Ride London 2018

123457»

Comments

• I was cold at the top of Newlands and felt a bit odd. I had a very unpleasant soggy banana and a lot of fluid and seemed to be ok after that - but I didn't have to do Leith or Box due to closures. I felt a bit iffy again Sunday night but it's probably because there was no food left in the festival area so I didn't get to eat as much as I wanted.

I wasn't sure what to take in terms of kit. A lot of people beforehand were saying they weren't taking a jacket because it was still 20C and the forecast was a bit flakey. Rain jackets also tend to be expensive when you look on Wiggle so the casual/charity/fair-weather cyclist (i.e. me!) probably doesn't own one.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    godders9 wrote:
    I was cold at the top of Newlands and felt a bit odd. I had a very unpleasant soggy banana and a lot of fluid and seemed to be ok after that - but I didn't have to do Leith or Box due to closures. I felt a bit iffy again Sunday night but it's probably because there was no food left in the festival area so I didn't get to eat as much as I wanted.

I wasn't sure what to take in terms of kit. A lot of people beforehand were saying they weren't taking a jacket because it was still 20C and the forecast was a bit flakey. Rain jackets also tend to be expensive when you look on Wiggle so the casual/charity/fair-weather cyclist (i.e. me!) probably doesn't own one.

All you need this time of the year is something like this to fold in your rear pocket

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specialize ... _campaign=[campaign_name]&sv_term=[keyword]&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzq_ZnunL3AIVqbDtCh0rQwp4EAQYBCABEgI0wvD_BwE
    left the forum March 2023
  • It's been interesting reading some of the comments regarding cold and rain jackets etc.

Started off in my road safety captain jersey and arm warmers...rolled off after 6 and after about 10 or 20 miles the rain started and never stopped.

I was taking it easy this year (same as others, wanting to enjoy the atmosphere for once) and at my first stop at nylands corner (natural break) I started shivering a hell of a lot. Really cold...strange i thought, is it that bad?. Gore Shakedry on and basically its the best bit of cycling kit I own - bloody magic!! 100% waterproof and totally breathable? Hell yeah. Don't get me wrong I unzipped it slightly halfway up leith...but my god it's a great bit of kit.

So I stacked it on the way home and put holes in my most expensive bit of cycling clothing.

Meh.

Also: didn't drink enough, was coming down with something and I found it harder than it should've been. We cyclists are great at excuses! Bloody grim weather though. And I prefer the London bits. I'm sorry but I do.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,021
    Rain jackets aren't that bad, my Endura pack-a-jacket was about £40 and I only put it on at Westcott.

To be honest I doubt there is a jacket out there that would keep the rain out that we endured, the battle was staying warm and my thin shell did exactly that.
    And I prefer the London bits. I'm sorry but I do.

Totally agree with that, you can blast around country lanes anytime but to be able to ride those areas on empty streets was brilliant.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It's been interesting reading some of the comments regarding cold and rain jackets etc
    Having nearly suffered from hypothermia whilst wearing a drysuit (not cycling - sailing) in the summer - it's not just about keeping the rain /wind off - you need some level of insulation below the water/windproof layer - which I didn't do - just shorts and t-shirt - never again!

I was riding at the weekend and wore a dinghy sailing waterproof top - it has a fleece lining - so with that and my short sleeve jersey beneath I was plenty warm enough - it would've been too much for the RL100 though - that would've been norain arm wamers, 2 short sleeve jerseys and likely the windproof gilet with a waterproof in my pocket - I wouldn't expect to stay dry - just keep whatever moisture ends up inside at a warm temp...
    I would've probably added a second pair of gloves too - or just not bothered at all ...

Reasons for a lightweight waterproof/wind proof is that moisture is very good at transferring heat - and the wind is very good at taking that heat away (otherwise we wouldn't sweat when hot) - getting wet from rain or sweat and subjected to cool winds is very good at making you cold - even if you don't want it too - so you need to stop that wind from getting at the moisture - wearing a Bin Bag would work (not very aero though ;) ).

You'll notice those in water sports wearing neoprene wet suits - they don't keep you dry - they trap a layer of water against your skin and you keep that warm - the neoprene prevents the constant flushing from more cold water and/or wind - in the summer months it's more effective - in the winter months you want a bit more insulation
  • I enjoyed the London bits most as well. Even in the wet the roads were smooth and fast and it was a pleasure to cycle on roads like that. Normally I'd keep to quieter roads in Oxon to avoid traffic but the cost is a lower quality of road and hence not a smooth ride.

I don't know what it was about Sunday's conditions but I was needing a toilet break every 5-10 miles!

Need to grab a lightweight rain jacket in case I get caught out in the autumn. I wouldn't ride if it was raining but I guess it's when there's a small risk of a shower on an otherwise dry ride.
  • Brought a castelli rain cape with me but left it in the hotel and opted for a gilet instead. Only time I regretted it was when fixing my two punctures where I was shivering a bit by the time i got going.
    Felt fine after 5 miles of hard riding and I think a rain cape would have been a pain, especially with the wind. I’m roughly 67kg so not much “natural” insulation either.

Saw plenty of people at the hubs with the reflective blankets on, obviously came out unprepared or don’t handle the cold/wet weather very well.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Slowbike wrote:
    I would've probably added a second pair of gloves too - or just not bothered at all ...

It wasn't double glove weather, in fact it was quite warm. Standing around at the start wasn't ideal, but after 5/10 miles on the rivet (well...) I was good for the remainder.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    godders9 wrote:
    I was cold at the top of Newlands and felt a bit odd. I had a very unpleasant soggy banana and a lot of fluid and seemed to be ok after that - but I didn't have to do Leith or Box due to closures. I felt a bit iffy again Sunday night but it's probably because there was no food left in the festival area so I didn't get to eat as much as I wanted.

they dont have to that expensive, I only use a dhb packable jacket, which is only £30 at Wiggle at the moment, and I dont ever remember paying £50 for it so I dont think its often at full rrp, its showerproof,windproof, just about rolls up into a standard jersey pocket. you are never going to stay completely dry its just to keep the worst of it off you to stop the chilling effect.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

It wasn't double glove weather, in fact it was quite warm. Standing around at the start wasn't ideal, but after 5/10 miles on the rivet (well...) I was good for the remainder.

I do tend to over pack ... ;) Also - I did a wiggle sportive a good few years ago when it was a bit colder - and wet - got wet hands, really cold and couldn't shift gears - so rode the final 20 miles as single speed ....
  • 05:48 start for me. Shorts and s/s club top, with mitts.
    Jacket stayed in my back pocket throughout. It would have been useless against the wet, but would have kept some of the heat in.

I felt OK - kept with the bunch for the first 30-35 miles, until a nasty rear rattle forced me to stop and check that I wasnt about to lose a bolt or something else (it was loose cassette lockring). I chased a couple of the next bunches, but they were a bit rapid.
    My lack of long rides (nothing above 20 milers really) started to feel itself in the legs, but I perked up on the long run in to London. 4:54 overall, which should have been more like 4:30 if I'd kept to the bunch as planned.

THere was so much water that it was actually difficult to follow wheels - the spray made it really difficult to see where to go - so I spent most of the second half on the front.
    I've never seen so many people fixing flats at the side of the road. Thankfully I avoided any, but that would have been tricky and I'd have chilled pretty quickly I think.

I ride hot and was temperate just with the race top on. I only felt chilled at the end once I'd been through the bag collection.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ok thats some serious lack of long rides there ! I'm impressed you finished.
  • Ben6899
    Fenix wrote:

Nah it's about having a base level of fitness, isn't it. Apart from a weekend in the Peaks in April and 75km in the New Forest at the end of June I too have been restricted to 30km rides this year. Sunday was still steady away.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • alan999
    alan999 Posts: 1
    Merino socks kept my feet warm despite being completely squelchy wet through. Gore shakedry kept my top half 100% dry and exactly the right temperature throughout - awesome kit. It also did me proud on the C2C - snow at the top, rain all day, top half completely dry while 3 companions were soaked through. Those who say nothing would have kept me dry are wrong - it’s magic. Only did the 46, smiled all the way round, loved it, finished sub 3 hours - not bad for 61 years old and never tried to go fast - feeling fresh.
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Nah it's about having a base level of fitness, isn't it. Apart from a weekend in the Peaks in April and 75km in the New Forest at the end of June I too have been restricted to 30km rides this year. Sunday was still steady away.

Indeed. I did do one long ride in April - around 130 miles, including the rather hilly York sportif.
    I know I can go the distance, but recognise that without the long training then I'm likely to feel tired, get stiff back and become a little empty-legged after a while.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Indeed. I did do one long ride in April - around 130 miles, including the rather hilly York sportif.
    I know I can go the distance, but recognise that without the long training then I'm likely to feel tired, get stiff back and become a little empty-legged after a while.

That’s it in a nutshell. Anyone with good base fitness and a modicum of riding ability and experience could do the ride. The difference will be whether or not you find it comfortable or a chore. The more training rides of longer durations you do the more comfortable you’ll feel generally.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

That’s it in a nutshell. Anyone with good base fitness and a modicum of riding ability and experience could do the ride. The difference will be whether or not you find it comfortable or a chore. The more training rides of longer durations you do the more comfortable you’ll feel generally.

Call me arrogant, but I found it a breeze. Far from a chore. *shrug*
    Ben

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Call me arrogant, but I found it a breeze. Far from a chore. *shrug*

Coz it's the equivalent of a TDF sprint stage? It's not like it's the Maratona or the Ötztal.
  • The difference most non superhuman superheroes would find between doing some decent training rides and not really bothering with training rides would be in the following days regarding recovery. The more quality training rides they do beforehand the quicker their stats return to normal after the ride generally speaking.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

Aah - surely a bit of sandbagging going on here - I thought you'd said only 20 milers. A 130 mile ride is not a 20 miler even if it was 3 months ago.