bib shorts and bog stops !!

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2018 in Road general
being fairly new to road cycling I am puzzled as to why the kit designers have never thought of changing the design of bib shorts to facilitate easier '' access '' when visiting the loo.....while wearing bib shorts

I always feel like Houdini whenever I have to dis-robe in a public loo to go for a ....... I will leave you to imagine that bit

Or fumbling around( sorry ) when going for a pee...strange looks being given by the chap next to me of a non cycling persuasion !!

My wife has some Assos bib shorts which have a single strap to the front joined together with a clip which enables easier
''access'' -
https://www.assos.com/t-laalalaishorts- ... BP&lang=en

She loves them as it means she doesn't have to Start removing her windproof / jersey etc etc when nipping into the loo

And I note that several other manufacturers have produced a similar product design, solely for the female form...

So why not for male shorts ?

:D:D:D

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Unbelievable
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    You will get used to it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Maybe go for a poo before you go out ?
  • Anonymous
    Fenix wrote:
    Maybe go for a poo before you go out ?

:roll: :roll:
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    being fairly new to road cycling I am puzzled as to why the kit designers have never thought of changing the design of bib shorts to facilitate easier '' access '' when visiting the loo.....while wearing bib shorts

I always feel like Houdini whenever I have to dis-robe in a public loo to go for a ....... I will leave you to imagine that bit

Or fumbling around( sorry ) when going for a pee...strange looks being given by the chap next to me of a non cycling persuasion !!

My wife has some Assos bib shorts which have a single strap to the front joined together with a clip which enables easier
    ''access'' -
    https://www.assos.com/t-laalalaishorts- ... BP&lang=en

She loves them as it means she doesn't have to Start removing her windproof / jersey etc etc when nipping into the loo

And I note that several other manufacturers have produced a similar product design, solely for the female form...

So why not for male shorts ?

:D:D:D

Wouldnt you still have to undress to get the bibs back on? As I like to wee a lot I dont wear bibs!
  • Anonymous
    the significant other says they are a doddle to get back on...so just taking her word for it...

the one strap at the front makes sense....for standing position toilet needs and male anatomy position ( !! ) :)
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I find that a combination of the stretchability of the bib front and the, erm, form factor of the flexible drain hose I can "up-and-over". This obviously depends on the design of the bib shorts (how high the front is, how stretchy the material is) and the, erm, form factor of the flexible drain hose.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't pros just poo as they ride along?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    figbat wrote:
    I find that a combination of the stretchability of the bib front and the, erm, form factor of the flexible drain hose I can "up-and-over". This obviously depends on the design of the bib shorts (how high the front is, how stretchy the material is) and the, erm, form factor of the flexible drain hose.
    :D:D:lol:
  • Try a time trial skin suit. You will never complain about bib shorts again after using them.
  • Anonymous
    ha ha !!! nice one. :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    cooldad wrote:

No.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You need to weigh up the compromise, depending on if you spend more time on the bog than you do riding. If you do, then bib shorts are probably not for you. On the other hand, if you spend more time riding than you do sitting on the bog, then bib shorts are a worthwhile compromise, IMO.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Bib shorts are actually pointless, though. I mean, your sat down on the bike. Do you feel the need for them sat at your desk or walking (or running) about. It's one of those useless innovations that marketing men have told us are essential.

And no, I don't own any.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    mrfpb wrote:
    Bib shorts are actually pointless, though. I mean, your sat down on the bike.

What's that got to do with it?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,528
    cougie wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

No.

not sure about that, there's a bit in "a dog in a hat" where the author is ordered to hand over his (new) cap so the leader can slip it into his shorts and fill it up - and presumably then dispose of it, can't see him wanting it back afterwards

it sounds like a viable option
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cougie
    Pretty sure that is not the norm and the leader had an upset tum.

If people don't feel bibs are for them then that's fine - but if you've not had a pair before you probably don't know what you're talking about. Sagging lycra isn't a good look.
  • Ask Doumalin how he gets on with them
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    One thing about bib shorts is that they are a well known cure for incontinence. How ever many times you've been to the loo before, as soon as you put them on your body magically decides that it has found just one more waste deposit to jettison...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    edited January 2018
    ^Think you meant 'constipation'
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Or urinary retention
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,528
    cougie wrote:
    Pretty sure that is not the norm and the leader had an upset tum.

If people don't feel bibs are for them then that's fine - but if you've not had a pair before you probably don't know what you're talking about. Sagging lycra isn't a good look.

i probably should have added a :D

bibs all the way
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mrfpb
    Sagging lycra - thats about the right fit, and about "looks". Skin tight lycra around the nether regions isnt a good look either. So no stated advantages for on-the- bike use of bibs. I'll stick with non bib tights and shorts, I think, and enjoy hassle free toilet stops
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    ^Think you meant 'constipation'
    I did indeed. Not much use for incontinence, given the porous nature of lycra.
  • cougie
    Sagging lycra is not what you want. You'll get it caught on the saddle nose. If there were no advantages of bibs then they'd not be the most popular short out. Passing someone with a builder's bum isn't a good look...
  • Anonymous
    saggy / baggy lycra.......im gonna vom !!!!
  • mrfpb
    saggy / baggy lycra.......im gonna vom !!!!

Surely a bit of saggi-bagginess would accommodate your toiletting needs, and do away with the loo stop altogether.

I'm still not seeing any practical advantages that bibs have over the right size of tights. Saddle snag is about fit. Never had an issue in lycra, only in my commuting gear. "Everyone else wears them" just backs up my original comments on marketing expertise.

Liberate yourselves, and your bowels, from the tyranny of bibs.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I love Rapha’s Brevet bib shorts and tights, they’re very comfortable, but the front is so high it’s very difficult to answer a call of nature.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    cld531c wrote:
    Wouldnt you still have to undress to get the bibs back on? As I like to wee a lot I dont wear bibs!

you dont have to undress as much is the thing, with standard bibs youve no choice but to take your jersey top completely off to have a toilet break,which is usually when everything then falls out of the pockets.

With the halter neck clasp you can unclip it fairly easily, its just getting them back up is slightly more challenging as you have to feed the strap back up your back to get it back over your head, but worst case you just have to unzip your top down a bit to give you enough elbow bending contortion room, and that may depend on your body shape anyway, so you dont feel like you are completely undressing everytime you want to pee.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,746
    awavey wrote:
    cld531c wrote:

you dont have to undress as much is the thing, with standard bibs youve no choice but to take your jersey top completely off to have a toilet break,which is usually when everything then falls out of the pockets.

With the halter neck clasp you can unclip it fairly easily, its just getting them back up is slightly more challenging as you have to feed the strap back up your back to get it back over your head, but worst case you just have to unzip your top down a bit to give you enough elbow bending contortion room, and that may depend on your body shape anyway, so you dont feel like you are completely undressing everytime you want to pee.
    Full length zip jerseys.
    Problem solved.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.