£4k bike - what would you get?

brokenrunner
brokenrunner Posts: 9
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
[I did post this last night but it seems to have got lost amongst the website problems, so I'm trying again]

Hi all,

I’ve been reading the forum for some time now, but finally diving in with my first post.

I’m turning 40 this year and want an upgrade to my existing bike, I’ve set myself a budget of around £4k.

I’ve currently got a Focus Cayo Evo bought in 2013. It’s full carbon, has a full ultegra groupset (bought last year) and I have fulcrum racing quattro wheels. I absolutely don’t need a new bike but the birthday seems as good an excuse as any to make the plunge. N+1 right? I ride in a club and like to push myself quite hard. I don’t currently race, but this is a possibility, albeit it’s a fairly low key local events.

My natural inclination is to go to a shop to make the purchase rather than online. There’s two shops near where I work that offer full bike fits that are offset against the bike purchase. Based on the brands they stock, the bikes I most like are;
Cervelo R3
Trek Emonda SL7
Orbea Orca M20i Team

Does anyone have any experience / views on any of these?

At my price point, I am weighing up (and I’m sure this is divisive)
Mechanical Dura Ace or Ultegra Di2? I’m leaning towards the latter at the moment as it is actually different from what I’ve got currently. I’m not absolutely certain I’d notice the difference with the Dura Ace but willing to be proven otherwise?
Disc or Rim brakes? This will be a summer bike and I live in Essex so not likely to be tackling too many big descents in the wet. Therefore I really don’t think I need disc brakes, but am not dead against them if they came on a bike I otherwise liked.

I do also live near a Giant store and their bikes generally get good write-ups. I don’t particularly like many of their paint-jobs though and if I’m spending £4k on a bike I want to like what it looks like. Again, open to convincing if they’re that good?

Finally, I have always quite liked Canyon bikes. I’m a little uneasy about buying it online, but would welcome and thoughts good / bad about them.

Any other buying advice or recommendations would be most appreciated (including shops in / around Essex area).

Thanks!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You really need to get out and ride them if you're spending 4k.
    If it was me I'd be looking at sram etap with a compact chainet and a frame I like the look of in a nice colour.

Setting the budget first might mean you spend more than you need. The difference between dura ace and ultegra is small.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I did reply to this. I bought a colnago c59 with Di2 and zipp 303s for considerably less than that and I would strongly encourage you to look at used bikes.

Sacrilidge I know but someone is selling a Dura ace colnago c60 in showroom condition for 3,900. Some of these used bikes have barely been ridden and are available for a steal. With a lot of patience and some time you can get an absolute steal on the used market if you know what you want which I guess you have a rough idea of if you have owned a bike already.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 0563300451
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    cougie wrote:
    You really need to get out and ride them if you're spending 4k

You really don't need to.
  • I’ve recently bought a Canyon ultimate CF SLX 8.0Di2 which came in at £3799. Ultegra R8000 groupset, Mavic Cosmic carbon wheels and an integrated aerobar. Delivered without any hassle. The bike was easy to set up and is an absolute joy to ride. Di2 is so easy to use although mechanical Ultegra is also very good.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Personally, I'd get a sub £2,000 bike and throw R8050 or eTap at it along with some decent wheels.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • drexel1975 wrote:
    I’ve recently bought a Canyon ultimate CF SLX 8.0Di2 which came in at £3799. Ultegra R8000 groupset, Mavic Cosmic carbon wheels and an integrated aerobar. Delivered without any hassle. The bike was easy to set up and is an absolute joy to ride. Di2 is so easy to use although mechanical Ultegra is also very good.
    That is the bike I'm looking at if I went Canyon.
    Are you happy with the fit? Did you use their Perfect Positioning System or something else (there's a place near where I work that does provide a Canyon fitting - it's a £120 and I'm not sure if it's money well spent or the Canyon guide work work just as well?)
  • I did reply to this. I bought a colnago c59 with Di2 and zipp 303s for considerably less than that and I would strongly encourage you to look at used bikes.

Sacrilidge I know but someone is selling a Dura ace colnago c60 in showroom condition for 3,900. Some of these used bikes have barely been ridden and are available for a steal. With a lot of patience and some time you can get an absolute steal on the used market if you know what you want which I guess you have a rough idea of if you have owned a bike already.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 0563300451

