New frame - Ideas

ollaay
ollaay Posts: 166
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
On the lookout for frameset for a summer bike build, and have my eye on a Supersix Hi Mod, Canyon, S Works Tarmac and TCR Advanced SL. Pinarello/Colnago etc are out of my budget.

Just waiting for a second hand one in my size to come up on eBay or here :lol:

Any feedback from anyone who owns any of them? Or which you'd choose

Comments

• What size are you looking for? what you preferences to geometry?

You mention a Tarmac but also a TCR, two very different bikes.

Also if you think a Colnago or Pinarello are expensive, have you seen the cost of an S-Works Tarmac frameset? Id say they were about the same.
  • ollaay
    I'm 185cm, so 6'1, so I'm 56 and 58 generally in bikes. Looking for something light and something to get into racing in.
    I've seen an advanced SL and a hi mod go for around 400/500 mark on eBay and a S works not long ago went for 650 on eBay.
    Cheers
  • I have a 2015 tarmac, probably my favourite frame of all tine. It's it very stiff and the handling is excellent. Not a light frame (although the 2018 model is around 250g lighter) but that makes little difference to me.

The supersix and tcr are both very good bikes (never ridden a canyon), if weight is important the cannondale is pretty light. Cervelo, bmc are also worth looking at. My mate loves his ridley helium and it is freakishly light.
  • ollaay wrote:
    I'm 185cm, so 6'1, so I'm 56 and 58 generally in bikes. Looking for something light and something to get into racing in.
    I've seen an advanced SL and a hi mod go for around 400/500 mark on eBay and a S works not long ago went for 650 on eBay.
    Cheers

£650 for an S-Works frame? It would most probably either been very old, fake or broken. If you can get a good nick genuine one for that price good luck to you but a new or a few years old at least will still be about 2-3 grand. For that you can pick up a Pinarello.

Why not get a Pinarello Prince? They are renamed dogma 65.1 frames. Identical except for the decals. Same carbon same geometry. Seen them for 1300 before.
  • ollaay
    I have a 2015 tarmac, probably my favourite frame of all tine. It's it very stiff and the handling is excellent. Not a light frame (although the 2018 model is around 250g lighter) but that makes little difference to me.

The supersix and tcr are both very good bikes (never ridden a canyon), if weight is important the cannondale is pretty light. Cervelo, bmc are also worth looking at. My mate loves his ridley helium and it is freakishly light.

Bmc and Ridley are also ones I haven't really looked into, they look great aswell and heard good things about them. It's just finding a used frame in the right size is difficult!
    Hi Mod, tarmac, Ridley and BMC im on the lookout for then..
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    How about a brand new CAAD 12? Utterly brilliant, great value for money, equally as good as carbon.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ollaay
    [/quote]

£650 for an S-Works frame? It would most probably either been very old, fake or broken. If you can get a good nick genuine one for that price good luck to you but a new or a few years old at least will still be about 2-3 grand. For that you can pick up a Pinarello.

Why not get a Pinarello Prince? They are renamed dogma 65.1 frames. Identical except for the decals. Same carbon same geometry. Seen them for 1300 before.[/quote]

It was a SL4 Tarmac sold for £707 on eBay a month or so ago, still got the listing aswell saved if you're wondering with only cable rub and a few scratches.
    And yeah cheers I'll look into a Pinarello aswell, ruled them out before as they're so damn expensive.
  • ollaay wrote:

It was a SL4 Tarmac sold for £707 on eBay a month or so ago, still got the listing aswell saved if you're wondering with only cable rub and a few scratches.
    And yeah cheers I'll look into a Pinarello aswell, ruled them out before as they're so damn expensive.

That could have very well been a normal Specialized SL4 with S-works decals on it.

This is on sale and the price Id expect to pay for a superceded frame design

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specia ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Secondhand SL2/3/4 framesets will go for £600-1600 on ebay. The 2017 Tarmac SL4 was 'only' £2k new.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Secondhand SL2/3/4 framesets will go for £600-1600 on ebay. The 2017 Tarmac SL4 was 'only' £2k new.

Normal, not S-Works
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

Normal, not S-Works

No, these are S-Works, as discussed.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Normal, not S-Works

No, these are S-Works, as discussed.

The s-works Tarmac was not £2k new in 2017, it may be that in sale now but new out closer to £3k

I’ve also seen many ‘s-works’ on eBay. Either a good few years old or well used (scratched) not in pristine condition. There are also lots of copies knocking about on ebay
  • imposter2.0
    The s-works Tarmac was not £2k new in 2017, it may be that in sale now but new out closer to £3k

The RRP was £2600 - you can look it up. But nobody pays RRP...
  • Imposter wrote:

Last time I looked 2600 was closer to 3000 than 2000

And your still probably looking at current prices not 2017. A website saying was £2600 is probably the previous reduction a few months back.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

Last time I looked 2600 was closer to 3000 than 2000

Like I said though - the point is what they actually sell for, not what the RRP is. So your contention that S-Works Tarmac frames 'a few years old' will still be selling for £2-3k - when they didn't sell for that much when they were new - is somewhat inaccurate. But never mind...
  • I never said that though. I said they don’t sell for 2000 which is the upper figure you gave
  • imposter2.0
    edited January 2018
    I never said that though. I said they don’t sell for 1600 which is the upper figure you gave

Here's what you said:
    £650 for an S-Works frame? It would most probably either been very old, fake or broken. If you can get a good nick genuine one for that price good luck to you but a new or a few years old at least will still be about 2-3 grand.

But like I said, don't fret it..
  • Matthewfalle
    I'd still buy a CAAD 12 over a second hand plastic frame.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0

TP would still pay over the odds for it...
  • Imposter wrote:

TP would still pay over the odds for it...

If I did it’s cos I probably bought a genuine one, unlike Imposter who quite openly buys fake knock off junk.
  • imposter2.0
    the gift that keeps on giving :lol:
  • 15 minutes to think of a good comeback and that’s his best effort :?
  • Enough hijacking of the thread. Your idea of the CAAD was probably ideal for the op. Especially if racing. It can take a knock
  • Matthewfalle
    Sorry. Just wondered why someone wanted a second hand plastic frame instead of a better brand new lighter stiffer frame.

I shall make a strategic movement in a rearward direction .........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    It can take a knock

Unlike you, clearly. Anthropology 101 :lol:

This is like online bullying, or something. Good job I'm not sensitive to this kind of stuff.

All I said was that estimates of used S-Works frames costing £3k were wildly innacurate. Which they evidently are. TP then loses his mind and Private Falle hides in his dugout to egg him on from a safe distance.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    You guys back early from a heavy night out?
  • Mad_Malx wrote:

I suggested going back to the thread and move away from hijacking it, I really tried but Others won’t let it go
  • Matthewfalle
    Bit Websters really isn't he? Tries hard though, so let's give him best endeavour at least.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bit Websters really isn't he? Tries hard though, so let's give him best endeavour at least.

Now now, don’t encourage him. I’d rather we just got this thread back on track. Get a CAAD. Solid, light and good for racing.
  • imposter2.0
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Brothers in arms, those two. A bit like the song. Very, very close.