Ride London 2018

Comments

• Ti yred wrote:
    Three rejections in a row for me and also my riding partner, we've not ridden it before either. Also had two rejections in a row for the Fred, and haven't ridden that yet.

I'm quite sure I haven't knocked over anyone's cat...

Try this, no rejections and weather guaranteed!

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-390/
    left the forum March 2023
  • That's halfway across the country and a completely different date!

For those that didn't get a spot, I believe the Dunwich Dynamo is on the same weekend as RL100 and the return coach tickets only just went on sale a week or so ago...
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Try this, no rejections and weather guaranteed!http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-390/
    That's halfway across the country and a completely different date!
    Stopover in Bell End or Clent!
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    I got in...

But am also doing the Dunwich Dynamo so may defer until 2019, if I decide paying for 2018 as well is worth it. Seems a little odd to me!
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Surprised they haven't expanded and started doing similar events at another city
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    Surprised they haven't expanded and started doing similar events at another city
    Velo Birmingham?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Getting road closures is a bloody nightmare. There was one in North Wales that had closed roads but I think that only lasted a year
  • I think the RL gets special dispensation because of the Classic.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    edited February 2018
    I think the RL gets special dispensation because of the Classic.
    So they could have an annual moving event on one of the Tour of Britain stages, couldn't they. The trouble with RLS100 is that the Surrey Hills tend to be full of cyclists all year, so the locals who aren't into cycling get even more annoyed when the road are closed.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I didn’t get a place, that’s 3 applications in the ballot and 0 places. Did it one year via a charity place.

Then today a femLe colleague at work said she got a place......and she did last year......oh, she got a place in each of the 5 years she has been in the ballot. I’m fine with trying to encourage more women to participate, but it still seems a bit lopsided
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I only personally know of three entries. Two blokes and one woman. Guess who got in and which two got rejected ?

I think they must be balancing out.
  • It definitely seems like they are more likely to accept ballot entries from women and people outside the 25-45 age bracket to stop Ride London becoming a MAMIL Sausagefest. I don't mind it personally, I got a rejection but was keen to do Dunwich Dynamo anyway.
    I did Hell of the Ashdown today and can count the number of women on one hand who I saw whilst out on the course.
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    It definitely seems like they are more likely to accept ballot entries from women and people outside the 25-45 age bracket to stop Ride London becoming a MAMIL Sausagefest. I don't mind it personally, I got a rejection but was keen to do Dunwich Dynamo anyway.
    I did Hell of the Ashdown today and can count the number of women on one hand who I saw whilst out on the course.

What were you doing with one hand?
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    It definitely seems like they are more likely to accept ballot entries from women and people outside the 25-45 age bracket to stop Ride London becoming a MAMIL Sausagefest. I don't mind it personally, I got a rejection but was keen to do Dunwich Dynamo anyway.
    Strange, I did it too and one hand was not enough to count the number of females on the road. :roll:
  • Ti yred wrote:
    Three rejections in a row for me and also my riding partner, we've not ridden it before either. Also had two rejections in a row for the Fred, and haven't ridden that yet.

I'm quite sure I haven't knocked over anyone's cat...

Try this, no rejections and weather guaranteed!

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-390/

That's actually a good call Ugo, and very local to me. I am a member of AUK but for one reason or another haven't participated in any Audax rides since joining (to my shame). I have however, ridden the Long Mynd / Burway & Stiperstones before and its just nice to go somewhere different for a change, hence the Fred and/or Ride London.

I will put this in the diary though (and have a good look at the AUK calendar too). Might just sign up for Tour of the Peak (was in last year but a recurrent back injury forced me off the bike for several weeks) or look to the Etape Du Dales instead either this or next year...knowing my luck its sold out for this year. I must get on the ball!
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Anyone know if there is a link you can use to check if you got in this year?
    I was moving house when I registered, so used another address and I can't pickup the mail from there for a few weeks.
  • Ti yred wrote:

That's actually a good call Ugo, and very local to me. I am a member of AUK but for one reason or another haven't participated in any Audax rides since joining (to my shame). I have however, ridden the Long Mynd / Burway & Stiperstones before and its just nice to go somewhere different for a change, hence the Fred and/or Ride London.

I will put this in the diary though (and have a good look at the AUK calendar too). Might just sign up for Tour of the Peak (was in last year but a recurrent back injury forced me off the bike for several weeks) or look to the Etape Du Dales instead either this or next year...knowing my luck its sold out for this year. I must get on the ball!

Kidderminster Killer is organised by our very own Phil Whiteman and I can vouch for his chili con carne at the finish... I'm in for this.

