Six Nations 2018

Comments

• I think 99% of people would agree. Twitter seems to. Loads of guff about downward pressure, which isn't required, for those who argue against.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Pross wrote:
    England winning the kicking battle, something Wales did very well in last week and another area where we are missing Halfpenny. Not protecting the ball well enough at the breakdown either. Very frustrating first half.

Brown is an interesting player, either brililant, 2 years ago, or gash, last year. He's rotating his seasons it seems. Very good today. Anscombe is, IMO, out of position. Maybe him and Patchell should swap :D

Anscombe is out of position being on an international rugby pitch.
  • Pross
    I think 99% of people would agree. Twitter seems to. Loads of guff about downward pressure, which isn't required, for those who argue against.

Yep, the ball is on the ground and you deliberately put a hand on it so you must be in control. It would be different if the ball was bouncing about but it was just sat there waiting to be touched.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I’m starting to worry about England not putting this game away!
  • Pross
    Everything Wales did well last week is missing. They chased the kicks brilliantly last week and did well with Scots high balls and the handling was fast and accurate. England are doing a great job of stopping them getting any momentum.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Vintage Brown today. Was starting to think he was past it.
  • Pross
    Yeah, much as it pains me to say it as I can't stand him he had a cracker.

Wales took far too long to realise they were losing at aerial tennis and looked much more of a threat at the end but I always felt England would wake up again if they went behind. Brilliant try, and possibly match, saving tackle by Whitehall. I don't think the TMO decision would have changed the result as I can't imagine Patchell or Anscombe kicking the conversion from out there. Wales are still doing better than I'd expected but they need to be quicker to adapt when necessary before they can become a good side.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Wales could still be playing now without finding a way to cross the line.
    And if they did, it would be ruled out by TMO.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Time I came out. My name is figbat and I don’t think it was a clear try. I wouldn’t describe a glancing blow off the side of the ball as “grounding”. I also think that the slow-mo showed both hands on the ball as it hit the ground.

I know it’s an unpopular opinion but the TMO agreed with me so...

In other matters, it was quite a game for such a low score.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • figbat wrote:
    Time I came out. My name is figbat and I don’t think it was a clear try. I wouldn’t describe a glancing blow off the side of the ball as “grounding”. I also think that the slow-mo showed both hands on the ball as it hit the ground.

The Welsh will whinge about it but unless they are alleging that the TMO does not know the rules it was not a try. There was plenty of clear slow motion video footage to make the correct decision
  • Pross
    It's not an unpopular opinion just a wrong one ;)

All the Law requires is that you have control of the ball which I think it is arguable you have as soon as you deliberately lay your hand on the ball.

Incidentally, I've seen something suggesting the ball didn't touch the ground at all on England's first try. At the time it was scored I thought it was on top of May's arm as he slid across the line but assumed that as he wasn't under pressure he simply rolled over at the end of the slide. Has anyone else seen anything about that?

Ultimately, Wales were too slow to move to plan B when the aerial kicking game was obviously not working and ended up being outplayed for an hour. They defended well but England should really have been out of sight by half time.
  • Pross
    figbat wrote:

The Welsh will whinge about it but unless they are alleging that the TMO does not know the rules it was not a try. There was plenty of clear slow motion video footage to make the correct decision

The TMO just said he couldn't see it clearly, had the question been 'is there any reason why I can't award the try' it would have been given.
  • Law 21.1b requires pressing down. It requires no control, no degree of pressure. Simply pressing down. Which can be with arm, hand or even the front of the body. In this case the hand. What I missed yesterday, was that the TMO said that the Watson grounded it first rather than there being no clear evidence of grounding (which, I recall, he reverted to later)
  • Pross
    Law 21.1b requires pressing down. It requires no control, no degree of pressure. Simply pressing down. Which can be with arm, hand or even the front of the body. In this case the hand. What I missed yesterday, was that the TMO said that the Watson grounded it first rather than there being no clear evidence of grounding (which, I recall, he reverted to later)

Yep, the commentators made several references yesterday that the law had changed from downward pressure to having control but the actual law is:-

The ball can be grounded in in-goal:

By holding it and touching the ground with it; or

By pressing down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck.

Which to me makes it an even more clear try.
  • Pross wrote:
    Incidentally, I've seen something suggesting the ball didn't touch the ground at all on England's first try. At the time it was scored I thought it was on top of May's arm as he slid across the line but assumed that as he wasn't under pressure he simply rolled over at the end of the slide. Has anyone else seen anything about that?

Whoever is suggesting this is showing themselves to be a bad loser. May did not ground the ball as he was sliding over the line but you can clearly see from the footage that as his slide was finishing he adjusted to ground the ball.
  • Pross wrote:

Whoever is suggesting this is showing themselves to be a bad loser. May did not ground the ball as he was sliding over the line but you can clearly see from the footage that as his slide was finishing he adjusted to ground the ball.

