Just got a (very) unique italian custom built road bike

VolodymyrSR
VolodymyrSR Posts: 22
edited June 2018 in Your road bikes
Hey there mates
I could not help sharing this with you
The bike is something outlandish when it comes to...everything!
I will outline the main points:
1. It is a bike of an Itallian racer Gian Paolo Miodini (not a very famous one, though) who has a racing team of the same name and a bike shop somewhere in Italy
2. It has got a custom made steel frame. The tubing is Columbus. Unfortunately, I do not know the specific model of the tubes.
3. The frame size is 66 cm! That is 26 inches in old money. I speak about seat tube here.
4. At the same time, this huge steel frame (with carbon seat stays) weighs just a bit over 2 kilos, that is 4.4 lbs)
5. Despite the long seat tube, reach (seatpost - headset) is only 59cm (23 inches) which makes it quite comfortable for me being 189 cm (6' 2")
Here come facts not that fascinating
The bike is from ~2004.
Groupset is campagnolo centaur which is something in between shimano 105\ultegra.
Wheelset is a pretty cheap one, mavic cosmos which was produced in 2004 only.
Seatpost, stem and handlebars are Ritchey. Aluminum only. I also got shimano 520 pedals with it
The carbon fork is Columbus carve, 2004 as well.
All in all, the giant steel bike comes in 9.5kg (that is just a bit less than 21 pounds) given the depressing wheelset which in total contributes to 3 kilos, or 6.6 pounds.
The photo is a dated one. Now i will use another wheelset that i have already ordered (fulcrum racing 7). It is not much better, merely a result of my decision to opt for another wheelset for winter.
The bottom line:
I have put this bike up here to get your thoughts about it. Likes dislikes, ideas for future modifications are more than welcome. Can you guess how much did it cost?
My vision is:
I have already changed the seat height and reversed the stem, btw.
I want to restore the frame as nicely as possible. There are some dents and imperfections.
Next will be the wheelset dillema. I want to get it to less than 9 kg (19.8 lbs) because it is achievable without using any CF parts. Therefore, I will have to cut 500 gramms (1.1 pound) on the wheelset, getting it to 5.5 pounds (2.5kg)
Finally: this is not a racing machine. I use it for amatour training and commuting. Hope it will make a delight for eyes someday.
2Jqlk2.jpg

Comments

• Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Thats huge!
  • beanstalk
    beanstalk Posts: 143
    I want to get it to less than 9 kg (19.8 lbs) because it is achievable without using any CF parts. Therefore, I will have to cut 500 gramms (1.1 pound) on the wheelset, getting it to 5.5 pounds (2.5kg)
    Why just the wheel-set?
    It seems there is a lot of heavy stuff on this bike.
  • beanstalk wrote:
    It seems there is a lot of heavy stuff on this bike.
    Actually, not so much.
    The groupset is out of question, i won't change anything there
    The saddle is heavy. 363 gramms, but it is gelflow selle italia. The thing is so comfortable I can ride in jeans. Won't change it.
    The seatpost comes in 286. I might trim it a bit when I get the chance.
    Handlebars - 285. Carbon will save 80 gramms, what for?
    Pedals are 380 gramms, but I won't consider replacing them as long as they do the job
    And..well, that's it.
    Looks like wheels are the most sensible to change. At least to me
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    You can easily cut nearly 1kg from the weight of your current wheelset.

Just as an example that won't break the bank - Malcolm at the Cycleclinic offers a set of handbuilt wheels with Borg 22 rims on Miche hubs for £305. These have a claimed weight of 1.6kg (without tyres)

