb's!

40540149534_8d59f4ab50_c.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    One of my cycling highlights was riding the sadly-discontinued full-length P-Rx cyclo a few times - me and my mate got on the front of a bunch of about 40 riders and wound it up with about 5km to go and hitting Arenberg at full-blast looking back as we hit the bottom of the trench to find it was just me and my mate. I did lose one of my bottles, the temperature was in the 30s and everyone really suffered in the heat and dust. People were collapsing from dehydration at the controls. Easily my hardest day on a bike.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    William Hill has:

Sagan 10/3

GVA, Gilbert 7/1

Terpstra 10/1

Vanmarcke, Stybar 12/1

van Aert 13/1

Degenkolb 14/1

Actually seems fairly open, Sagan the clear favourite but he always is... I'm not sure GVA really looked like he has it this year, Gilbert looks very strong. While van Aert seems to have a good chance of being there at the end I think his chance of actually winning is pretty remote, although does anyone know what his sprint is like??
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    UK bookie odds are weird.

Surely Stybar EW at 12/1 is a no brainer? Unless someone tells me otherwise.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    He may burn himself off for Gilbert I guess
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    He may burn himself off for Gilbert I guess

Yep, looks like he's actually in third place on the QS roster when it comes to leadership duties