Thank you. I did see your original message when first posted - I just couldn't reply before the website went wrong! I have started looking at a few other options and spent too much time last night looking if I could afford a new Colnago frameset and have it built up.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    A friend of mine has the orca and he really loves it. I used to have also the Avant H30 (alu endurance 105) and i was pleased too, but on your money is possible to get Bianchi Oltre XR3, a stunning aero bike with lots of comfort.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    If you're considering Canyon it's worth having a look at Rose too. They're probably a bit cheaper than the equivalent Canyons and have more options for customisation. The new X Lites look great.
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bi ... -lite-six/
  • shirley_basso
    My issue with canyon is that while they are undoubtedly awesome bikes, they don't really have the appeal of some of the more 'exotic' brands, to me at least. I won't wax lyrical about Italian this and hand made that because it's mostly marketing nonsense, but at 4K you're into dream bike territory if you go used and Canyon to me doesn't say dream bike.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I'd probably get this if you are a 61. So so tempted to myself so please buy it so that I can stop thinking about it.
    https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott ... 17-p314528
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    OP, I'm in a similar position, looking at similar bikes - although trying to set myself a budget of £3500.

Currently looking at the Cervelo R3 disc with mech Ultegra. I can't justify to myself Di2 and figure I can always upgrade. I'm a disc fan, so it's a no brainer.

I've also considered the Trek, the Canyon Ultimate SLX 8.0 and Focus Izalco Max.

I'm going for a bike fitting next week and will see with the fitter which works best.

Out of interest, given the bikes you've flagged, is the bike shop you're looking at Swift Cycles in the City? Currently where I'm planning on doing my bike fitting. They seem a bit more down to earth than Bespoke - although Bespoke's professionalism is impressive.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    MrB123 wrote:
    If you're considering Canyon it's worth having a look at Rose too. They're probably a bit cheaper than the equivalent Canyons and have more options for customisation. The new X Lites look great.
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bi ... -lite-six/
    Agree with this.
    Have pretty much decided that next year I am going to splurge the cash on an X Lite 6. Have a year to decide whether to be sensible a get the Ultergra Di2, or spend another £1k for DA or ETap.
  • Thigh_burn wrote:
    OP, I'm in a similar position, looking at similar bikes - although trying to set myself a budget of £3500.

Currently looking at the Cervelo R3 disc with mech Ultegra. I can't justify to myself Di2 and figure I can always upgrade. I'm a disc fan, so it's a no brainer.

I've also considered the Trek, the Canyon Ultimate SLX 8.0 and Focus Izalco Max.

I'm going for a bike fitting next week and will see with the fitter which works best.

Out of interest, given the bikes you've flagged, is the bike shop you're looking at Swift Cycles in the City? Currently where I'm planning on doing my bike fitting. They seem a bit more down to earth than Bespoke - although Bespoke's professionalism is impressive.
    Yes, Swift cycles. It's where I got my Focus from and on the whole I think they're quite good.
    I like the idea of Bespoke. What puts me off is that although they do a comprehensive fit, I don't think you get to ride the bike before you purchase it. I think they are primarily about fitting, and can do the order and set-up, rather than being a bike shop per se. At least that's how I understand it.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Something worth thinking about re online only retailers, which is obvious really but you don't think about it too much until you need to do it... Do you have a second bike or can you live with missing out a couple of weeks riding if something goes wrong and you need to return it? I have a Rose and they are great value, customer service is good etc but it is so annoying having to organise shipping it back to them and then making sure you're home when it's returned. I ended up getting my second bike from Evans and the ability to go back there with any problems has been a god send. I wouldn't rule out Rose or Canyon etc in the future if they had something that was head and shoulders above the rest, but I'd definitely think about it and look for an alternative first.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I'd probably get this if you are a 61. So so tempted to myself so please buy it so that I can stop thinking about it.
    https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott ... 17-p314528

Has that not gone yet? I posted it in the bargains thread ages ago. Lovely bike.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    I think they are primarily about fitting, and can do the order and set-up, rather than being a bike shop per se. At least that's how I understand it.

I know what you mean, but I think they are a proper shop if you're going super high end, or a few off the peg brands incl Cannondale, Trek and Cervelo.

I am torn between the two shops, but somehow feel like Swift may need the business more, on the LBS use it or lose it basis. Can you report back on what your decision is and why you opted for it pls?
  • cougie wrote:
    You really need to get out and ride them if you're spending 4k

You really don't need to.

Agreed. You really don't need to.

If you can and want to, fine, but in 25 years of cycling and racing, I've never test-ridden a bike.

As long as you know your required geometries and it;s purpose, you can pretty safely go off reviews, recommendations and tech’ spec. There’s far too many variables between one test bike and another, so unless you’re riding them all with the same wheels, tyres and pressures etc, the differences you feel between top-end bikes is barely quantifiable.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    And there's plenty of people on here that have bought unsuitable / uncomfy bikes and have to sell them on at a loss.
    That''d easy be 2 grand for a few rides.

The OP was talking about bikes that his LBS had in - so why wouldn't you ride them ?

I appreciate it's different for mail order but the extra VFM might sway it.
  • shirley_basso
    I disagree. At £4k I'd want a test ride.

