BB30A to 24mm Shimano

2»

Comments

• g1032
    g1032 Posts: 29
    edited March 18

Hi all

I also have a CAAD12. Had terrible BB issues and eventually switched to the WheelsMfg BB30a adapter.

However I have only gotten 5,000km out of the non drive side bearing. Drive side is OK for now.

Couple of questions please if anyone can answer for me.

• The NDS bearing was really rough when installed, but I hammered it out, and when out of the external BB shell it feels sooth as butter. Why would this be? Bearing is not getting compressed in the Wheelsmfg adapter surely??
    • How do you guys install new bearing in the Wheelsmfg adapter? I was a bit agricultural about it tbh. Had an old diy bearing press I used on original BB30. Lightly tapped the new bearing into Wheels adapter with a mallet and then used the bearing press with the old wheels bearing (to sit flush against the bearing being installed) and pressed in. It's looks flush and seems like it's installed 'straight'. Feels butter smooth. Creaking is gone again but how long this will last is anyone's guess. How do you install new bearing (no way I am paying for the wheels mfg bearing installation kit - other bikes are all threaded BB and this is only pressfit I have so just not worth the outlay)
    • 3rd question - It was always the NDS bearing that went first on this CAAD12 and this proved to be the case again with the Wheelsfg bearings- Any reason why that would be? The Wheelsfg adapter had a new R7000 crank installed with it so I'd be ruling out any spindle wear as the reason.

Thanks in advcance

• g1032
    g1032 Posts: 29

Edit on above - too late to edit post.

Took seals off bearing I removed. Ball bearings are like new, as is the grease. Very strange they were so rough when installed. Could it be a pre load thing - having the nds crank arm tightened too close to bearing??

• You are replying to very old posts I am afraid, so you will unlikely get any response from the original posters. I have mentioned my CAAD12 BB woes on various threads so I have some experience in this area.

I originally had the wheels mftg adapters but was going through bearings every 6 months so had a wheels mftg complete BB installed. This is better but the bearings on the NDS are exposed to water ingress and need constant maintaining to avoid faster wear.

1) I have no idea why it would feel rough when the bearings are smooth once removed from the BB shell. I can only guess it is a fitment issue though.

2) Can't answer as I just got my LBS to do it.

3) I think it is water ingress, the NDS bearings on mine are always the affected side, the DS bearings are fine. I suspect the crank arm/spindle interface is just more tightly sealed and less prone to water getting in. Again, just a hypothesis though, I have no proof.