Lighter weight, or disc brakes, bigger benefit?

Comments

• naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    ajdobbin wrote:
    Just to give some background, ive been riding for just under 6 months with a tiagra, rim braked aluminium bike at around 8.8kg.

I live in Cornwall so am becoming quite adept with riding hills, although sometimes the descents can be quite hairy on narrow, dirty country lanes.

I weigh 72kg.

Im looking at a couple of Canyon models, the Ultimate CF SLX with Ultegra 6800, rim brakes and weighing in at 6.7kg (in their outlet)

or

The Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0 Disc with Ultegra 8000 weighing in at 7.5kg.

Which bike do you think im more likely to get more of a benefit from? The lighter rim brake model, or heavier disc one?

Be interested to hear your opinions.

Have yet to find a bike manufacturer who revels a complete build TRUE weight. You're planning to buy from the same manufacturer (Canyon), so the weight difference from one bike to another goes the same way... Off.

If weight is important to you, bear in mind that the outlet Ultimates are version 8.0. Now think like this:

If Canyon says their Ultimate 9.0 PRO, with Campag wheels and Record group weights 6400 gr in size M (which certainly is off by some margin - and without pedals), how come an Ultimate 8.0 with Ultegra only weights 300gr more?

You have a 320gr difference from Ultegra to Record. Bear in mind all the other components!

You mention your weight but not your height. If you are a fit guy, with 72kg you are probably around 1,80. If you are that tall, you will probably need an L frame, so more weight on top of that.

Of course you are adding weight on both bikes, be it rim or disc, but again, if weight is your thing I'll advise you to not trust in manufacturers weight claims, more if you are comparing 2 different manufacturers, which is not the case.

Test drive them both would be ideal for you to decide. If not, go with the one you like more. For me, rims. But I live in a sunny country and only ride indoors when raining. You can be a different kind of guy.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,629
    Personally I'd go for the disc one as you're getting new Ultegra.
    Or save up for the CF SLX disc.
    Or get the new Rose XLite disc instead so I could choose to have a compact rather then the semi-compacts that Canyon put on all their bikes now.
  • Well, another way to look at it is this. The SLX frameset is £2199. The wheels have an RRP of £1200.

The bike is £2,429.

That's a hell of a saving..........
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Disc brakes are for nancy boys.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • naavt wrote:
    ajdobbin wrote:
    Just to give some background, ive been riding for just under 6 months with a tiagra, rim braked aluminium bike at around 8.8kg.

I live in Cornwall so am becoming quite adept with riding hills, although sometimes the descents can be quite hairy on narrow, dirty country lanes.

I weigh 72kg.

Im looking at a couple of Canyon models, the Ultimate CF SLX with Ultegra 6800, rim brakes and weighing in at 6.7kg (in their outlet)

or

The Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0 Disc with Ultegra 8000 weighing in at 7.5kg.

Which bike do you think im more likely to get more of a benefit from? The lighter rim brake model, or heavier disc one?

You mention your weight but not your height. If you are a fit guy, with 72kg you are probably around 1,80. If you are that tall, you will probably need an L frame, so more weight on top of that.

Test drive them both would be ideal for you to decide. If not, go with the one you like more. For me, rims. But I live in a sunny country and only ride indoors when raining. You can be a different kind of guy.

Pretty close yeah (184cm) so you’re right in that i’ll be looking at L. As it’s Canyon, a test ride is unfortunately not an option (well, would be a pricey option, that included flights to Germany...)

Maybe i’ll try to find another bike with similar geometry in the shops near to me, just to give me a very rough idea.

Aesthetically they look pretty much identical, apart from the wheels (the tiny bits of yellow on the SLX Mavic wheels look nice against the black) but that’s not enough to sway my decision one way or the other.

I wish I lived in a sunny country, but saying that hopefully the worst of winter is almost behind us in the UK! The thought of the weather improving during the coming months is making me think rim brakes, but thinking longer term I’m gonna be riding in many more winters to come so disc brakes (and the newer Ultegra) might just be influencing my choice now.

And financially this will be my only bike purchase for a loooooong time so want to get it right!
    It’s a tough decision!
  • Well, another way to look at it is this. The SLX frameset is £2199. The wheels have an RRP of £1200.

The bike is £2,429.

That's a hell of a saving..........

