bib shorts and bog stops !!

Comments

• trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Take Imodium, own brand from HomeBargins £0.69 = no poo.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    mrfpb wrote:
    Bib shorts are actually pointless, though. I mean, your sat down on the bike. Do you feel the need for them sat at your desk or walking (or running) about. It's one of those useless innovations that marketing men have told us are essential.

And no, I don't own any.
    Well, I have had normal shorts start to slide down and bibs prevent this. I prefer them. You also have no waistband that can dig into your belly flesh.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I would like to say mrfpb is full of sh1t.....but I suspect I am wrong on that front as he seems so regular when out riding... :mrgreen:

PP
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    This is a pretty crappy thread.....

I'll get my coat ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,155
    cougie wrote:
    Passing someone with a builder's bum isn't a good look...
    Passing someone's probably the best option. Having a builder's bum keeps people off your wheel though so it's not all bad.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    wongataa wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    Bib shorts are actually pointless, though. I mean, your sat down on the bike. Do you feel the need for them sat at your desk or walking (or running) about. It's one of those useless innovations that marketing men have told us are essential.

And no, I don't own any.
    Well, I have had normal shorts start to slide down and bibs prevent this. I prefer them. You also have no waistband that can dig into your belly flesh.

A sensible answer at last. I do have a bit of a muffin top that my jersey can't disguise, but the sight of it in the mirror before I leave motivates me to burn more fat. As I tend to ride alone I don't get any comments re: builders bum, but I've never found my base layer getting untucked, or felt a draft round the back. I'm not going to switch to bibs. Tights/shorts are just too convenient in comparison
  • pilot_pete
    You may feel they are a tyranny, too much hassle and are not going to change. Fine. Others feel differently, funnily the vast majority of road cyclists feel differently. And I think most riders don’t have to do numbers twos every time they go out for a ride; most go before so it really isn’t an issue. I can probably count on my fingers the very few occasions over the years where I have used a cafe stop for a number two, so taking my jersey off and hanging it on the door coat hook wasn’t exactly taxing.

In my experience bibs fit better, stay put better, are more comfortable (no waistband) and especially winter bibs, provide more warmth for your midriff. Not only that, but they look better (especially if you don’t have muffin tops). So I’m going to stay with my choice.

PP
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    You may feel they are a tyranny, too much hassle and are not going to change. Fine. Others feel differently, funnily the vast majority of road cyclists feel differently. And I think most riders don’t have to do numbers twos every time they go out for a ride; most go before so it really isn’t an issue. I can probably count on my fingers the very few occasions over the years where I have used a cafe stop for a number two, so taking my jersey off and hanging it on the door coat hook wasn’t exactly taxing.

In my experience bibs fit better, stay put better, are more comfortable (no waistband) and especially winter bibs, provide more warmth for your midriff. Not only that, but they look better (especially if you don’t have muffin tops). So I’m going to stay with my choice.

PP

Nailed it....... /close thread
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    mrfpb wrote:

And no, I don't own any.

Bib shorts do serve a purpose. Non-bib shorts are for people that sit down to pee.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For those of us who were cycling when lycra shorts were new, bib shorts didn't exist - you'd either be riding along hoiking them up frequently or used a pair of clip on braces that didn't hold very well and would frequently ping-off mid-ride. The first bib shorts were a revelation in this respect. I've never encountered the OPs original problem, even doing 24hr rides. For multi-day endurance events, I find that regular use of analgesic+codeine also helps mitigate the problem, and it works-out eventually ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    If I’m on a ride where I know I’ll be stopping, I put the bibs on, with the straps outside the top / jersey. It looks a bit like wearing your undies outside your trousers, but meh, it saves a lot of messing about, having to find a cubicle, at a stop point, regardless of whether taking a leak, or having to ‘drop the kids off at the pool’. It means it’s a marginally quicker operation as well. You also get a bit of ‘chafe protection’ on the shoulders.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    so.....getting back to my original post...why don't manufacturers make bib shorts for men that you do not need to disrobe or stretch the 'old man' in order to facilitate a toilet stop...

