Carbon handle bars, which though?

davey.davey
davey.davey Posts: 89
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

As the title suggests im after some carbon bars for my supersix evo. The standard ones are pretty ugly, heavy, and i want a change.

I quite like the look of the aero style , has anyone got any recommendations that they use themselves .

The 3T team stealth aeronova and aerotunda bars look nice, also easton ec70 look decent .

Oh yeah matte black with few/ no decals :D

Cheers for any suggestions

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Planet X have a deal on their Selcof aero ones at the moment.

Look cool, down to a relatively sensible price, fit your criteria above and should be of good quality.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ive looked at them before , nice bars, i just dont like the look of them as the above mentioned though.

Thanks for the suggestion though
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Any particular reason for wanting carbon as a bar material?
  • No real reason, i presume they are lighter!? Plus dont think you can get the aero bars in Ali!?

Only just started looking tbh, just always assumed carbon was superior?
  • imposter2.0
    I think the weight difference is negligible - and aero/wing bars are certainly available in alu.
  • Ok thanks.

Would the carbon bars be more comfortable, ie soak up more road vibrations?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Ok thanks.

I believe so but others would disagree. E.g. YMMV :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • imposter2.0
    Ok thanks.

In cycling folklore, carbon bars do indeed 'soak up more vibrations' - but in reality, I'm not sure if physics agrees with that. Bar tape and tyre width/pressure have far more influence on ride quality than bar material.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Some CF bars are heavier. Certainly more expensive. If they take a knock they need to be replaced and if you come off the bike the bars pretty much always take a hit...

Stick to Alu.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    3T Aeronova come in carbon and aluminium. I have them in carbon on the main bike and find them comfortable. I have aluminium bars on the 2nd bike and other than the lack of flat tops, there's no difference in feel.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Imposter wrote:
    Ok thanks.

In cycling folklore, carbon bars do indeed 'soak up more vibrations' - but in reality, I'm not sure if physics agrees with that. Bar tape and tyre width/pressure have far more influence on ride quality than bar material.

What he said.

I’m a sucker for bling but the carbon bar is pointless. Match it with a good quality aluminium stem like a Ritchie 220 WCS or a Deda Superleggero and you’ll end up with a similar weight to carbon and a much healthier wallet.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Fenix wrote:
    Some CF bars are heavier. Certainly more expensive. If they take a knock they need to be replaced and if you come off the bike the bars pretty much always take a hit...

Stick to Alu.
    Alu bars aren't immune from having to be replaced if they take a hit, although it's certainly cheaper to do so. They are also less likely to spontaneously fail without a crash (not that this is especially common in alu bars, but metal fatigue can happen eventually).

I had some hand me down carbon bars (Pro Vibe) for a time, they were lovely, but not (to me) worth what I could get for selling them on. I do kinda wish I still had them.

They were most definitely lighter than the alu equivalent (220g vs 285g), and had internal cable routing so you didn't have to faff around with electrical tape securing your cables into place - you just threaded them through and the bar tape was enough to do the rest.

I couldn't tell you if they were more comfy than an equivalent alu bar, but they certainly were comfy.

Honestly, if you have a high end bike and have bought all the easier weight savings that are available, or just plain want a bit more bling, it might be worth investing.

I'd fully agree that Carbon Fibre stems and bottlecages are a complete waste of money though.
  • Thanks for the replies.

Ive just bought a 3t team stealth apto stem , probably paid too much for a stem but i am very picky and love my bike ha!

I just want the best bars for my money thats all, not overly bothered of the material.

Will keep looking thanks everyone!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Ritchey Evocurve range available in carbon and aluminium, weights from 195gm to 250 gm.
    I use the aliminium ones, nice with the flatter tops.
  • ollaay
    ollaay Posts: 166
    I've a pair of Zipp carbon SL V2, sub 200g and soak up some of the vibrations I must admit. Worth it on something you love, as you'll only be upgrading later on..
  • I put a set of 3T Aeronova bars on my Planet X when I switched out the TT bars. They look awesome. Whether they were worth the money is debatable, but I love them. On a side note it was my first attempt at internally cabled bars. There was much swearing involved...
  • Matthewfalle
    I put a set of 3T Aeronova bars on my Planet X when I switched out the TT bars. They look awesome. Whether they were worth the money is debatable, but I love them. On a side note it was my first attempt at internally cabled bars. There was much swearing involved...