Originally being from the north of england im all up for saving money! And when you put it that way it does seem a pretty good deal.
  • Adding lightness has no detrimental effect re: complexity.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    ajdobbin wrote:

With dirty road surfaces, why would you want any perceived additional braking power? More chance for a front end lock up and wash out. I'd go Exalith rims and the lighter bike.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    philthy3 wrote:
    ajdobbin wrote:

With dirty road surfaces, why would you want any perceived additional braking power? More chance for a front end lock up and wash out. I'd go Exalith rims and the lighter bike.

LoL man! i guess that the MTBers are idiots too since they use disc brakes.

The only negatives that disc brake have is the weight penalty and the price. Nothing else.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    YiannisM wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ajdobbin wrote:

The only negatives that disc brake have is the weight penalty and the price. Nothing else.

Well lets consider that we roadies use slicks and not treaded tyres, that we ride on concrete/tarmac which is a teeny weeny bit harder than mud and the OP is already stating that their descending is iffy on dirty surfaces.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • naavt
    YiannisM wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ajdobbin wrote:

Mountain Biking is also about skiding and that’s an all different world from road riding.
    I’m trying to figure out what’s the correlation between these 2 very different kinds of riding picking your exemple on discs benefits, but I’m having some difficulty getting there, much due to what Philthy3 just wrote above.

I think discs makes sense on gravel bikes and that’s the reason why (unless you’re a roadie like Brumotti of course)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    Mountain biking is not about skidding - If you're skidding when braking you're doing it wrong. Discs are generally about better modulation (note: I have not ridden Exalith rims so cannot directly compare, and am comparing against normal alu rims) rather than outright power, allowing you to brake harder without locking up, making them better on crappy road surfaces.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Agreed MTB'ing is about control and that means not skidding....that being said i do really really enjoy skidding, great fun!
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    ajdobbin wrote:

I weigh 72kg.

Im looking at a couple of Canyon models, the Ultimate CF SLX with Ultegra 6800, rim brakes and weighing in at 6.7kg (in their outle

As some posts have alluded to skidding I reiterate my last reply. If you learn to shift your body weight around to the rear etc when braking, this will greatly enhance your existing rim brakes performance on the current bike. As your not very experienced you may not fully benifit from a new bike anyway? Put a bit more time in and get more riding done. Save yourself a bit of bike choosing stress and money. Well at least until you really, absolutely have to get that new bike!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i have just ridden 60 m around the lanes and roads of Cornwall and West Devon and i m still alive, how the fcuk did i menage this feat without disc's who knows, one of lives great mystery's

mtb ing and road riding styles are not comparable.

Personally, i d get the bike that you can fit 32mm tires or bigger on because the roads are fcuking shitte, long sections are just getting washed away, its no longer about big pot holes any more.
  • kirkee wrote:
    As some posts have alluded to skidding I reiterate my last reply. If you learn to shift your body weight around to the rear etc when braking, this will greatly enhance your existing rim brakes performance on the current bike. As your not very experienced you may not fully benifit from a new bike anyway? Put a bit more time in and get more riding done. Save yourself a bit of bike choosing stress and money. Well at least until you really, absolutely have to get that new bike!

I really have to get a new bike! Seriously though, I respect your opinion as you clearly have a lot more experience than me, but I’ve really bitten the bug when it come to road biking.

The bikes actually in for a proper service next week (winter has given it a bit of a beating) so i’ll see how it’s riding after that and factor that in to my decision.
  • mamba80 wrote:
    i have just ridden 60 m around the lanes and roads of Cornwall and West Devon and i m still alive, how the fcuk did i menage this feat without disc's who knows, one of lives great mystery's

Personally, i d get the bike that you can fit 32mm tires or bigger on because the roads are fcuking shitte, long sections are just getting washed away, its no longer about big pot holes any more.

Just got back from a 60+ ride myself, up around Bodmin Moor. You’re right, the state of some of the roads, even the B roads are getting beyond a joke.

Keeps things ‘interesting’ I suppose.....
  • What's your current bike?
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    ajdobbin wrote:
    kirkee wrote:

I really have to get a new bike! Seriously though, I respect your opinion as you clearly have a lot more experience than me, but I’ve really bitten the bug when it come to road biking.

The bikes actually in for a proper service next week (winter has given it a bit of a beating) so i’ll see how it’s riding after that and factor that in to my decision.
    N plus 1 rules! Discs brake bike with thru axles probably the way to go I'd say. The Giant TCRs look nice
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,928
    mamba80 wrote:

Although straying away from the disc brake debate but picking up on your state of the roads point. I've just bought a Specialized Roubaix Comp (2018 version) for that very reason. It performs just great.. not 32mm but only 28mm tyres but with the Specialized Future Shock... what a difference it makes on the disappearing road surfaces around here.Sections of road that I tried to avoid if at all possible it handles with reasonable comfort.

I can't comment much on the disc brake debate as I haven't really had to use the disc brakes in anger but my initial impression is they're just great. I've still got my Wilier Cento Uno and will no doubt ride that when weather improves and when I'm back on decent roads in France and got a load of climbing to do.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Most reviews suggests hydraulic discs have better modulation and feel then rim brakes so you’re less likely to lock up.
  • Joebristol wrote:
    Most reviews suggests hydraulic discs have better modulation and feel then rim brakes so you’re less likely to lock up.

Oh shut up
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • yiannism
    Having more braking power is never bad, only idiots can make that statement. I cant really see any real argument against them other than the purists, and i drive a rim brake bike. Going home safe is way more important than go home a few sec faster( and that is debatable)
  • YiannisM wrote:
    Having more braking power is never bad, only idiots can make that statement. I cant really see any real argument against them other than the purists, and i drive a rim brake bike. Going home safe is way more important than go home a few sec faster( and that is debatable)

My only real problem with discs on road bikes, is the disparity in braking performance over rims. If it’s a discipline like MTB, or the sort of ride you’d find a Hybrid with discs on, I can’t argue that they are brilliant. I wouldn’t want to be with a bunch of clueless choppers, on road bikes, some on disc equipped road bikes, and some on rim brake equipped bikes. It’s asking for trouble.
  • If you're that worried, don't ride with them.
  • Bondurant wrote:
    If you're that worried, don't ride with them.

Given the choice, I wouldn’t, however, if it ain’t my circus, and they ain’t my monkeys, it gets a bit irritating.
  • naavt
    Curious to see that most of the folks who stand by discs throw the safety card on board, stating how much more secure they are compared with rim brakes.

Nonetheless, it’s also curious (and I’m being ironic here), that UCI is keeping discs out from their events for that same exact reason: safety!

I’m willing to compare braking distances with the next disc guy, in the dry (I preserve my integrity so I’ll discard this kind of game in wet weather). I’ve done it a few times with folks that converted to discs. I’m no Armstrong and no better than the next guy, but any of the folks who ride with me couldn’t stop consistently before me, and I can even say that 2 times out of 3 I’ve stopped before them.

I’m probably on the best rim brakes ever made (so it has been told by a recent tester on the Colnago C64). Campagnolo’s Record Direct Mount brakes, and that certainly plays a part in the equation, but I suspect that even with a lesser rim brake, chances of getting a leg ripped off by it in a crash, is inexistent.

Can you, disc guys, say the same of a burning rotor after that great descent?
  • yiannism
    naavt wrote:
    Curious to see that most of the folks who stand by discs throw the safety card on board, stating how much more secure they are compared with rim brakes.

Nonetheless, it’s also curious (and I’m being ironic here), that UCI is keeping discs out from their events for that same exact reason: safety!

I’m willing to compare braking distances with the next disc guy, in the dry (I preserve my integrity so I’ll discard this kind of game in wet weather). I’ve done it a few times with folks that converted to discs. I’m no Armstrong and no better than the next guy, but any of the folks who ride with me couldn’t stop consistently before me, and I can even say that 2 times out of 3 I’ve stopped before them.

I’m probably on the best rim brakes ever made (so it has been told by a recent tester on the Colnago C64). Campagnolo’s Record Direct Mount brakes, and that certainly plays a part in the equation, but I suspect that even with a lesser rim brake, chances of getting a leg ripped off by it in a crash, is inexistent.

Can you, disc guys, say the same of a burning rotor after that great descent?

If you debate about the stopping power of the disc brakes i dont really have something to tell you, and no you cant keep the wet out of the debate since most of the cyclists here are British, and they ride quite often in the rain.

You play the heat card, but that one actually is one of the biggest shortcomings of the rim brakes. Have you ever touched the rim after a long descent? you can fry eggs on it, and as all we know heat makes metals softer. That heat is going also on tires with bigger chance for flat.

Now as far as about UCI, half truth is not a truth. They still ban them (not for long though, soon will change that), not cuz of the riders safety, but after of a multiple crash an other rider got injured from others bike disc.

By the way why its not a problem with the cyclocross races but it is with the road bikes?
  • Yep. Thread went the way it always would. Disc v rim rather than Bike X v Bike Y.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,391
    Yep. Thread went the way it always would. Disc v rim rather than Bike X v Bike Y.
    Or rider X v rider Y.
    So much bollox spouted. I know what I like and I’m happy with that.