The OP has a pretty nice bike (Focus Cayo Evo) and if you were spending 4K, you'd want a considerable, if totally subjective upgrade.

When I was shopping around I rode a few bikes and while none were crap, they all felt different and much to my frustration, the one I wanted the most didn't really feel like much of an upgrade from my outgoing bike.
  • drexel1975 wrote:
    I’ve recently bought a Canyon ultimate CF SLX 8.0Di2 which came in at £3799. Ultegra R8000 groupset, Mavic Cosmic carbon wheels and an integrated aerobar. Delivered without any hassle. The bike was easy to set up and is an absolute joy to ride. Di2 is so easy to use although mechanical Ultegra is also very good.
    That is the bike I'm looking at if I went Canyon.
    Are you happy with the fit? Did you use their Perfect Positioning System or something else (there's a place near where I work that does provide a Canyon fitting - it's a £120 and I'm not sure if it's money well spent or the Canyon guide work work just as well?)

I used the Perfect Positioning System on the website and went for an XS, I’m only 170cm, and the fit is great. Really cannot fault the service I got from Canyon or the bike.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Get this https://masoncycles.cc/products/resolution-rolling-chassis plus this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-red-etap-2x11-hydraulic-groupset/rp-prod156347 which will leave you about £800 for a chainset and finishing kit (bars, stem, cassette, tyres, bar tape, bottle cages and pedals).

If you join British Cycling too (£39) you can get 10% off the eTap saving you an extra £86 when you take into account the cost of the BC membership.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • I disagree. At £4k I'd want a test ride.

The OP has a pretty nice bike (Focus Cayo Evo) and if you were spending 4K, you'd want a considerable, if totally subjective upgrade.

When I was shopping around I rode a few bikes and while none were crap, they all felt different and much to my frustration, the one I wanted the most didn't really feel like much of an upgrade from my outgoing bike.
    You’ve hit the nail on the head in that for £4K I want to feel it’s a considerable upgrade. This may be easier said than done due to the subjectivity of it all. Hence why I think I currently favour ultegra Di2 over mechanical dura ace as the electronic shifting is a tangible difference to what I have now.

I think in line with some of the other posts my preference is to buy in person both due to the ability to have a test ride but also the practicalities for anything post sale. Will definitely not rule out online at this point, but will probably try LBS first.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Something Cervelo based in last year's colours so its got a massive discount.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • You’ve hit the nail on the head in that for £4K I want to feel it’s a considerable upgrade.

Is someone going to tell him
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Buy what floats your boat - at 4k there are probably no bad bikes.
    I've had di2 and have gone back to mechanical - I work with computers all day long, I don't need that technology on my bikes.

Personally, I'd buy a CAAD12 ultegra and put some tubeless Reynolds assaults on it. Then spend the rest of the money on something else - like a new turbo, new bike computer, new groupset for the winter bike or new clothes so I can ride all year round.

Ah wait, that's what I did.
  • I decided to build my dream bike (Scott Foil Premium HMX) acquiring the parts separately. The only thing I bought used was the frame module (frame, aero bars and seat post) and it was in as new condition. Groupset, saddle and wheels all brand new - Dura Ace R9100 (mechanical) and a set of Wheelsmith aero wheels on Hope hubs and its cost me about 3k all in. Granted it took a few months to complete as I was buying parts as and when they became available at heavy discount, but I'd find it hard to justify buying a complete bike like this new.

If you're willing to drop 4k in one go then good on you, but as said already there are some cracking deals out there on (barely) used bikes and frames. However, I'd still be wary of buying used and ensure the buyer can vouch for its provenance etc.

Great position you're in though!
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • kofsw4
    kofsw4 Posts: 39
    I treated myself to a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 Di2 for my 40th about 18 months ago. I had a very similar budget and it came in at £3800 with some great Reynolds wheels. I've ridden it about 5,000km and haven't since seen another bike I'd rather have.

By the way, Canyon have a service centre in Chessington so you don't have to send it back to Germany if anything goes wrong.

I got an email saying they're doing a test ride thing this weekend at Mercedes Benz world in Surrey where you can ride the bikes.
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    I just ordered my aeroad cf slx 9.0 with mechanical dura ace. I was intending to buy the ultegra di2 but that's not an option for me(whoever chose the bike range for Canyon USA are fucking idiots). One advice with canyon is to go get a guru bike fit, that allows you to get a sense of the bike geometry, so you don't have to guess on the size. Cost about $100 for me but maybe more or less for you, I think it's worth it because if you order the wrong size you'd be wasting money on shipping.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    You’ve hit the nail on the head in that for £4K I want to feel it’s a considerable upgrade.

Is someone going to tell him

Who am I to break his dreams?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.