Race wheel upgrade - Reynolds Assault v Zipp 404 FC (or others)

2»

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Best race wheels are those that can survive a pothole hit at 25mph+
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Bora ultra 35s.

Exactly what I want next for my Bianchi. When I can afford them that is!

My only gripe with them is that I wish Campag would get with the times and make them tubeless compatible.
  • JGSI wrote:

Not really. The most bombproof wheels are not likely to be particularly fast. Just insure your race bike and then you can race whatever kit you want, worry free. Save the pothole beaters for the commuter.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    JGSI wrote:

Not really. The most bombproof wheels are not likely to be particularly fast. Just insure your race bike and then you can race whatever kit you want, worry free. Save the pothole beaters for the commuter.

I think what JGSI meant is in order to win the race you need to be in it. No good having fancy wheels if they don't get you round the course (or you have to spend an hour a week trueing your wheels instead of training after each race).
  • Quick thread hijack (after reading some of this).

Would a lighter, (maybe) stiffer set of half decent clinchers give any advantage over a cheap set of 50mm carbons? (zuus wheels, couple years old, 1750g) Say these: https://www.spadabike.com/en-en/15/stiletto/ (1260g) or these: https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-22wide (1449g)

For crits and chain gangs and so on (where they'll be lots of accelerations). Most people seem to believe aero is still king? (for what it's worth)

Very conscious of cycleclinics point of wheels having various attributes!!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    There are a few on weight weenies who have commented on hunts being heavier than advertised up to to 100g.

Also more aero is faster 500g over the course of a road race if less aero is a disadvantage in reality.

Also those spada wheels might be lacking a very important attribute, stiffness. Stiff wheels are those that riders like. They just feel right. The hunts will be a stiffer wheel (rear). However both could be slower in a race or chain gang than what you have.

There are no precise answers here yet you want one. There is no data on these wheels to go on just generalisations.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    There are a few on weight weenies who have commented on hunts being heavier than advertised up to to 100g.

Also more aero is faster 500g over the course of a road race if less aero is a disadvantage in reality.

Also those spada wheels might be lacking a very important attribute, stiffness. Stiff wheels are those that riders like. They just feel right. The hunts will be a stiffer wheel (rear). However both could be slower in a race or chain gang than what you have.

There are no precise answers here yet you want one. There is no data on these wheels to go on just generalisations.

Cheers, appreciate the reply