£4k bike - what would you get?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    kofsw4 wrote:
    I treated myself to a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 Di2 for my 40th about 18 months ago. I had a very similar budget and it came in at £3800 with some great Reynolds wheels. I've ridden it about 5,000km and haven't since seen another bike I'd rather have.

By the way, Canyon have a service centre in Chessington so you don't have to send it back to Germany if anything goes wrong.

I got an email saying they're doing a test ride thing this weekend at Mercedes Benz world in Surrey where you can ride the bikes.

Chessington? World of Adventure?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I did reply to this. I bought a colnago c59 with Di2 and zipp 303s for considerably less than that and I would strongly encourage you to look at used bikes.

Sacrilidge I know but someone is selling a Dura ace colnago c60 in showroom condition for 3,900. Some of these used bikes have barely been ridden and are available for a steal. With a lot of patience and some time you can get an absolute steal on the used market if you know what you want which I guess you have a rough idea of if you have owned a bike already.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 0563300451

Absolutely agree with this.

Last year I bought a Bianchi Infinito CV with Super Record EPS. It was less than 3 years old and it was obviously the guys pride and joy as it was immaculate. He paid over £7k new for it then upgraded it to EPS so you're looking at an £8k+ bike. What did I pay?

£3200.

An absolute steal and I know I now love it more than I would a bike that I'd spent similar money on new. I just wouldn't have got anything like I did.

I'm not saying don't buy new but certainly have a good scour over the used market, you could easily get a pro level superbike for the money you're looking at.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I was mulling over that £4k used to buy you top of the range but now you're looking at Halfords.

Thining about it though, as a bit of a wildcard how about something like this (from Halfords....):

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/bikes/roa ... -2017.html

Cycle Republic are a stone's throw from Swift/Bespoke and with electronic shifting so fits those criteria for the OP. 10% off with BC and there's always deals on Boardmans so £4k maybe.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I was mulling over that £4k used to buy you top of the range but now you're looking at Halfords.

Thining about it though, as a bit of a wildcard how about something like this (from Halfords....):

Cycle Republic are a stone's throw from Swift/Bespoke and with electronic shifting so fits those criteria for the OP. 10% off with BC and there's always deals on Boardmans so £4k maybe.
    It’s back brake is under the bottom bracket. I’ve never read a review yet that didn’t complain about wheel rub from this set up.
  • londoncommuter
    Webboo wrote:

It’s back brake is under the bottom bracket. I’ve never read a review yet that didn’t complain about wheel rub from this set up.

I think you're putting maintenance hassle and lack of performance ahead of aesthetics.
  • webboo
    I reckon if you spend 5 grand on a bike then get wheel rub every time you get out of the saddle. You will soon forget how good it looks.
  • Easy decision for me, as were basically talking about the budget and spec for my next bike (the only hiccup being that I'm about 3,990 short right now).

A titanium frame with the same geometry of my current bike, with mudguards, Ti rack and flat-mounts for disc brakes. Campag Chorus HO with disc brakes. And a Brooks B17 saddle. Not quite sure what to use for wheels, but they'll need a hub Dynamo and USB charger built-in.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I would be looking at one of last years models, some of the discounts are approaching 50%.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Webboo wrote:

I'd read reports of it just not working very well but the newer Meridas with them don't seem to suffer. Or at least it's not mentioned in the reviews I've seen.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    I disagree. At £4k I'd want a test ride.

The OP has a pretty nice bike (Focus Cayo Evo) and if you were spending 4K, you'd want a considerable, if totally subjective upgrade.

When I was shopping around I rode a few bikes and while none were crap, they all felt different and much to my frustration, the one I wanted the most didn't really feel like much of an upgrade from my outgoing bike.
    You’ve hit the nail on the head in that for £4K I want to feel it’s a considerable upgrade. This may be easier said than done due to the subjectivity of it all. Hence why I think I currently favour ultegra Di2 over mechanical dura ace as the electronic shifting is a tangible difference to what I have now.

I think in line with some of the other posts my preference is to buy in person both due to the ability to have a test ride but also the practicalities for anything post sale. Will definitely not rule out online at this point, but will probably try LBS first.