please dont shoot me down but what about gender free cycle clothing?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Because there isn't a need for them, otherwise there'd be plenty of them available. Putting it in context; your need is like a piss in the ocean with regards to demand.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    I have had bib shorts from at least 10 manufacturers.
    Not one has prevented me from urinating in relative comfort. Lycra stretches.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Anonymous
    edited January 2018
    Its not the discomfort...and its o behind a tree etc when your out in the wilderness but last ride out before winter hit I got some very strange looks ( laughs ) when I used the local council w/c ( no jokes about George Michael etc ) :)

there has been similar comments raised on other forums about design of bib shorts - ie , if a female bib short can have a clasp at the front to facilitate toilet breaks without removing layers then when can't a mens short do the same etc

The most likely answer is market forces...and the design has been around since year DOT...so will have to put up or shut up as the saying goes....or hit the ladies rail on the next sale and try a pair :)
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I have had bib shorts from at least 10 manufacturers.
    Not one has prevented me from urinating in relative comfort. Lycra stretches.
    My experience as well. As an aside, I have also got a couple of pairs of Lusso Max Repel bib tights and they came with a zip at the front which makes an easy task even easier- don't know why others don't do it.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its not the discomfort...and its o behind a tree etc when your put in the wilderness but last ride out before winter hit I got some very strange looks ( laughs ) when I used the local council w/c ( no jokes about George Michael etc ) :)

I don't think you're meant to look round in the toilet. Just how busy were these loos ? Can't remember the last time anyone else was in a loo used on a bike ride ?
  • Anonymous
    cougie wrote:
    Its not the discomfort...and its o behind a tree etc when your put in the wilderness but last ride out before winter hit I got some very strange looks ( laughs ) when I used the local council w/c ( no jokes about George Michael etc ) :)

I don't think you're meant to look round in the toilet. Just how busy were these loos ? Can't remember the last time anyone else was in a loo used on a bike ride ?

I try to look at the floor or my own space.....no eye contact is the important bit :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    So you didn't get any strange looks ?
  • pblakeney
    cougie wrote:
    So you didn't get any strange looks ?
    They were on the floor looking up. :lol:
    :shock:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Anonymous
    d'oh
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I put the bibs on, with the straps outside the top / jersey.

Wait.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,936
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Lycra stretches.
    It certainly does. This is one weird thread.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I did have a Louis Garneau race suit, with a “call of nature flap” built in a few years ago, it got wrecked in a pile up, and I’m not sure they make them anymore. It was a great idea.
  • pilot_pete
    edited January 2018
    Milemuncher1 models the new Louis Garneau race suit. It is a not so ‘close knit’ weave from a material called wool. Garneau claim it makes you faster yet keeps you cooler at the same time. Apparently the loose weave allows maximum airflow and the flap at the back not only allows you to jettison unwanted ballast at any time, but can also be left open to stop wheelsuckers. :?

When asked about the comfort and wisdom regarding buttons on the @rse they told me fark orff! :shock:

Nice chopper by the way Mr Muncher! :wink:

6_E4_EB871_9645_4_D61_9_A4_C_53658_E7_F2861.jpg

PP
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I put the bibs on, with the straps outside the top / jersey.

Wait.

Excellent - so when we see you dressed like this we'll know you are looking forward to your poo stop.

This thread gets more and more bizarre.
  • pilot_pete
    I did have a Louis Garneau race suit, with a “call of nature flap”...it got wrecked in a pile up...
    that conjours up a horrible image of a huge pile of poo wrecking your flap... :?

PP
  • pblakeney
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    I did have a Louis Garneau race suit, with a “call of nature flap”...it got wrecked in a pile up...
    that conjours up a horrible image of a huge pile of poo wrecking your flap... :?

PP
    I know that PP stands for Pilot Pete but I can't help reading Pip Pip. Don't know why. :?
    Not adding much to the debate, but then neither is anything else.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pilot_pete
    Could be pee pee, poop poop, parp parp, plonk plonk, plop plop....whatever fits I guess!

PP

Oh and I think valuable contributions to this thread stopped quite a while back.... :wink:

And are you PB lakeney, or P Blakeney? :mrgreen:
  • pblakeney
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Could be pee pee, poop poop, parp parp, plonk plonk, plop plop....whatever fits I guess!

PP

Oh and I think valuable contributions to this thread stopped quite a while back.... :wink:

And are you PB lakeney, or P Blakeney? :mrgreen:
    Small "L".
    Veronese68 wrote: