Elmnt Bolt

pippi_langsamer-2
pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
edited February 2018 in Road general
Any other Bolt owners have issues with the little blue port flap not staying flush? Just bought a unit and it's bugging the life out of me :? It's only the very end where the very small locator tab is, but having paid the cash etc...

It's not used yet, so wondering whether to send back or n not...

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Mine is fine. Send it back if it bugs you, may as well.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Yes, same problem here.
    I haven't used it yet, but I can see how it may cause problems with water ingress. A bit of electrical tape over the flap would solve it, but shouldn't really be necessary with a new unit. Ironically, this was Garmin's Achilles heel on the 800's and 1000 that I've had, I'd have thought Wahoo would have cracked it.
    I'm in two minds whether to go the electrical tape route, or return it.
  • Interesting. No way I'm sticking tape over the bloody thing.

I'm really trying to like Wahoo! The Tickr I bought couple of months back went back after it broke within a week, now this.

Back it goes!
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I'm really trying to like Wahoo! The Tickr I bought couple of months back went back after it broke within a week, now this.

Back it goes!
    I have the larger Elemnt and it has no such problem.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    But strange to hear this problem as the charging port tab just pushes in on mine.

Have you checked that there is nothing obstructing it? Or that the tab isn't damaged?
  • redvision wrote:
    But strange to hear this problem as the charging port tab just pushes in on mine.

Have you checked that there is nothing obstructing it? Or that the tab isn't damaged?

It's brand new.

The main plug sits ok in the main usb port, but the end retainer tab- a tiny tab, doesn't stay sat in the small retainer hole, and eases it's way out over a few minutes. It looks bad, and I'm concerned in very wet conditions, water could work its way in to the main port.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/s10k8Uj7YjdDKfLR2
  • redvision
    You just need to press it in.
    It will eventually clip in place.

Use your thumb to press the whole tab at once.
  • redvision wrote:

Do you not think I've tried that???

I can press it in and get it flush, but the left alone, it slowly worms it's way out again.

I've pressed it in and held it there for several minutes. Same outcome.

I've gently coerced it in to get flush. Same outcome.

I've put force on it, same outcome.

It ain't having it.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    redvision wrote:

Do you not think I've tried that???

I can press it in and get it flush, but the left alone, it slowly worms it's way out again.

I've pressed it in and held it there for several minutes. Same outcome.

I've gently coerced it in to get flush. Same outcome.

I've put force on it, same outcome.

It ain't having it.

Send it back then! :roll:
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Ironically I was only thinking the other day how I thought the tab was much better than previous Garmin, mine clicks in great. I think yours must be defective.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Which end is causing the issue?

43umRm8.jpg

tEgxUjZ.jpg

Mine stays flush through all sorts of use.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • figbat wrote:
    Which end is causing the issue?

43umRm8.jpg

tEgxUjZ.jpg

Mine stays flush through all sorts of use.

As mentioned above, it's the trailing end of the flap where the small locator tab is supposed to locate in the small hole. It presses in....but over the course of a few minutes, pushes itself back out again as per the pics. Anyway, as already mentioned, it's going back tomorrow and I'll hope the replacement is ok.
  • harry-s
    Mine will be going back to Wiggle/CRC tomorrow too, - where did you get yours from? We can have a race...
  • Harry-S wrote:
    Mine will be going back to Wiggle/CRC tomorrow too, - where did you get yours from? We can have a race...

Ditto :?

You have same flappage issues??
  • harry-s
    Yes, exactly the same. Clicks in ok, then over about 5 minutes, sitting on a desk, it's worked it's way back out again.
  • Good secure fitting on Lezyne Super GPS, a trapezoid shaped rubber seal that snugly goes behind an extension of the case body, with a central "plug" of rubber that goes into the void in that section of the case.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Electrical tape for mine... it's the only issue I got with it.
  • Electrical tape for mine... it's the only issue I got with it.

I'm sensing this isn't a few isolated cases then :?

Wahoo? Groan?
  • johand
    johand Posts: 16
    Here too, i am using some tape to extend the blue flap and a silicone cover to keep it closed and protected.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TUSITA-Silicon ... B0753CCV6J
  • Surely this can’t be right. The Bolt is the greatest cycling computer ever invented.
  • Surely this can’t be right. The Bolt is the greatest cycling computer ever invented.

Lol, and Wahoo are the new kick-ass kids on the block!

I've purchased two Wahoo products and both have failed within a week.

Anyway, it's on its way back to CR now
  • If you put discs on a Bolt and dressed it up in an Alpha jacket the forums would implode.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    I have the same problem. Noticed it right away after i charged it, i think i'll ask in CR tomorrow and see if what they can do about it. It's a pain in the arse tbh but it's my only issue with it.
  • LiamW wrote:
    I have the same problem. Noticed it right away after i charged it, i think i'll ask in CR tomorrow and see if what they can do about it. It's a pain in the ars* tbh but it's my only issue with it.

It's the only issue I had with mine too, but it was fresh out of the box!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    If you put discs on a Bolt and dressed it up in an Alpha jacket the forums would implode.

:)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Funny old world...

Garmin 410 for 5 years, 520 trouble free for 12 months. Talking to a mate who is between a garmin or wahoo... I said too early to assume wahoo is perfect, wait 6/12m let the users decide if it works or not.
  • redvision
    Rollemynot wrote:
    Funny old world...

Garmin 410 for 5 years, 520 trouble free for 12 months. Talking to a mate who is between a garmin or wahoo... I said too early to assume wahoo is perfect, wait 6/12m let the users decide if it works or not.

The bolt is 12 months old.
    I got mine in March last year and it is completely faultless. Everything just works and in 9 months there have been regular updates and no firmware gremlins (unlike the edge series).

From this thread i suspect there may have been a bad batch recently with dodgy port covers but apart from that this is by far and away the best and most reliable cycle gps available at the moment.
  • redvision wrote:
    Rollemynot wrote:
    Funny old world...

I got mine in March last year and it is completely faultless. Everything just works and in 9 months there have been regular updates and no firmware gremlins (unlike the edge series).

From this thread i suspect there may have been a bad batch recently with dodgy port covers but apart from that this is by far and away the best and most reliable cycle gps available at the moment.

Certainly from what I experienced setting the Bolt up, it certainly seems like a decent bit of kit. I'll be pairing it up with a DFly transmitter to on 9070, so expanding its functionality even more.

It was only when setting it up I noticed the flap kept slowly migrating out...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    redvision wrote:
    Rollemynot wrote:
    Funny old world...

This. A lifetime of Edge series and Garmin's faults, before moving to the Wahoo Elemnt. Simple to set up and use and never had a problem with the device. Wahoo lost the cloud for a few hours last year, but sorted the issue quickly. Always quick to answer questions unlike Garmin. I've no doubt that this is some 3rd party manufacturer of the port cover that has sent a faulty batch to Wahoo and who will no doubt replace the faulty items without quible.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Rollemynot wrote:
    Funny old world...

Bearing in mind the bolt has the same hardware as the elemnt I think it's fair to say it's been pretty well tested. It is a shame about the usb cover not fitting properly on a few models but I'm sure it's just a bad batch and nothing compared to the problems I've personally encountered with Garmin over the years.
    Lost rides, water damage, not recognising pc, dodgy Bluetooth connection, bricked units.
    Lots of my friends are turning to Wahoo and so far none of them have been disappointed.
    I don't think any cycling computer will be perfect 100% of the time but Garmin have had more than long enough to iron out problems. That's without even mentioning the woeful Garmin connect.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc