Alpe d'Huez Beginner

Comments

• Mercia Man wrote:
    I think you are onto something there, Brakeless. As well as claiming to have ridden it in 92 or 94 on an 11 speed 11-32 cassette, MM says he was using a 50/34 compact chainset. They didn’t appear until the mid 2000s. I know because I was one of the early adopters, buying a compact to ride the Maratona in 2007.

That’s just my age showing, it was friction shifters, clanger up front, and 7 speeds, on a steel Peugeot back then.
  • Fenix wrote:
    If you've done the Alpe then you'd have no fear of climbing British hills.....
    The British road engineers tend to just stick the roads straight up the middle, the Continentals put more than one corner in.
  • Mercia Man wrote:
    I think you are onto something there, Brakeless. As well as claiming to have ridden it in 92 or 94 on an 11 speed 11-32 cassette, MM says he was using a 50/34 compact chainset. They didn’t appear until the mid 2000s. I know because I was one of the early adopters, buying a compact to ride the Maratona in 2007.

That’s just my age showing, it was friction shifters, clanger up front, and 7 speeds, on a steel Peugeot back then.

Ever heard of 'stop digging'?
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I'd suggest that most British lanes have nothing to do with engineers, but are simply tracks that have evolved over the years.
    It's difficult to compare steep British or Flandrian climbs with alpine ones IMO, it's not really like for like. If someone was to ask me what would involve the most effort, Whitedown or ADH, it would be ADH every time. ADH would be a steady effort of an hour or more, whereas Whitedown (and similar) is only a few minutes. Ok, on Whitedown you've got to dig in on a couple of hairpins, but some of the ADH hairpins are also steep, and there's more of them.
    I'd agree with Fenix, once you've got some of the Alpine climbs under your belt, then you'll definitely feel more confident tackling British ones, even if it's just a psychological head start, it's worth having.
    Chapeau to the OP, for someone who probably doesn't consider himself a cyclist, turning up with a bargain basement bike and tackling ADH is a pretty good call.
  • Svetty wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Not necessarily - the Alpe just requires you to sit there for an hour and a bit putting out 180W or so. Doing Hardknott, Rosedale, Trooper Lane etc is waaay harder :wink:

Very true. Even the sharp bits of White Down Lane are worse than doing the Alp. Simply because of the evil inclines on the corners. Give me a ( mostly steady ) 13 - 14 Kms than a ‘steppy’ bastard like the Hardknott, Leith, staples, or White Down, any day.

Staples Lane harder than Alpe D'Huez. Alpe D'Huez not being "steppy". Brilliant work.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Staples Lane harder than Alpe D'Huez. Alpe D'Huez not being "steppy". Brilliant work.

I'm in sympathy with doubts over the veracity of certain claims made by others but tbf L'Alpe isn't 'steppy' it's just a steady climb zig-zagging up the hillside. I have to say it's one of my least favourite climbs in the region being on a wide and rather busy road, there are much nicer climbs locally and much harder ones e.g. the Col du Sabot beyond Vaujany is a gem.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Not necessarily - the Alpe just requires you to sit there for an hour and a bit putting out 180W or so. Doing Hardknott, Rosedale, Trooper Lane etc is waaay harder :wink:

Very true. Even the sharp bits of White Down Lane are worse than doing the Alp. Simply because of the evil inclines on the corners. Give me a ( mostly steady ) 13 - 14 Kms than a ‘steppy’ bastard like the Hardknott, Leith, staples, or White Down, any day.

Again, each to their own. I prefer ADH, because although it goes on and on, it’s not as harsh feeling, and it’s easier to get into a rhythm and keep it. In my opinion the climbs I’ve done over here are just far nastier, but again YMMV, I don’t care. It’s probably more psychological in nature, but I hate some of the hills over here with a passion, I’d quite relish another trip up ADH. And as I’ve said, anyone who doubts me, just come along on one of my ( numerous) rides, that I lay on. Hell, I’ve even been given Mole Valley, and London, as ‘patches’ now. It’s either put up, or STFU. I’m easy either way. Of course, you need to actually own a bike, and actually ride it, which will most likely filter out the majority of the troll posters.
  • Svetty wrote:

I'm in sympathy with doubts over the veracity of certain claims made by others but tbf L'Alpe isn't 'steppy' it's just a steady climb zig-zagging up the hillside. I have to say it's one of my least favourite climbs in the region being on a wide and rather busy road, there are much nicer climbs locally and much harder ones e.g. the Col du Sabot beyond Vaujany is a gem.

Exactly right.
  • The Col de Sabot is very nice, of course, it just stops, forcing you to come back and have a pint in Stief's bar. Which is fine.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • FFS. Claims it was ridden using 50/34, 11-32 then suddenly remembers it was a 7 speed steel Peugot? WTF, are we dealing with Walter Mitty or an Alzeimers case here?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Just be careful coming back down, it's a very fast descent interspersed with lots of hairpins perfect for putting heat into your rims and blowing your inner tubes if you drag your brakes.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Just be careful coming back down, it's a very fast descent interspersed with lots of hairpins perfect for putting heat into your rims and blowing your inner tubes if you drag your brakes.

It was fine for Milemuncher. He had disc brakes in 1992.
  • FFS. Claims it was ridden using 50/34, 11-32 then suddenly remembers it was a 7 speed steel Peugot? WTF, are we dealing with Walter Mitty or an Alzeimers case here?

I’ve got big holes in my brain, I’m easily confused, but nothing to do with Alzheimer’s.
  • Just be careful coming back down, it's a very fast descent interspersed with lots of hairpins perfect for putting heat into your rims and blowing your inner tubes if you drag your brakes.
    Very true, the old ‘Sportive choppers’ fizz bang. Always good for a laugh.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just be careful coming back down, it's a very fast descent interspersed with lots of hairpins perfect for putting heat into your rims and blowing your inner tubes if you drag your brakes.

True that. I blew my front tyre descending in traffic after the tour one year. Thank god it was one of the few corners with a runoff. I don't use that high a pressure now.
  • Svetty wrote:

I meant the hairpins are all pretty flat in the turns then pretty steep up the straight bits. You need to change gear (or get a bit of rest) in every hairpin. It's true that there are no sustained flatter sections to make the average gradient feel unrepresentative.

Having done both, I still stand by my assertion it is harder than Staples Lane though.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Svetty wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same Staples Lane here, but I'm beginning to have my doubts...
    OP, don't get lulled into any sort of complacency, ADH is a tough HC climb, Staples is a small hill.
    The stats (from veloviewer) go something like this:

Distance: Staples 2.5km, ADH 14.4km
    Elevation gain: Staples 100m, ADH. 1127m
    Average grade: Staples 4%, ADH 7.8%
    Max grade: Staples 13.5%, ADH 19.3%
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Give me a ( mostly steady ) 13 - 14 Kms than a ‘steppy’ bastard like the Hardknott, Leith, staples, or White Down, any day.

Apples and oranges. Depends how steep the steady 13-14 Kms is. A Steady 10% will have most of us struggling, heck the climb up Mont Ventoux is steady but is probably as steep as most of Staple Lane!! Hardknott is in a different league to the rest of those "climbs". Leith and Staple Lane are pretty easy, White down is steeper while the hardest climb down south is Barhatch.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Harry-S wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same Staples Lane here, but I'm beginning to have my doubts...
    OP, don't get lulled into any sort of complacency, ADH is a tough HC climb, Staples is a small hill.
    The stats (from veloviewer) go something like this:

Distance: Staples 2.5km, ADH 14.4km
    Elevation gain: Staples 100m, ADH. 1127m
    Average grade: Staples 4%, ADH 7.8%
    Max grade: Staples 13.5%, ADH 19.3%

Can't say I ever encountered anything approaching 19.3% on Alpe D'Huez.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Guess it depends how they've measured the hairpins ? If you take the inside line I can totally see it.
  • svetty
    cougie wrote:
    Guess it depends how they've measured the hairpins ? If you take the inside line I can totally see it.
    I'd doubt that even the tightest hairpins on ADH reaches this TBH - they are reasonably flat and wide. OK, maybe for a metre or so at the very apex but even then 15% is more realistic.
  • mrb123
    Svetty wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    I'd doubt that even the tightest hairpins on ADH reaches this TBH - they are reasonably flat and wide. OK, maybe for a metre or so at the very apex but even then 15% is more realistic.