WHY much swearing?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Hi,

As the title suggests im after some carbon bars for my supersix evo. The standard ones are pretty ugly, heavy, and i want a change.

I quite like the look of the aero style , has anyone got any recommendations that they use themselves .

The 3T team stealth aeronova and aerotunda bars look nice, also easton ec70 look decent .

Oh yeah matte black with few/ no decals :D

Cheers for any suggestions

The Dale ones aren't great lookin but you can't see most of them. As to heavy, they are, but not massive. About 100g more than a carbon bar. The Dead Superlegerro will save you about 120g for example.

In terms of value, the Fizik R3 will save you 60g, looks nice and won't break the bank. Partner it with a Fizik stem and it all looks really great.

Deda Zero 100 is worth a look. That with its matching stem and a carbon Deda post. Sorted
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Juraj1711
    Juraj1711 Posts: 29
    I ride zipp sl contour and fsa k-force-they are both very good indeed.
    Fsa maybe little bit stiffer.
  • Thanks for all the replies.

Im gonna go for the 3t aerotundo, i like the longer reach and deep drops, got great reviews. Plus they will look sweet with my new 3t Apto stealth stem.

My bikefit told i need 42cm width bars for my size, but have read these bars come up even narrower on the hoods. Could anyone who has experience with these bars tell me if they went for their normal size? Or go up a size to compensate for the flared width?

Im currently riding on 44cm bars
  • Juraj1711
    Juraj1711 Posts: 29
    Thanks for all the replies.

Im gonna go for the 3t aerotundo, i like the longer reach and deep drops, got great reviews. Plus they will look sweet with my new 3t Apto stealth stem.

My bikefit told i need 42cm width bars for my size, but have read these bars come up even narrower on the hoods. Could anyone who has experience with these bars tell me if they went for their normal size? Or go up a size to compensate for the flared width?

If you are you good with that size and feel comfy stay with that!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Juraj1711 wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies.

If you are you good with that size and feel comfy stay with that!

Then there's very little point in paying for a bike fit if you're just going to ignore the recommendations.
  • StillGoing
    They do come up narrow on the hoods and you will nee to go up to 44cm to compensate. You may find it tight going for the narrower 42cm bars. FWIW, I originally had Aerotundo and just couldn't get on with them. I switched to the Aeronova which are much better IMO.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    They do come up narrow on the hoods and you will nee to go up to 44cm to compensate. You may find it tight going for the narrower 42cm bars. FWIW, I originally had Aerotundo and just couldn't get on with them. I switched to the Aeronova which are much better IMO.

What did you not like about the aerotundo? And what made the aeronova much better for you? As far as i can tell, the reach is longer and the drops are lower, but apart from that theyre the same!?

I keep swaying between the tundo and Nova, just cant decide :?
  • Matthewfalle
    philthy3 wrote:

What did you not like about the aerotundo? And what made the aeronova much better for you? As far as i can tell, the reach is longer and the drops are lower, but apart from that theyre the same!?

Just buy both, try them both, send the ones you don't like back.

It's a 10 minute job to swap handlebars.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:

The Aeronova are a compact bar whereas the Aerotundo are a full D. It looked awful on my bike and they just didn't feel as comfortable on the drops. The reach to the shifters from the drops was more difficult too.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited March 2021
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I just built up a Merida Team Lampre and put on Vision Metron 4D carbon bars. Not cheap but love the design and they are very comfortable.
    Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work in Ladbrokes
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    You should check out Canyon bars , Mathieu van der Poel swears by them.
  • imposter2.0
    dowtcha said:

You should check out Canyon bars , Mathieu van der Poel swears by them.

Swears *at* them...