The definitive, the one and only... BB Real, actual racing thread

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    Pinno wrote:
    Anyway, the Giro is already delivering. It's by far the best GT.
    Is it an astonishingly excellent GT, the bigliest GT?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    orraloon wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Anyway, the Giro is already delivering. It's by far the best GT.
    Is it an astonishingly excellent GT, the bigliest GT?

The Giro is always good. I don't know if this one is going to be an even better edition but it's hotting up already.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    What was that whooshing sound?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Deep wheels?
  • pinno
    Yates. What a star. Sort of Contadorish without being wobbly. What a Giro. I just hope that 2.11 gap does not evaporate on Tuesday. Although, he may have some chances after Tuesday if it does. I'm sure he has the confidence and the measure of Dumoulin on the lumpy bits.

The ITT on stage 16 is not pan flat but a headwind along the valley could be crucial and favouring TD.

Stages 18, 19 and 20 suit Yates. Perhaps a measured TT from him even if it puts the Maglia Rosa on TD's shoulders temporarily.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Innit though?
  • pinno
    Yates; what tf happened?

Mind you, I never imagined a breakaway on that scale over that terrain in the modern era. It even eclipses Gilbert's Flanders win.

I wonder what Froome has left in the tank for tomorrow, The could be another twist.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    That was awesome.
    And if it can be held, epic.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon wrote:
    Yeah, that was a good stage to watch. Will Yates regret the foregone bonus seconds further on?
    Ah well, know the answer to that now.
  • pblakeney
    Mitchelton-Scott really need to look at their endurance/nutrition/recovery/rest day strategy.
    Something is clearly amiss.

I really don't want to go down the everyone else is doing something "different" route.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • hopkinb
    Watched the last 20 km live. GC kind of fizzled out.
  • pinno
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mitchelton-Scott really need to look at their endurance/nutrition/recovery/rest day strategy.
    Something is clearly amiss.

I really don't want to go down the everyone else is doing something "different" route.

Yates has faded previously towards the end of a stage race more than once. I think youth is his enemy at the moment. There's no doubt about his talent. I think he blew up chasing Dumoulin when he should have paced himself.

There's also the fact that a Stronger Mitchelton Scott team could have protected Yates more and chased Froome. If MS had chased Froome than the rest of the contending teams would have had to respond. A fragmented peloton with only Sunweb really chasing was more likely going to allow Froome to slip away.
  • pblakeney
    I'd say that this Giro came down to individuals as sprinters aside the teams made little difference.
    Sky going hard at the beginning on Friday maybe but still such a lot to do. Well, 80km to be precise.
    My point was that out of the 3 extreme blow ups two came from MS.
    Pacing maybe in a 3 week tour, although Chaves barely managed more than one.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    Dot watching season is upon us. Not Pro racing I know but the TransAtlantic Way Dublin to Cork the long 2,500km way round is on now, started yesterday.

The distances these (non gender specific) guys put in on a daily basis is just like totally awesome dude.

https://dotwatcher.cc/race/7n0p3M67eg4GMKcQkq0kKy
  • orraloon
    Bleepin' L. I will not be working, out of the country, or committed to some cannot-be-changed family stuff when the OVO Women's Tour passes within easy reach on Thursday's stage. Result. So me n Mrs O will bike ourselves over there and see Pro riders for real.

Now then. Where is my lime green mankini and stuffed pig, for the cameras and that, you know...?
  • hopkinb
    orraloon wrote:
    Dot watching season is upon us. Not Pro racing I know but the TransAtlantic Way Dublin to Cork the long 2,500km way round is on now, started yesterday.

The distances these (non gender specific) guys put in on a daily basis is just like totally awesome dude.

https://dotwatcher.cc/race/7n0p3M67eg4GMKcQkq0kKy
    Fella occasionally on communting was doing this. Unfortunately he started it ill and had to scratch after > 1000km.
  • hopkinb
    I think I'm doing a day trip to lille and then roubaix to watch end of stage 9 of the TDF. The cobbly one.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    hopkinb wrote:
    I think I'm doing a day trip to lille and then roubaix to watch end of stage 9 of the TDF. The cobbly one.
    Nice!
  • hopkinb
    Eurostar to lille is 1hr 30. Then a 20 min metro to roubaix. Sure we can find somewhere to stand, drink dubbels and eat that beef stew and chips.
  • pblakeney
    TLW1 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Nice!
    No, it is missing out the riviera this year. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    hopkinb wrote:
    ... drink dubbels and eat that beef stew and chips.

True to form Hoppy.
  • hopkinb
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    ... drink dubbels and eat that beef stew and chips.

True to form Hoppy.

Yep, there might be some skinny men on bikes, but I'm there for the grub. :D
  • pinno
    edited June 2018
    Ah, I see; the more you cycle, the more you can eat. It's a good idea.
    Have you got a credit system? You know, if you want a low fat yoghurt - put your cycle shoes on. If you want a full roast with all the trimmings and Port followed by Rhubarb Crumble an d custard - you'll book yourself in for the Dragon ride?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Pinno wrote:
    Ah, I see; the more you cycle, the more you can eat. It's a good idea.
    Have you got a credit system? You know, if you want a low fat yoghurt - put your cycle shoes on. If you want a full roast with all the trimmings and Port followed by Rhubarb Crumple an d custard - you'll book yourself in for the Dragon ride?
    It kinda works for me as I stuff my face on the days that I ride into work. I think Hoppy rides in every day? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Hoppy has to. Ha ha.
  • hopkinb
    Hoppy wants to. Means he can eat everything. With crumbled pork scratchings on top.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    hopkinb wrote:
    Hoppy wants to. Means he can eat everything. With crumbled pork scratchings on top.
    Would you like a waffeur thin mint, monsieur? :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Fcuk off, I'm absolutely stuffed, I couldn't eat another thing. :D
  • pinno
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Fcuk off, I'm absolutely stuffed, I couldn't eat another thing. :D

It's only a waffeur thin mint...
  • orraloon
    Again not 'proper' pro type racing but.. There's a guy Michael Broadwith currently going for an attempt to break the LEJOG record time. Started 0830 Friday, targeting to finish 0231 Sunday morning. Yip, 42 hours... :shock:

https://frrt.org/endtoend2018/

Currently 39 mins ahead of schedule.

Oh, and has Steve Abraham in his support crew.

Good luck fella.