I agree with that. I test rode a c60 last year and thought it was a good bike. I then got back on my canyon ultimate and actually preferred it to the colnago. If i hadn't been in holiday for 2 weeks before trying the c60 i doubt I'd have liked it at all. I had the c60 for a week, but don't assume you'll get a worthwhile test ride from any old shop.

I did buy the canyon online obviously and loved it. I never had any problems and I just trusted the professional and owner reviews. I did try a friend's for size though.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Matthewfalle
    If ou really want electronic, track down something with eTap in the sales.

Ultegra di2 isn’t that great shakes.

Mechanical Red 22 is leaps and bounds above anything mechanical Shimano (I actually prefer it over Ultegra di2), so well nice frameset, Red, nice wheels and finishing kit All bought in sales/when bargains turn up assembled over a summer weekend of bike building, bbq, Pastis, cigars and chilled out but bangin’ tunes.

That’s what I would do.

S5 frameset, Red, nice bars and stem and carbon deep rim tubs. That’ll come in at 4. Sweeeeeeeeeet as once you’ve got over the stupidity of the design.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • londoncommuter
    I've found the winner here, just in 56cm though (OP's size?):

https://www.bunnyhop.de/en/bikes/road/f ... ction_ms=1
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Oooooh. love that
  • dstev55
    If he lived in hilly terrain I'd say perfect but not so sure I'd be looking at an Izalco Max for flattish terrain, there are better bikes out there for that.
  • That Focus is interesting.... I appreciate your efforts londoncommuter in tracking down my dream bike. Thanks!

Lots of interesting views and suggestions, it's just making it harder to decide what to do....
    Right now just blowing the budget on a new Rolex might be more straightforward :lol:
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Save your money and buy a Casio. Nothing like inheriting a road bike.
  • webboo

Except it’s not currently available. Haven’t you got one with Sram red on it, I think you offered to sell it to me a while ago.
    I’ve got one with mech dura ace on it with Zipp 303’s on it. I’m very pleased with it.
  • dstev55
    Webboo wrote:

Except it’s not currently available. Haven’t you got one with Sram red on it, I think you offered to sell it to me a while ago.
    I’ve got one with mech dura ace on it with Zipp 303’s on it. I’m very pleased with it.

It is in a Large.
  • londoncommuter
    Webboo wrote:

Yep, I've got a mechanical Red one (which I still haven't used) all set up for the mountains of Kent. Weighs nothing and looks great on top of my chest of drawers......

As the OP mentioned, they have a 56cm so it's just itching to be bought.
  • Matthewfalle
    https://www.racycles.com/outlet/road/ti ... meset-5432

Boom. Plus Red plus wheels - smack on budget.

Don’t be a lemming.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Right now just blowing the budget on a new Rolex might be more straightforward :lol:

Wont get much of a Rolex for 4 grand!
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    If you’ve got the cash then I’d go second hand too. Loads of rich Mamils spunking thousands on bikes they hardly ride before packing it in.

Previous years bikes are also well worth a look. I bought my Foil HMX nearly 4 years ago now, it was £6k RRP, realistically most places were selling it for £4800 but I bought it as a previous years model from Westbrook and paid £3k.
  • londoncommuter
    Flasher wrote:

Wont get much of a Rolex for 4 grand!

Rolex Submariners were £2k in 2006. We're all mugs buying bikes that depreciate faster than Russia world cup tickets.
  • cougie
    Nobody buys a bike as an investment.
  • londoncommuter
    cougie wrote:

I know, but wish I'd got the Rolex then as I could have enjoyed wearing it for 10 years and then sold for twice as much as I paid. Pretty sure we'd all be down the Cervelo shop tomorrow if the same applied....

Anyway, I'll stop polluting this thread with my nonsense.
  • webboo
    cougie wrote:

I know, but wish I'd got the Rolex then as I could have enjoyed wearing it for 10 years and then sold for twice as much as I paid. Pretty sure we'd all be down the Cervelo shop tomorrow if the same applied....

Anyway, I'll stop polluting this thread with my nonsense.
    But everybody would probably be thinking that it would a cheap copy. Where as if you bought a Cervélo they would just think you were a wannabe :D
  • cougie
    The enjoyment of wearing a Rolex escapes me.
    It's just a watch. And not as useful as my Garmin.
  • dstev55
    cougie wrote:

Blasphemy.
  • webboo
    dstev55 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Blasphemy.
    A three hundred quid antique pocket watch would have more class.