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... r-wheelset

Also there are numerous factory wheels that will also weigh in around the same figure or less. The Campag Zonda wheels are well regarded and have a claimed weight of 1.54kg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/camp ... 6427677533)&ptaid=pla-143367995808&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Product+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|ssyn5jCum_dc|pcrid|161846734999|pkw||pmt||prd|559457UK
  • So i have just recieced my fulcrum racing 7 wheelset. It is an older model wih 24/20 spokes.
    It weighs 1850g in total.
    My cassette is 320g, miche campagnolo 10 speed
    The tires-to-be are maxxis detonator 25c folding, 245gramms each
    my inner tubes weigh 100 gramms
    So we get 1850+320+245+245+100+100=2860 gramms
    Since I bought them slightly used for less than $100, not that bad.
  • beanstalk
    edited January 2018
    Actually, not so much.
    It is quite a bit according to your following list.
    You want to save weight but you are unwilling to change any parts, odd.
    There are saddles out there at least a 100 gramms lighter which are just as comfortable. Keep looking.
    Your pedals will do the job for the next decade, but you could save 100 gramms by switching to f.e. PD-A600.
    What about the fork, it seems it is the version with aluminium crown and steerer. If it is -> 150-200gramms there.
    Handlebars - 285. Carbon will save 80 gramms, what for?
    What for? How would I know, you're the one who wants to shave of half a kilogramm.
    Looks like wheels are the most sensible to change. At least to me
    Manufacturers weight for the bare Cosmos wheels is 1800 gramms. If you want to save 500gramms there, you are at 1300gramms which is seriously light -> expensive and/or flimsy.
  • beanstalk
    So i have just recieced my fulcrum racing 7 wheelset. It is an older model wih 24/20 spokes.
    It weighs 1850g in total.
    So it's heavier than the Mavic Cosmos...
    My cassette is 320g, miche campagnolo 10 speed
    Even a Veloce cassette is considerably lighter, 260g incl. lock ring for 12-23.
    my inner tubes weigh 100 gramms
    Schwalbe SV20 65-70gramms
  • Beanstalk,
    You point out some very nice things. As for the fork, it is full carbon, comes in 420g.
    Looks like I have to reconsider my outlook regarding weight reduction :)
  • beanstalk
    Personally I wouldn't change a thing on this bike to make it lighter. It makes little sense for training and commuting.
    I would change things in terms of fitting only and I would get rid of the Cosmos wheel-set because it is not reviewed very well and I like wider rims.
  • I hope to try out Fulcrums someday soon. Will post an update after that. However, I do not think it is going to change the riding experience much.
    I use 23c with totally flat tread area (specialized turbo). I will leave them on cosmos wheel for now. The new tires will be 25c with some tread design. I hope they will provide better grip on wet road. They may also be a bit less stiff, but it does not really matter to me, since what i got now is a pretty soft ride.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    As has already been said above, it seems a bit of a wasted exercise buying a bike like this if weight is an issue for you, particularly if it's primary use is commuting and training. I'm guessing also that if you fit a 66cm frame you're easily going to weigh >90kgs? If so, what's a couple of kgs gonna make in the grand scheme of things? I'd swap the wheels for something stiffer and that will accept slightly wider rubber. You won't go far wrong with handbuilts similar to those described above from Cycle Clinic or the newer Zondas.
  • Weight is not an issue. At least not a physical one. Might be a psychological though.
    Seems like you have managed to guide me in the correct direction. Won't aim at weight reduction as long as I am fine with the way it rides.
    I am very lean and I weigh a bit less than 70kg, btw
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Wow. At a guess you've gotta be 6'5 plus if you fit this frame and you weigh 11 stone? You must look like a well dressed woodbine as my old boss used to say.
  • I am 6'3. The reach is short enough for me (59cm) to feel alright.
  • An update.
    Have not changed the front wheel yet, though.
    photo5397619554642929830.jpg
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Need to sort the saddle dude.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You can't have very unique.

It's either unique or it isn't..
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Frames to big for you OP, well at least from setup in the pic above it seems it is.

would be good to see a side pic of you on the bike in your riding position (hoods/drops and outer leg in the downstroke)
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    http://www.miodinibike.it

this the fella ??
  • Yes, it is that
  • What's wrong with the saddle?
    I will also remind you that seat tube is 66cm while the top tube is 59cm that is why the saddle is low. It feels like an ordinary 59*59 frame
    I will try to take a pic of me on it
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Saddle needs levelling, tilting backwards
  • beanstalk
    JesseD wrote:
    Frames to big for you OP
    Not necessarily.
    Top tube is rather short for this size and he might be comfortable with little elevation (saddle height above bar).
    Other guys with little elevation have a lot of spacers, he has tall frame/long steering tube...

Levelling the saddle might be a good idea and your bar-ergopower-setup looks odd.
    To most riders a level upper bar that continues into level hoods is comfortable, like this:
    4246053230_9278319061_b.jpg

Your upper bar seems to rise and then the Ergopowers drop...
  • This is the way how I deliberately put the saddle. I feel much more comfortable in this position as compared to 0 tilt
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    I knew you was going to post that
  • I will level the saddle and ride some km in that postition.
    As for the handlebars, I find them great. They offer 3 different positions in the drops. I cannot use the thumb lever only in one of them, so..
  • Saddle - leveled.
    Front wheel - replaced for the sake of a wheelset
    HsDWXY.jpg
  • Update on the look:
    Changed the handlebars angle, handlebar wrap, lowered the stem by placing the spacer on top on it, not underneath
    %D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B4.jpg
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It is starting to look more normal now but the frame is still too big.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.