Yeah, in my experience the gradient actually flattens off a bit through the hairpins as they are so well built although I concede they might be a bit steeper at the very inside.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Harry-S wrote:

Can't say I ever encountered anything approaching 19.3% on Alpe D'Huez.
    Inside of a hairpin maybe?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Google suggests average 8.1, steepest 11.5, sounds ball park right to me, as above the hairpins are fairly flat and an opportunity to grab a few seconds recovery.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Google is fairly correct but, in real life, these things do vary. There are parts on the hairpins which are steeper, and some very short bits which exceed 15%, even if that's in mere metres.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    If you look at the individual stones within the tarmac, one of them must be at a 19% slope.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    All of this 15%, 19%, the ramp goes up to 11 is academic. Alpe d'Huez isn't an HC climb because somewhere there is a 19% ramp. It's HC because it sustains over 8% for 13 km. Because only the best pros climb it in under 40m, and that's at threshold. At 3 W/kg, it's still roughly 1h 10m. If your FTP is less, be prepared to suffer for a very, very long time.

Have I climbed it or any of the tough climbs in Britain? No. Having said that, you'll have to be very persuasive to convince me there's a single paved climb in britain as tough as Alpe d'Huez.
  • svetty
    DrHaggis wrote:
    Have I climbed it or any of the tough climbs in Britain? No. Having said that, you'll have to be very persuasive to convince me there's a single paved climb in britain as tough as Alpe d'Huez.

I have climbed ADH several times and yes there are tougher climbs in the UK - depending how you define 'tough' of course. Any reasonable cyclist can ride ADH - albeit that they might take a while, however many cyclists will struggle or fail on the steep ones I mentioned in my first posting in this thread and there are other climbs along the same lines - brutally steep with poor surfaces. Gibb Lane, Caper Hill, Mytholm Steeps for example.
  • mrb123
    DrHaggis wrote:
    All of this 15%, 19%, the ramp goes up to 11 is academic. Alpe d'Huez isn't an HC climb because somewhere there is a 19% ramp. It's HC because it sustains over 8% for 13 km. Because only the best pros climb it in under 40m, and that's at threshold. At 3 W/kg, it's still roughly 1h 10m. If your FTP is less, be prepared to suffer for a very, very long time.

The Alpe is fairly steep compared to some Alpine stuff, but with a 32 on the back you'll always be able to stay in the saddle and spin up. How much it hurts is really only dependant on how much you push on, assuming you're fairly fit to start with.

Hardknott on the other hand will always terrify me and repeated visits have done nothing to diminish that feeling of butterflies/nausea in the pit of my stomach as I ride up Eskdale knowing what is to come. There is no way to take that climb easy on a road bike and at some point you will feel like your heart and lungs are about to explode. The agony is relatively short lived I accept, but then even the descent is a deeply unpleasant experience.

I dread to think what something like the Angliru must be like - Lake District style gradients but going on for kilometre after kilometre.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Sounds like the OP is sorted with very kind offer of a free compact. I'm guessing his current chainset is 53/39 rather than 52/39, although the 39 is the important bit going uphill. Would make climbing difficult without a very large cog at the back. With a compact, I think people are getting a bit carried away about quite how big the rear gearing needs to be. I rode d'Huez on a 34/25 and found it pretty comfortable. That was at the end of the Marmotte and I came in under the hour mark (just). Also did it the night before slightly quicker, but not much as was trying to save my legs a bit. The last time I rode in the Alps I had an 11-23 on the back and that was fine as well. Obviously a lot depends on fitness, weight (I'm over 80kg so no lightweight) and perhaps most importantly heat. The day I rode the Marmotte it was a pretty pleasant 30C with a tailwind most of the day. Have ridden in the Alps at close to 40C and it makes everything a lot harder! Not convinced a 30+ cog really necessary with a compact though.