I don't think Etape du Dales sells out, they usually take entries on the line. In my opinion, the organisation is even better than the Fred... less fuss but more food for your money
    left the forum March 2023
  • Rich_E wrote:
    Anyone know if there is a link you can use to check if you got in this year?
    I was moving house when I registered, so used another address and I can't pickup the mail from there for a few weeks.

https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/pay/

This is the payment website for successful entrants; I presume if you try to log in and pay it'll tell you sooner or later whether you've actually been allocated a spot.
  • Ti yred wrote:

Kidderminster Killer is organised by our very own Phil Whiteman and I can vouch for his chili con carne at the finish... I'm in for this.

I don't think Etape du Dales sells out, they usually take entries on the line. In my opinion, the organisation is even better than the Fred... less fuss but more food for your money

I bloody love Chilli con carne! It's in the diary...I'll check up on the etape, if I cant do the actual date I'm sure I can do it under my own steam another time (in the summer preferably)...
  • stu227
    stu227 Posts: 31
    Second time in the ballot, first time with a place. I'd forgotten I'd even entered, so that's nice! Hoping for nice weather now. And of course, there's the added advantage that nothing can prepare you for how easy Ride London is...
  • Two out of two rejections for me, might look into the amstel ride together event now though...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • GT29
    GT29 Posts: 53
    If anyone is looking for a place, a small charity I volunteer for has a few spare spaces. Lyme Disease Action.

They aren't looking for any commitments about fund raising any amount in particular, or any up front payment yourself unlike many big charities doing RL.

PM me if you want any more info.
  • stu227
    stu227 Posts: 31
    I should also add, that although I've a place in this, I'm also organising a (non closed road) sportive in Essex at the end of April - by which time it'll be balmy and warm... There's a separate thread but if anyone fancies a nice season opener, all the (modest) entry fees go to the local NHS charity: www.pedal4patients.org.uk. :)
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,026
    We've got in with team of four entry on the Amstel Ride Together section of it.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pete1336
    pete1336 Posts: 86
    Can anyone tell me what the total route ascent is this year please?
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    pete1336 wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what the total route ascent is this year please?

6270ft
  • GT29
    GT29 wrote:
    If anyone is looking for a place, a small charity I volunteer for has a few spare spaces. Lyme Disease Action.

They aren't looking for any commitments about fund raising any amount in particular, or any up front payment yourself unlike many big charities doing RL.

2 spaces left.

Last few weeks to get registered to take part in RideLondon.

No fundraising deposit or commitment like the big charities, just trying to cover the £200pp entry fee, (expensive for charities!) and most importantly to raise awareness.

PM for details. Individuals or businesses welcome.
  • GT29 wrote:
    GT29 wrote:

2 spaces left.

No fundraising deposit or commitment like the big charities, just trying to cover the £200pp entry fee, (expensive for charities!) and most importantly to raise awareness.

Bloody hell
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • GT29
    GT29 wrote:
    GT29 wrote:

2 spaces left.

Bloody hell

Yep they gauge the charities. But as typical with charity fundraising, for each pound spent, a few pounds is usually earned for the cause.

Place still available. You would be amazed how easy it can be to raise sizeable amount from co-workers and your community. Please get in touch for more info if you are interested.
  • philclubman
    philclubman Posts: 229
    GT29 wrote:
    GT29 wrote:

2 spaces left.

Bloody hell

Yep they gauge the charities. But as typical with charity fundraising, for each pound spent, a few pounds is usually earned for the cause.

Place still available. You would be amazed how easy it can be to raise sizeable amount from co-workers and your community. Please get in touch for more info if you are interested.

I'm in a similar position in that we have some charity places left.

By we, I mean my family who run a charity for cardiac conditions after my brother passed away. Not looking for big fundraising commitments and it is for a good cause - you'd be surprised how many athletes and cyclists have these conditions.

From the charity's Fundraising Manager if anyone is interested in more info:

"My name is Sarah and I work for the national cardiac charity SADS UK. I wanted to let you know that SADS UK has places available at the Prudential Ride London – Surrey 100 event taking place on Sunday 29th July 2018.

SADS UK is a cardiac charity which aims to prevent sudden cardiac death in apparently fit and healthy people. We donate heart monitoring equipment to doctor’s surgeries and other medical establishments. We donate defibrillators to schools and the community. Our aim is to make every school Heartsafe by having a defibrillator on the premises which can potentially save lives.

If you would like to ride for SADS UK at the PRL please contact info@sadsuk.org. We do ask participants to raise a minimum sponsorship of £350. SADS UK will send all riders a link to enable them to register their place free of charge and each participant will receive a SADS UK fundraising pack."