Well now. There's absolutely no need to carp about May's try, if you clearly cross the line with zero interference you're going to be given a try. End of. However, have a look. Though, we'd need to see the reverse video clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq4BXku8ou4
  • Pross wrote:

Well now. There's absolutely no need to carp about May's try, if you clearly cross the line with zero interference you're going to be given a try. End of. However, have a look. Though, we'd need to see the reverse video clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq4BXku8ou4

Look at 19 seconds on that video and if you pause the correct frame(s) you can see the ball is grounded underneath May's right armpit.

I'm detecting a lot of sour grapes that this was even raised by some of the Welsh
  • crispybug2
    Scotland 32-26 France

Enjoyable match, France rather fell apart in the second half

Between France and Italy for the wooden spoon now, and they have a Friday night showdown next at the spectacular Stade Velodrome in Marseille
  • Pross
    I was disappointed with the French, they came out like a French team of old running the ball well but seemed to run out of steam. Dogged performance by the Scots though still not as good as they looked in the autumn. The tactic with France seems to be put them under pressure and they give penalties quite easily.
  • crispybug2
    The Welsh supporters, former players and current coach who are loudly bemoaning the decision of the TMO yesterday should realise that most contentious decisions even themselves out over time and maybe they would like to cast their minds back to 2011 when an illegal line-out resulted in the winning try against Ireland, I don’t suppose that they complained then!!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    crispybug2 wrote:
    The Welsh supporters, former players and current coach who are loudly bemoaning the decision of the TMO yesterday should realise that most contentious decisions even themselves out over time and maybe they would like to cast their minds back to 2011 when an illegal line-out resulted in the winning try against Ireland, I don’t suppose that they complained then!!
    Really? Going back 7 years to justify a wrong decision. Two wrongs do not make it right. Even Jonny Wilkinson and Clive Woodward said it was a try. Nothing will change the result but that should have been a try.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • crispybug2
    PBlakeney wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Really? Going back 7 years to justify a wrong decision. Two wrongs do not make it right. Even Jonny Wilkinson and Clive Woodward said it was a try. Nothing will change the result but that should have been a try.

I agree that it was a try, we both do

But neither of us is a TMO, and that’s all there is to it

p.s My main reason for highlighting the 2011 match is that Warren Gatland said after the match that the match officials decisions should be respected, he can’t have it both ways and accuse the officials of making a terrible decision when the decision goes against him!!
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Lots of lively debate about the non try still then. You don;t need to cast your mind back 7 years either, a week would do. 4th try vs Scotland, forward pass. Clearly didn't affect the result, but got them the BP. Swings & roundabouts.

And I've still yet to see a legitimate feed into a scrum. I know the laws were updated around the scrum half's positioning at the feed, but it still requires a 'straight' feed & not one at 45 degrees that goes straight into the second row. Time after time after time.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • vimfuego wrote:
    Lots of lively debate about the non try still then. You don;t need to cast your mind back 7 years either, a week would do. 4th try vs Scotland, forward pass. Clearly didn't affect the result, but got them the BP. Swings & roundabouts.

And I've still yet to see a legitimate feed into a scrum. I know the laws were updated around the scrum half's positioning at the feed, but it still requires a 'straight' feed & not one at 45 degrees that goes straight into the second row. Time after time after time.

Hands backward motion, ball travels forward, not forward pass?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    vimfuego wrote:
    This is something that really irks me, imagine a line out being thrown at the kind of angles that are deemed acceptable in a scrum.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    vimfuego wrote:
    This is something that really irks me, imagine a line out being thrown at the kind of angles that are deemed acceptable in a scrum.

It was done fairly well for 20 minutes (Wales v Scotland) in the first game. Then clarified, then ignored. This weekend, back to the ref not caring again. Very irritating.

The off feet arrival at the ruck is also a complete lottery.
  • Pross
    vimfuego wrote:

The ref in Wales v Scotland pinged the Scots at their first scrum (straight to the second row) but also Wales at their first scrum (fed just behind the hooker's heel). It was refreshing to see and after that the feeds were straight. I can't understand why more refs don't do this, get everything right at the first attempt and set the tone.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Pross wrote:
    vimfuego wrote:

The ref in Wales v Scotland pinged the Scots at their first scrum (straight to the second row) but also Wales at their first scrum (fed just behind the hooker's heel). It was refreshing to see and after that the feeds were straight. I can't understand why more refs don't do this, get everything right at the first attempt and set the tone.
    Completely agree, didn't watch that match so can't comment. Hopefully if more ref's do that things will improve.
  • Pross wrote:
    vimfuego wrote:

Amen.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • If you watch the player before you can see it comes off his knee, then hand. So its a knock on.

Doesn't matter if it was grounded or not (it wasn't in my opinion).
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.