Staying warm in man cave!!

vinnymarsden
vinnymarsden Posts: 560
I have recently been struck down and I mean totally laid low by a severe viral infection, leading to hospitalisation and a severe bout of Pneumonia. Whilst I wont lay it at the door of training in a VERY cold garage, I'm sure my condition wasn't helped by that environment.
We have duly moved house whilst I have been in hospital, and the new one has a detached garage.Having an insulated electric garage door fitted next week, and hopefully a slow, progressive return to indoor/turbo stuff.
My question is...how do others keep warm in that environment, I thought I was okay at the old house, but can see now, the harsh biting cold, meeting a sweat soaked torso etc probably didn't help me at all.
Like fans are recommended in summer, would a small heater work? Do others amongst us use a heater? I am rather apprehensive as I have NO desire whatsoever to revisit this illness EVER again.
Any thoughts/ideas will be much appreciated.
Cheers

Vinny

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well what do you do when it's cold outside ? You put on extra kit.

Personally my garage is pretty cold and I have Three fans to cool me. I don't want heating in there.
    Take your time getting back into it. Lots of people have had bugs and I'd not blame the temperature for it.
  • Probably not much help but in your shoes I'd have the turbo indoors to start off with. Hope the recovery goes well.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Is it not an option to warm the garage up with a heater first and then train. As long as the house you go back to is also warm and hot water ready for a shower I’d have thought would do it?
    Or an option to just go to spin classes until the weather is a bit warmer? As I travel with work I joined a national gym with wattbikes and stages bikes, not cheap but keeps me warm.
  • Not sure how you can get a viral infection from a cold garage

Training while ill probably made your symptoms worsen

Seems a good enough reason to ditch the turbo and cycle outside
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    These viral illnesses are extremely common this year. I’ve had a virus, chest infection and pneumonia. My brother in law has had the same and been hospitalised, as has one of my workmates.

The cold garage probably doesn’t have anything to do with it. When I use the turbo in my man cave outside I have the door wide open and a fan on me too, no matter how cold it is.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Man cave. :)
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you need the heating on whilst you turbo you're doing something very wrong.

Well that or training to race abroad.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have a detached garage, which also houses a climbing wall as well as the turbo. I have tried heating it with fan heaters and an oil storage heater for when I’m climbing in there but all they are good for is warming my fingers. I was advised that a butane gas heater was the way to go but I’ve stuck with layering clothing wise and sticking my hands on the heater.
    Turbo wise, I warm up without the fan on usually with a fleece on, I then get rid of the fleece and turn the fan on. I will turn the fan off during a rest if I feel my torso is feeling chilled. I always turn the fan off during my warm down.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    wear a hoodie and track pants during the warm-up and then remove once warm. Unless you live in -10 degree conditions, I doubt your 5 degree garage was responsible for the severity of the illness. Sucking in really cold air can be an issue no matter how warm your core temp.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    As above, start off with a jacket on and pull it off once you start feeling warmer. Ideally you also have your fan set up in such a way that you can knock it on once you start needing it.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I just go in with bib tights, winter socks, thickish jersey, decent jacket, and if it's extremely cold, long finger gloves, so basically what I would wear to ride outside, with the exception of a helmet ;-)

I have never felt the need for a hat or beanie, but you could consider it I guess.

I have two fans remotely switchable, so just wait until I am warm enough to ditch the jacket, and maybe swap to mitts, and then utilise one or both fans. When nearing the end of the workout, will cut one or both fans, don the jacket, and step off the bike and go inside to stretch, shower/rehydrate. Will be doing exactly this tomorrow lunchtime, think it's subzero tomorrow.

Planning a ramp (my first) test on Sunday, meant to be -5 here I think.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I’ve been taking one or two extra cycling jerseys out with me to my garage . I change into a fresh dry one after the first 40 minutes or so. I really sweat even in the garage but the change of jersey stops the build up of ‘cold sweat ‘ . Cycling jerseys best as fully unzip and v easy to remove/ change into.
    Agree with diy re wearing a hoodie as good to wear initially for warm up and to wear straight after finishing.
    I bought a great floor fan to help me stay cool. In hindsight I should have bought one with a remote control so could switch it on remotely once warmed up which usually takes no more than 5 mins. Couldn’t envisage indoors as would be too hot for me.
    BW
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    @Molteni

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NMD4QL6/ref=twister_B01MQY9U41?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    71a9CcRlWWL._SX856_.jpg

You can't buy a decent sized (18" + blades) floorfan in the UK with remote, for less than £200, believe me I looked.

There's a perfect Stanley one which has 3 speeds, all controllable from the remote, but only sold in the US :-(

Can be ordered from ebay for about £90, or for £115 from Amazon, but no idea about wattages, amps (any bright spark know?) and the cost of suitable converters.
    Told them if they sold it here, they would likely sell a ton of them.
    If you google Lasko 655650 it comes up I think.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • @vinnymarsden, bloody hell, that sounds rough, hope you recover fully!

I turbo in a brick outhouse (in Scotland, where it gets cold!). When it's subzero outside I have a fan heater to take it up from maybe 2 degrees to 7 or 8 degrees then I'm good to go and it gets switched off. At best it's 10 or 12 degrees most winter evenings inside the outhouse, which is an ideal temperature for turbo training I think.

After a few minutes and into the first proper interval I'm down to base layer plus thin long sleeve jersey with an industrial fan right in my face. My legs and feet are well wrapped in winter tights/boots as they do get cold otherwise.

I'm advised on good authority that the old wives' tale of getting a bad virus from cold or damp conditions is just that. Cold and damp can exacerbate symptoms once you're in a weakened state and/or your immune system is already compromised but in such times you shouldn't be training anyway.

I do get very sweaty when turbo training and with the ambient temperature being so low my skin can feel very cold to the touch but given my body's need to cool down at that point, it's only a good thing. I just make sure to put my jacket back on immediately after the workout or even during the cool-down at the end.

Good luck with your recovery.
  • Thanks Borders...

I didn't/haven't trained at all since the illness struck. I have my completely rebuilt "best" bike with brand new 9100 Dura Ace taunting me from the garage..ridden about 200yds since I built it up in late January!!
    I'm writing off any intense training this winter, I will, in the next 2 weeks hopefully get back on the turbo, very gently and ease my way into spring with a reduced expectation of hitting it really hard this year! I had planned a trip abroad, but that was based on a solid winters training, which obviously isn't happening.
    The consultant at the hospital says 6-8weeks to feel fully okay and then maybe a month or 2 more before you are fully 100% again!!
    I do understand the old wives tales about being cold/catching cold, it's just, never having been so ill, ever in my life, I am very apprehensive about contracting anything else!! I'm 57, recovery is a lot slower as you get older, I assure you !!

Thanks for all the comments re the cave.I will approach it with due diligence, and maybe wear several layers to start, easier to remove than never be warm from the off.
  • Great shout Daniel B thank you. I’ve not seen those sockets before. Not a bad price either. Good investment cos want 5 minutes or so to warm up. Will purchase BW.