TV coverage for the 2018 season

gweeds
gweeds Posts: 2,565
edited February 2018 in Pro race
Thought it might be worth having one thread where people can find who’s showing what and when.

Sadly looks like no live Tour Down Umder coverage this year.
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Comments

• I think I'm right in saying that Sky, having taken a direct lift from Australian TV for the years previously, didn't show it last year either?

First race on UK TV might end up being Cadel again as Eurosport do show this, albeit delayed.
  • gweeds
    IIRC The now-defunct Bike channel showed the TDU last year.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Gweeds wrote:
    IIRC The now-defunct Bike channel showed the TDU last year.

You could be right - I'm trying to remember how i watched it.
  • The 2018 Santos Tour Down Under TV broadcast will be shown exclusively across the Nine Network in Australia.

The 2018 Santos Tour Down Under will also be broadcast internationally on multiple networks across Europe, Asia and the Americas.

Europe
    France – L’Equipe
    Italy – BikeChannel
    Belgium – Telenet
    Denmark – TV2 DK
    Norway – TV2 Sportkanalen
    Netherlands – Ziggo Sport
    Czech Republic and *sk Slovakia – Digi Sport
    North America
    USA – Universal HD / NBC Sports
    Canada – Sportsnet

So, no UK coverage. Best bet for a foreign feed out of that lot is probably L'Equipe. There's usually one kicking about.
    Don't know which, if any of the above are live though.
    No idea what the delayed video situation will be like.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Are we really that desperate to watch the Tour Down Under?

I make do with a 2 minute highlights package that seems to be about 90 seconds too long
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    I wouldn't mind a daily 30-40 min highlight package of every race all season tbh.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Good news for those able to receive L'Equipe is an increase in cycling coverage (150 days promised). Looking forward to L'Etoile de Besseges in a few weeks time (or even the TDU next week!)

https://www.lequipe.fr/Medias/Actualites/L-etoile-de-besseges-et-le-tour-du-limousin-nouvelle-aquitaine-sur-la-chaine-l-equipe/865188
  • hommelbier wrote:
    Good news for those able to receive L'Equipe is an increase in cycling coverage (150 days promised). Looking forward to L'Etoile de Besseges in a few weeks time (or even the TDU next week!)

https://www.lequipe.fr/Medias/Actualites/L-etoile-de-besseges-et-le-tour-du-limousin-nouvelle-aquitaine-sur-la-chaine-l-equipe/865188

They are showing the TDU as live. Stage 1 is on Tuesday at 2-45pm GMT, for 2 hours.
    The criterium is being shown just after midday on the 15th.

Ziggo in the Netherlands are showing the TDU live, but only on digi cable, so no go.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Apparently 50% of people think Cycling is boring!!

DTK1M1mW0AE65hb.jpg:large
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

Everything's boring if you don't follow it. A sport is a soap opera.
  • I'm a big football fan but to be honest I find watching most teams I don't have a strong interest in boring. I can dip in and out of matches that are on TV and will even fast forward highlights to incidents of note. I can stick on the cycling and watch all day (in the right circumstances). Different strokes for different folks.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I think 50% of cycling is boring.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:

Or in the case of the minor tours and one day races which have _________________ profiles, 99%!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    RichN95 wrote:

Or in the case of the minor tours and one day races which have _________________ profiles, 99%!

Oi Tour of Qatar had some real humdingers I’ll have you know.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Oi Tour of Qatar had some real humdingers I’ll have you know.

I'll givr you that, wind is the friend of the viewer if not the rider.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

Pah. Any sport can be boring if you only glimpse it occasionally.

One thing to note regarding that survey is that many of the 'most boring' sports are those which do not get much (free) tv coverage.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Joelsim wrote:

Everything's boring if you don't follow it. A sport is a soap opera.

never been a fan of golf. Us coverage is particularly bad, because when they go to an advert break the international feed just shows a locked off shot of a tree \ lake etc. Why not still continue broadcasting on the international feed while the US is on a break !!

Wonder who the survey was targeted at ? That can have a big effect on the results.

TDU isn't a great race usually the highlights on their facebook page are enough for me. If we get it delayed i'll record it though. Hope we don't have Phil and Paul on the commentary though, used to be great but not a fan of them any more
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    If you speak Spanish, Contador is co-commentator on Spanish Eurosport for most world tour races.

(he's also doing it if you don't speak Spanish, but it may be less relevant information for you).
  • joelsim
    Velon app here that you can watch live racing, first up TDU.

http://www.velon.cc/en/news/2018/01/tou ... se-preview
  • Can't access the tv guide to check right now but apparently TDU now on Freesports?
  • gweeds
    Looks like you’re right. Showing at live coverage on Sky (ch 424) from 1am Tuesday morning.
  • Gweeds wrote:
    Looks like you’re right. Showing at live coverage on Sky (ch 424) from 1am Tuesday morning.

and for those with real withdrawal symptoms, i believe the crit on sunday is also on
  • gweeds
    Gweeds wrote:

and for those with real withdrawal symptoms, i believe the crit on sunday is also on
    Again yes. Just found that one. 8.45am Sunday morning

Good find!
  • Can't access the tv guide to check right now but apparently TDU now on Freesports?

Great news.
    I had a sneaky feeling that it might turn up here and had been checking from time to time.
    Maybe Freesports will also pick up a few of the other Bike Channel cherries.
  • joelsim
    Gweeds wrote:

Doesn't appear on my EPG for channel 424.
  • Unfortunately Freesports' picture quality is on a par with BIKE's but any port in a storm and all that.

My understanding is that Freesports is basically a fence for all unclaimed / unwanted UK TV rights to parade their wares. Hopefully as suggested above they do pick up some of the rights going a begging.

https://www.freesports.tv/

There's a clash with NHL for 2 of the stages (Wed and Fri AM) so there is a delayed coverage on those days. TBH I'll be watching on a recording anyway! Haven't seen 1am since about 2010.
  • joelsim
    TBH I'll be watching on a recording anyway! Haven't seen 1am since about 2010.

Poor thing.

Come out with me next weekend.

https://youtu.be/ogrD7ulSqyg
  • Joelsim wrote:
    TBH I'll be watching on a recording anyway! Haven't seen 1am since about 2010.

Poor thing.

Come out with me next weekend.

https://youtu.be/ogrD7ulSqyg

:lol:
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    I noticed this morning that Eurosport Player is back on Samsung Tizen smart TVs. That's probably meaningless to most people but it beats casting etc in my opnion.